2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

14 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Burakovsky isn't it

20 goals once and never topped 29 assists on stacked teams. No thanks. 

Big, fast, won’t cost major bucks and scoring on the upswing last few seasons and won a cup with Washington so he has playoff experience. 
 Nichuskin will cost less than Bsky so from what l’ve read he’s most likely to be resigned by the Avs.

Edited by jsb

28 minutes ago, jsb said:

FIFY, it's a Crebs, Dhalin thing for me, sorry if it offends but otherwise you are 100% correct.

No worries my spelling has been atrocious all day today! Bit embarrassing when I was typing up ideas from the 5 and 6 year olds i was teaching today! 

Edited by steveoath
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, jsb said:

Hiney gets replaced by Quinn, JJP I believe plays the left side. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he can step in and be an improvement over what we presently have and/or adding someone who is established already such as Burakovsky. 

Just to clarify:

Under contract:

• Tage
  • Mitts
  • Cozens
  • Skinner
  • Tuch
  • VO
  • Asplund
  • Okposo
  • Girgs
  • Krebs
  • Bjork

UFA:

• Eakin
  • Hinostroza
  • Hayden
  • Caggiula

So there are technically NHL 4 spots open next year, 5 if you are like me and think Bjork is vulnerable.

Peterka would rank behind Quinn and ahead of R2 and Murray in the race for those spots. Of course his position will change based on what other moves they make, but right now he is on the team.

Edited by dudacek

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So there are technically NHL 4 spots open next year, 5 if you are like me and think Bjork is vulnerable.

I think (hope?) that Bjork is more then just vulnerable.  What has he done to justify keeping him?  Bjork is just awful and needs to go.  Caggiula also needs to walk the plank.  I'd much rather see R2, Murray or Biro get a shot at the roster.  Trade Bjork and if there is no market, waive him and send him down to Rochester as one of the vets down there.  

To me there are forward 8 spots written in pen for next year.  Tuch, Tnt, KO, Mitts, Cozens, QUINN, Skinner, and Krebs.

Girgensons injury history puts a small question mark on his status.  VO's contract puts a question mark on him as well, although I suspect both will return.

Asplund cheap contract and excellent D metrics also likely brings him back, but I can also see him being put in a deal to upgrade the goaltending or finding a partner for Power.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Just to clarify:

Under contract:

• Tage
  • Mitts
  • Cozens
  • Skinner
  • Tuch
  • VO
  • Asplund
  • Okposo
  • Girgs
  • Krebs
  • Bjork

UFA:

• Eakin
  • Hinostroza
  • Hayden
  • Caggiula

Peterka would rank behind Quinn and ahead of R2 and Murray in the race for those spots. Of course his position will change based on what other moves they make, but right now he is on the team.

I guess with @Thorny MIA, l’ll take up his spot. It appears to me with us becoming a defense star team (Power, Dahlin), and a forward most likely not going to become an 80+ point scorer, it will be imperative for us to have 4 forward lines that can score. We need to add guys who can provide us points on the 3rd and 4th lines, can add some grit and speed to the lineup. Okposo and Girgs won’t be here 2-3 years down the line so there will always be spots open, don’t rush guys until they’re fully ready to take over.

1 minute ago, jsb said:

I guess with @Thorny MIA, l’ll take up his spot. It appears to me with us becoming a defense star team (Power, Dahlin), and a forward most likely not going to become an 80+ point scorer, it will be imperative for us to have 4 forward lines that can score. We need to add guys who can provide us points on the 3rd and 4th lines, can add some grit and speed to the lineup. Okposo and Girgs won’t be here 2-3 years down the line so there will always be spots open, don’t rush guys until they’re fully ready to take over.

I agree fully with both points. Don’t sell JJ short as being that guy right now.

His game style fits. And prospects who put up point-a-game point totals in the AHL are typically deemed ready for the jump.

Or, historical

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree fully with both points. Don’t sell JJ short as being that guy right now.

His game style fits. And prospects who put up point-a-game point totals in the AHL are typically deemed ready for the jump.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Shouldn't Quinn be on this list? Or has he not hit 40 games yet? He has 40+ points though, right?

Based on stats from EliteProspects, Hockey_Robinson is solely counting games played this season. Otherwise Holtz wouldn't be on the list (0.88 ppg in 52 gp last year and this year) while Quinn would be on the list (1.21 ppg in 47 gp last year and this year).

If Quinn skates in 8 more games this season, and continues his pace, he'll become #3 on this list, and also crush Holtz and Reichel's ppg rate.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Shouldn't Quinn be on this list? Or has he not hit 40 games yet? He has 40+ points though, right?

41 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Based on stats from EliteProspects, Hockey_Robinson is solely counting games played this season. Otherwise Holtz wouldn't be on the list (0.88 ppg in 52 gp last year and this year) while Quinn would be on the list (1.21 ppg in 47 gp last year and this year).

If Quinn skates in 8 more games this season, and continues his pace, he'll become #3 on this list, and also crush Holtz and Reichel's ppg rate.

Not sure where the official cutoff for U20 is, but Quinn was 20 a few weeks prior to the start of the AHL season. JJ (and Holtz)is 4 months younger, not turning 20 until January. Quinn may not qualify.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jsb said:

If you add 3 rookies and keep Anderson/UPL as your GKs, prepare for another tank year. They may be good 2-3 years down the line but rookies make errors that you need vets to overcome. We aren't defensibly responsible yet and those GKs aren't good enough to save us (pun intended). Fitz or Bryson we could live with, both of them are a problem IMO. 

This season is absolutely not a tank season.  Next season will not be a tank season.  Using such a broad definition of tanking, that would mean 5-10 NHL teams are tanking every single season.

They are just building for the future and aren’t that good (yet!).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

Burakovsky isn't it

20 goals once and never topped 29 assists on stacked teams. No thanks. 

I don’t know man, over the past three seasons he has a per 82 game average of 26.6 goals and 63.4 points.  That’s pretty darn good.  And he is a notoriously good dude.  I think he would be a great addition.

Another guy to look at in FA is Nino Niederreiter.  Experienced depth scoring and another notoriously good guy.

I want to add a little veteran depth (1 forward, 1 RHD) that can contribute and help the young guys along.

Edited by Curt

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t know man, over the past three seasons he has a per 82 game average of 26.6 goals and 63.4 points.  That’s pretty darn good.  And he is a notoriously good dude.  I think he would be a great addition.

Another guy to look at in FA is Nino Niederreiter.  Experienced depth scoring and another notoriously good guy.

I want to add a little veteran depth (1 forward, 1 RHD) that can contribute and help the young guys along.

We need a two way center who can win a few faceoffs on the PK and PP and also add some secondary scoring.  Lars Eller comes to mind.  Adam Lowry? Henrique?

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We need a two way center who can win a few faceoffs on the PK and PP and also add some secondary scoring.  Lars Eller comes to mind.  Adam Lowry? Henrique?

That’s kind of true.  I’m assuming that any of those guys would want a 2, or probably 3, year deal to come the Buffalo. I think I’d go with Lowry given the choice.  That’s based mostly on age.

4 hours ago, jsb said:

If you add 3 rookies and keep Anderson/UPL as your GKs, prepare for another tank year. They may be good 2-3 years down the line but rookies make errors that you need vets to overcome. We aren't defensibly responsible yet and those GKs aren't good enough to save us (pun intended). Fitz or Bryson we could live with, both of them are a problem IMO. 

I don’t understand. Like the one we did to get Eichel? I swear, the Buffalo fan is so shell shocked that if we’re not loading up on high-priced players for a Cup run, we must be tanking. Do you think we are playing to tank right now or that our current young roster won’t take another step forward next year?

17 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t understand. Like the one we did to get Eichel? I swear, the Buffalo fan is so shell shocked that if we’re not loading up on high-priced players for a Cup run, we must be tanking. Do you think we are playing to tank right now or that our current young roster won’t take another step forward next year?

If we were tanking Adams would have moved at least a single player at the trade deadline in exchange for draft picks.

• Like (+1) 3

Tanking is a loaded word and it's hard to say if management intentionally tanked or not. The goaltender situation screams intentional tank but I think it more likely they just screwed up on Ullmark and were left floundering. 

The rest of it was a tear down and deconstruction but it seems to perhaps have finally solved the cultural issue so one would have to say that ultimately the decision to ditch the big 3 was correct. This team is now on a forward trajectory but how fast that rise is will be hard to say. Depends, quite obviously, on the goaltending and how many of the multiple picks and prospects they hit on. 

Right now, all the young centers need to go to face off school so maybe what the team needs is an assistant coach with that specialty. Otherwise, add a goalie, a right hand D, possibly a checking center Eakin upgrade and a little more toughness. The rest is on the kids and new core that is already here. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Curt said:

This season is absolutely not a tank season.  Next season will not be a tank season.  Using such a broad definition of tanking, that would mean 5-10 NHL teams are tanking every single season.

They are just building for the future and aren’t that good (yet!).

11 hours ago, kas23 said:

Sorry, I forgot how toxic the word tank is around here. Having said that, 2 rookies are assured spots next year, Quinn and Power. Are they going to be Makar and Jason Robertson like and burst out almost immediately or are they going to be more like Cozens and Dahlin and need some time to acclimate to the league, good players but not star like immediately. 

IMO if you add anymore rookies to the mix you're making next year another development year which could backfire if UPL doesn't improve and Anderson's age  finally catches up with him. Adding JJP as a call up and having Bryson/Fitzgerald as your 7-8th defensemen, they're still going to get PT with the big club when injuries as they always do occur. 

This year we should know who is definitely in our core group plus add Power & Quinn. Next year get rid of all the JAGs plus you'll have a boatload of Cap space available not to blow it but if played smartly you can add 3-4 vets to the lineup that'll help you take another step in getting to the playoffs. Someone in the top 8 of the Eastern Conference is going to have to finally regress for us to get in IMO but adding 3 rookies, our present GK roster, we're just not going to improve much point wise and do we really want to go another year when 80 points will seem like light years away. I'm tired of the horrible play we've seen recently, the renewed culture that appears to be brewing and the improved play had me hooked on the hopium and I'd rather see another step in the right direction instead of hoping JAGS and an old man in GK is going to save us. Don't be blinded by the 14 game improvement although thank goodness we're finally healthy, we still have a ways to go. Our depth still is not where it needs to be.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, jsb said:

Sorry, I forgot how toxic the word tank is around here. Having said that, 2 rookies are assured spots next year, Quinn and Power. Are they going to be Makar and Jason Robertson like and burst out almost immediately or are they going to be more like Cozens and Dahlin and need some time to acclimate to the league, good players but not star like immediately. 

IMO if you add anymore rookies to the mix you're making next year another development year which could backfire if UPL doesn't improve and Anderson's age  finally catches up with him. Adding JJP as a call up and having Bryson/Fitzgerald as your 7-8th defensemen, they're still going to get PT with the big club when injuries as they always do occur. 

This year we should know who is definitely in our core group plus add Power & Quinn. Next year get rid of all the JAGs plus you'll have a boatload of Cap space available not to blow it but if played smartly you can add 3-4 vets to the lineup that'll help you take another step in getting to the playoffs. Someone in the top 8 of the Eastern Conference is going to have to finally regress for us to get in IMO but adding 3 rookies, our present GK roster, we're just not going to improve much point wise and do we really want to go another year when 80 points will seem like light years away. I'm tired of the horrible play we've seen recently, the renewed culture that appears to be brewing and the improved play had me hooked on the hopium and I'd rather see another step in the right direction instead of hoping JAGS and an old man in GK is going to save us. Don't be blinded by the 14 game improvement although thank goodness we're finally healthy, we still have a ways to go. Our depth still is not where it needs to be.

You're using the term completely wrong and you don't "unintentionally tank" because it's a deliberate process. 

Rasmus Dahlin was pretty damn good as a rookie. 

We don't need anyone to regress, we need improve. My issue with most of what I read above is that you don't acknowledge any of the young talent such as Krebs, Cozens, Samuelsson, etc... improving next season. We might get around 70ish points this year,if goaltending is fixed, 80+ is reasonable next year. 

Edited by LGR4GM

16 hours ago, jsb said:

We have a forward that projects to an 80+point scorer in the NHL. In fact over the last few weeks, I see a sleeping giant that's going to surprise a lot of ppl.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

We have a forward that projects to an 80+point scorer in the NHL. In fact over the last few weeks, I see a sleeping giant that's going to surprise a lot of ppl.

Yeah but we have to sign Eakin to an extension first.😛

I think Quinn can be an 80 point player. A full year with Tuch and Skinner could get Tage there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.