2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

The concept of a salary cap won’t be a thing for the Sabres for the foreseeable future. This was made clear by Terry at the JBott firing press conference. He wants more out of less. He has spent to the cap since he’s been owner and has nothing to show for it. He pointed out Carolina as a model of efficiency. Once the Sabres culture changes and they become a winning franchise again, then we may see spending to the cap. 

4 minutes ago, elijah said:

Do constraints actually exist though? As a Bills fan first, I feel like I’ve heard that story too many times and then suddenly when you’re good and you get a competent GM those ‘restraints’ are no longer spoken of. Not too mention at the deadline he said there were no restraints and he could use the cap space freely. Granted it didn’t turn into anything, but I’m going to choose to take his statements as truthful. 

Also, maybe I haven’t listened to enough of his interviews but regardless of his stated plan, shouldn’t the plan at the end of the day be to win? They have LOADS of cap space and it just doesn’t make sense to not use it. Does Peterka look great? Absolutely. Does that mean he should have a penciled in roster spot? Absolutely not. 

I don’t see any issue with bringing in a middle 6 40-50 point guy on short term, 1-2 years, and an inflated contract with the extra cap space we have to build competition and talent. If we want to see Peterka so bad, and we think Peterka is so good, then he should reasonably earn a spot on his own without being penciled in, no? 

So he earns a spot and gives us another forward as an expendable asset to trade for more roster improvement, what’s the problem with that? 

Doubt there is a particular $ that Adams can't exceed (so you're likely right that there aren't constraints), but considering Adams is on record that he won't make ST moves that don't make sense in the LT, doubt he brings in any skaters on high $ deals (unless it is a clear ST cap dump to help upgrade something else) but a goalie could be a high $ get if he's on a 2-3 year deal.

And really expect that he's saving cap space, not to save cash, but to have room to sign whomever he deems is a part of the core & as much of the quality support that he can while not losing pieces of the core.

7 minutes ago, kas23 said:

The concept of a salary cap won’t be a thing for the Sabres for the foreseeable future. This was made clear by Terry at the JBott firing press conference. He wants more out of less. He has spent to the cap since he’s been owner and has nothing to show for it. He pointed out Carolina as a model of efficiency. Once the Sabres culture changes and they become a winning franchise again, then we may see spending to the cap. 

We'll see spending to the cap when the current roster & guys in the system earn enough raises to bring them to the cap.  The culture is already changing / has significantly changed.  But it'll be 3 years before they get close to the cap.

26 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Neither has played any substantial time in the NHL, so they shouldn’t? I see that you are lumping Quinn in with JJP. That’s ok. But, everything Quinn has done this year says he deserves a spot in the NHL. He’s playing at 1.4 ppg. What exactly do you expect from him? Now, JJP is slightly below 1 ppg. I wouldn’t expect a spot to be handed to him, but he should be given every opportunity to win one come camp next year. 

I don’t mean to be lumping Quinn with JJP, he’s clearly at a higher level. And yes, both have seemingly earned roster spots with this seasons performance.

But either way, why not bolster the talent in the forward group on short term deals with the extra cap space that is there just to add competition and talent? Even if it means a Mitts or an Ollie getting flushed out, there’s no reason not to add more talent. Suppose they don’t fit in the top 9 because we suddenly have too much talent, and we traded them for more assets, is that a bad thing?

I’m not suggesting to add a Gaudreau at 7x$9.5M. I’m simply saying to add a 40-50 point forward or two to that middle 6 on short term 1 or 2 year deals with maybe $4.5M-$6.5M AAV. A team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 11 years shouldn’t exactly be afraid of a log jam of talent. You’re not sacrificing the future by adding short term deals when you have an abundance of cap space, you’re just adding short term talent to try and make the team better. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Should R2 be considered as a replacement for Eakin?

Or atleast a 13-14th F who draws in for injuries?

He's still developing/adjusting his NA game 

R2 is heading to Switzerland next season and is no longer part of the equation.  Asplund would be an upgrade except in the faceoff circle and that he looks more comfortable on the wing.  

Copp would be a great pick up, but I suspect he'll want a long-term deal as this is his opportunity to get a big contract.  

Boyle at 37 is probably not in KA's sights.  He has played decently for a good Pit team.

I still like the idea of acquiring Eller from Washington.  He plays on both special teams is a 30+ point guy, has some size, but is just ok in the faceoff circle.

I also like Adam Henrique from Ana.  Can still score and is good in the faceoff circle.  

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

R2 is heading to Switzerland next season and is no longer part of the equation.  Asplund would be an upgrade except in the faceoff circle and that he looks more comfortable on the wing.  

Copp would be a great pick up, but I suspect he'll want a long-term deal as this is his opportunity to get a big contract.  

Boyle at 37 is probably not in KA's sights.  He has played decently for a good Pit team.

I still like the idea of acquiring Eller from Washington.  He plays on both special teams is a 30+ point guy, has some size, but is just ok in the faceoff circle.

I also like Adam Henrique from Ana.  Can still score and is good in the faceoff circle.  

He just said he hasn't signed anything yet.

He wants to be here.

Do they want him? We'll find out. 

37 minutes ago, Norcal said:

He just said he hasn't signed anything yet.

He wants to be here.

Do they want him? We'll find out. 

Link?  EDIT:  Found the story. https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/amerks-arttu-ruotsalainen-sees-future-with-sabres-hasnt-signed-in-europe/

Interesting!  I had him high on my prospect list to start the season.  I like the kid and his game, but I don't see him as a 2-way center.  I would love to see him make it.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Andrew Copp

This. 

My dream scenario is we go all in and sign Copp, Manson and Gudrandson and trade for a decent vet goalie (willing to part with Mitts if we sign Copp).

That gives us a formidable starting D

Joker-Dahlin

Manson-Power

Gudrandson-Samuelsson

(Fitz and possibly Bryson as depth players)

Forward lines along the mix of:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Asplund-Krebs-VO

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn

Girgensens-Copp-Okposo

possible additional add of DesLauriers and/or Lazar which would also allow for a Girgensens trade.

Goalie, UPL and let's say Talbot if maybe they re-sign Fleury and we make some sort of deal around Talbot and Mitts. other goalies equally possible. 

we do that, and we are in the playoff race guaranteed. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This. 

My dream scenario is we go all in and sign Copp, Manson and Gudrandson and trade for a decent vet goalie (willing to part with Mitts if we sign Copp).

That gives us a formidable starting D

Joker-Dahlin

Manson-Power

Gudrandson-Samuelsson

(Fitz and possibly Bryson as depth players)

Forward lines along the mix of:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Asplund-Krebs-VO

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn

Girgensens-Copp-Okposo

possible additional add of DesLauriers and/or Lazar which would also allow for a Girgensens trade.

Goalie, UPL and let's say Talbot if maybe they re-sign Fleury and we make some sort of deal around Talbot and Mitts. other goalies equally possible. 

we do that, and we are in the playoff race guaranteed. 

I honestly don’t trust either Manson or Gudbranson to be worth throwing money at. Manson has been trending down every year since 2018 and Gudbranson has only ever been good this year under Sutter’s system. Manson would end up an anchor in 2 years and Gudbranson is likely to become a general liability. 

Copp is a good young player but I’m not overpaying him then dumping Mitts on the side of the road.

Lastly there are zero reasons to trade Girgensons, he’s no super player but he’s a good guy and does his job every game without question. Change for the sake of change isn’t going to make us any better.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Vinny Trocheck is winning about 55% of his draws 

I'd love to add Vinny.  He is making 6.25 this season (cap hit only 4.75).  Do you think he's even on KA's radar ?  Are the Sabres on his?  How much would it cost to get him?  Personally, I think the Canes will re-sign him, but I'd love for KA to at least kick the tires.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I honestly don’t trust either Manson or Gudbranson to be worth throwing money at. Manson has been trending down every year since 2018 and Gudbranson has only ever been good this year under Sutter’s system. Manson would end up an anchor in 2 years and Gudbranson is likely to become a general liability. 

Copp is a good young player but I’m not overpaying him then dumping Mitts on the side of the road.

Lastly there are zero reasons to trade Girgensons, he’s no super player but he’s a good guy and does his job every game without question. Change for the sake of change isn’t going to make us any better.

Well, to the RHD, they are the best available in free agency. Neither is perfect, I agree, but they would substantially upgrade what we have on the right side now, and add more team toughness. Good compliments to our speedier young puck movers. Hopefully at the same time we draft and develop RHDs and in 3 years we are moving on from both. If we don't upgrade the right side now, it'll take longer to get playoff competitive. Only other solution is trading for a better RHD but that means giving up assets, while this is just money and cap space which we have tons of. 

Copp is a different kind of player and one we lack. Again, he is the best option available in free agency.

Not dumping Mitts by the side of the road, but if we are to trade for a goalie, I see him as potentially expendable. Least valuable of the young centers we have. Krebs seems to have more potential imo.

Lastly Girgensens, just thinking it's likely his last year here anyway, so perhaps a trade while you can and go younger and/or add toughness. Nothing against the guy, just don't see him in the long term plans and am trying to think ahead.

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd love to add Vinny.  He is making 6.25 this season (cap hit only 4.75).  Do you think he's even on KA's radar ?  Are the Sabres on his?  How much would it cost to get him?  Personally, I think the Canes will re-sign him, but I'd love for KA to at least kick the tires.

See, I'm against that strategy. He's too expensive and takes us away from this group think young core dynamic he have going. 

I've been on the Manson band wagon since the Ducks traded him.  Can't see Colorado offering him a contract so he will hit the market.  The Sabres defenseman coach, Marty Wilford, was the defenseman coach for the Ducks from 2018-2021 before coming to Buffalo so he has a connection with Manson.  I don't need Manson to be a point producer. I need him to be a presence in front of the Sabres goaltender and show the young defenseman how to play in your own zone.

I'm offering Manson a 4 year contract at $5 million AAV.   Make it front loaded so contract could be easy to move the last two years.  (7,7,4, and 2.)

Just now, sweetlou said:

I've been on the Manson band wagon since the Ducks traded him.  Can't see Colorado offering him a contract so he will hit the market.  The Sabres defenseman coach, Marty Wilford, was the defenseman coach for the Ducks from 2018-2021 before coming to Buffalo so he has a connection with Manson.  I don't need Manson to be a point producer. I need him to be a presence in front of the Sabres goaltender and show the young defenseman how to play in your own zone.

I'm offering Manson a 4 year contract at $5 million AAV.   Make it front loaded so contract could be easy to move the last two years.  (7,7,4, and 2.)

I don't think the last year can be 2 due to the CBA. I think it would have to be 2.5 but maybe I am remembering the CBA wrong. 

Manson is more likely a 3mil dollar defender.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think the last year can be 2 due to the CBA. I think it would have to be 2.5 but maybe I am remembering the CBA wrong. 

I don't know all the CBA but if need be make it 7,6,4 and 3.  Just front load the first two years.  I'd rather pay a guy like Manson an extra million or two each year than Mohave to have guys like Boychuk on injury list just to hit the cap floor.

13 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I don't know all the CBA but if need be make it 7,6,4 and 3.  Just front load the first two years.  I'd rather pay a guy like Manson an extra million or two each year than Mohave to have guys like Boychuk on injury list just to hit the cap floor.

I'm fine with any overpayment for 3 years because I think we can deal with it under the cap. Joker, Dahlin, Power, Mitts, Krebs all have contracts due in 2024 so thats when the cap situation will get dicey. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this offseason is going to be one of the most interesting in a long time. With the most likely add of Quinn and JJ, (6K?), not many spots left and about 5-6 mil to add to hit the floor I believe. Really do not want to go big F/A hunting as this team seems to have an amazing chemistry that i would not even consider messing with. I would be happy giving 6K a shot at goal with Anderson as a b/u and Mentor. Maybe a vet that's seriously physical for D spot 5-6. Same with 4th line. Need to be big and can clear a space and be a bitch to move off the puck. I think we have seen what happens to big name F/A that come here.... no thank you.

The reason I don't think Manson's can be had is he is currently playing around 18 minutes of TOI in Colorado, he was playing 20 plus minutes in Anaheim. With our top 4 guys all averaging over 20 minutes of TOI, I don't see him wanting to come here to get 15 minutes tops on the 3rd pairing. We need two bottom pairing guys, Ian Cole and Gudbranson, I believe can be had relatively cheap, will add size, PK and grit to the backend and both are under utilized at the moment also.

An under the radar guy to checkout as a 4th line Center is Roy with VGK. Plays the 4th line now, adds size, speed and grit and is an RFA that'll need a raise after scoring around 40 points this year. I don't think VGK can afford him and should be available in a trade for the right price, plus he just turned 25. He can play with Girgs and Okposo for 1 year and then team up with Asplund afterward.

Edited by jsb

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

See, I'm against that strategy. He's too expensive and takes us away from this group think young core dynamic he have going. 

Why?  We need a veteran center who can win draws, score, and play a 2 way game.  I do agree that if Vinnie wants a 5 year deal that it’s a no go, but there is no issue with the kids if he’s here on a 3 year deal.  The plan is to roll 4 “equalish” lines.  Cozens, Mitts and TnT are 3/4 of the needed centers.  We have the cap space and the need so why not?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.