2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Cozens has been improving his FO% and was 51.4% on face offs in March. He was sub 45% for the rest of the season.

If he has crested that 50% hump for good then they have someone other than Eakin in that group.

Keep practicing, become the go to face off guy so Eakin can leave.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Sabres push hard to sign Kuemper to a 3 year deal for $6-7 million AAV.  

If they can't get him than Holtby would be my next option via UFA and sign to a 2 year deal at $5 million AAV. 

A true number one goaltender for then next couple of years is must for this team to get to the next level.  UPL can be a solid back up and play 25 games. 

Next must is the RD to play with either Dahlin and/or Power.  If the Sabres can get two then do it and slide Joker down to play with Muel.

UFA Options- Manson, Gudbranson, Rutta, or Brown

Next is a solid #4 center who can win face-offs.  Another vet like Eakin but just younger and better. 

UFA options- Paul, Stepan, Acciari, or Rask.

7 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I think the Sabres push hard to sign Kuemper to a 3 year deal for $6-7 million AAV.  

If they can't get him than Holtby would be my next option via UFA and sign to a 2 year deal at $5 million AAV. 

A true number one goaltender for then next couple of years is must for this team to get to the next level.  UPL can be a solid back up and play 25 games. 

Next must is the RD to play with either Dahlin and/or Power.  If the Sabres can get two then do it and slide Joker down to play with Muel.

Next is a solid #4 center who can win face-offs.  Another vet like Eakin but just younger and better. 

In ufa you might get 1 of them, 2 if you're really lucky

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I still believe bringing in any UFA here will be hard, but our play of late has likely helped our image around the league.  Beating Car and Florida for a change will also help.

I agree with your upgrade areas. KA/DG are employing a 4 line roll.  The one that needs a serious upgrade in talent at center is KO’s line.   

I also want a veteran tutor for Power and a real starting goaltender.  If Holtby would come I am interested.  I think there are better D available in the trade market. 

My guess to all of this is getting players through trades, but UFAs would be much easier from an asset standpoint. 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:40 PM, jsb said:

Uh-Oh the jsb line is catching on: Burakovsky........ Upgrade 1 RHD for jagapysyk and another GK for oldmanriver and we're rolling

The more I think about this the more i dislike brining in a high cost winger and blocking JJ’s path to the NHL

im sure the Sabres can afford it and it may help them next season but longer term, getting JJ into the NHL and up to speed will pay dividends 

if you are going to spend big $. Do it on a RHD and / or a goalie.  Though I’d wouldn’t like them to go long on the veteran goalie contract 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:40 PM, jsb said:

Uh-Oh the jsb line is catching on: Burakovsky........ Upgrade 1 RHD for jagapysyk and another GK for oldmanriver and we're rolling

Unless this guy is paying Burakowsky $15 million a year that lineup doesn’t get them to the cap floor.

Going into next year with Anderson-UPL is a major failure. Anderson is shot. Get a real starting goalie. We have no idea of UPL will be any good or not.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Unless this guy is paying Burakowsky $15 million a year that lineup doesn’t get them to the cap floor.

Going into next year with Anderson-UPL is a major failure. Anderson is shot. Get a real starting goalie. We have no idea of UPL will be any good or not.

Correct!  In addition,  Pysyk is the 6th best D on this team now and Z is best utilized on the wing.  Pysyk becomes the 7th D once Power signs.

We need to invest in a good 2 way center someone who can score, kill penalties, can win important draws and play up in case of injury.  Z’s highest and best use is as a energy forward who can add some depth scoring.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

The more I think about this the more i dislike brining in a high cost winger and blocking JJ’s path to the NHL

im sure the Sabres can afford it and it may help them next season but longer term, getting JJ into the NHL and up to speed will pay dividends 

if you are going to spend big $. Do it on a RHD and / or a goalie.  Though I’d wouldn’t like them to go long on the veteran goalie contract 

I would disagree with the bolded, mainly due to two reasons. One, I’m not sure if JJP’s defensive game is quite ready for the NHL. It very well may be, but the second reason is due to the inevitability of injuries. Mitts missed 40 games, Girgs missed 30, Oloffson missed 10-15 (which maybe should have been more), Tuch missed 40 games. If we bring in a 2nd line winger, there will still be opportunities for JJP to make the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I would disagree with the bolded, mainly due to two reasons. One, I’m not sure if JJP’s defensive game is quite ready for the NHL. It very well may be, but the second reason is due to the inevitability of injuries. Mitts missed 40 games, Girgs missed 30, Oloffson missed 10-15 (which maybe should have been more), Tuch missed 40 games. If we bring in a 2nd line winger, there will still be opportunities for JJP to make the lineup.

Where does the narrative that his defensive game needs work come from? 
I mean he’s out their killing penalties, I don’t see Quinn out there doing that. 
JJ is more than just a depth piece IMO. No use having him sit when the team is healthy 

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Where does the narrative that his defensive game needs work come from? 
I mean he’s out their killing penalties, I don’t see Quinn out there doing that. 
JJ is more than just a depth piece IMO. No use having him sit when the team is healthy 

People that haven't seen him play? 

He's so unique to anything the Sabres have had in such a long time. 

People get way too zeroed in on the starting 12.

The Sabres will have used at least 22 forwards this year, 15 of them likely in at least 40 games.

There should be no qualms with counting JJ as the 12th or 13th guy. Look how much action Eakin got in that role this year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People get way too zeroed in on the starting 12.

The Sabres will have used at least 22 forwards this year, 15 of them likely in at least 40 games.

There should be no qualms with counting JJ as the 12th or 13th guy. Look how much action Eakin got in that role this year.

This is why I think of a base line-up 5 forward lines, 4 defencive pairings, and 3 goaltenders.

The off-season gameplan is getting clearer by the day.

Power signed, Levi and Portillo staying in school.  Johnson’s decision still unknown.

After watching the Sabres fight hard, but lose to Carolina and Florida, a couple of things are readily apparent.  
1) We need better goaltending. To me this means not even relying on UPL as part of the solution next year. If you want to bring back Anderson as the backup ok, but we need a real starter.

2) We need at least one upgrade on defense, maybe two.  We certainly need to begin with a partner for Power, but we also might upgrade the trio of Pysyk, Fitz and Bryson.  Matt Dumba should be target no. 1 and signing a vet like Ruuta should be given serious considerstion.

3) Eakin needs to be upgraded as well. DG likes Z and KO in the shutdown role, but also because they can add secondary offense.  Getting them a center who can win draws, play 2 way hockey and add some O should be a major priority as well.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

I was watching the Colorado game and they said that once Grubauer went to Seattle last year they really upped their offer to make sure they landed Kuemper because a couple other teams were really in on him. I wonder if Buffalo was one of those teams at the time and if they will circle back this summer. They have the money to offer him.

Kuemper followed by Husso would be the 2 goalies I go after in UFA if I am Adams. Not sure what goalies will be available in trade.

Offseason: sign Kuemper, sign Copp, trade for Dumba

compete for playoffs

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The off-season gameplan is getting clearer by the day.

Power signed, Levi and Portillo staying in school.  Johnson’s decision still unknown.

After watching the Sabres fight hard, but lose to Carolina and Florida, a couple of things are readily apparent.  
1) We need better goaltending. To me this means not even relying on UPL as part of the solution next year. If you want to bring back Anderson as the backup ok, but we need a real starter.

2) We need at least one upgrade on defense, maybe two.  We certainly need to begin with a partner for Power, but we also might upgrade the trio of Pysyk, Fitz and Bryson.  Matt Dumba should be target no. 1 and signing a vet like Ruuta should be given serious considerstion.

3) Eakin needs to be upgraded as well. DG likes Z and KO in the shutdown role, but also because they can add secondary offense.  Getting them a center who can win draws, play 2 way hockey and add some O should be a major priority as well.

Not a huge fan of Dumba due to his contract situation

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We laughed at wanting to sign Strauss Mann or Dryden McKay, but there may be openings to fill in Rochester and Cincinnati.

Hey, now I'd be all for it. Now there are openings.

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Sign a vet goalie. 5 year term. 

Way too long,

2 years is the max you can give with an absurd money number (ex: 8mil)

4 years is the max you can give with a normal contract number (ex: 5mil)

You have to make it possible that if UPL takes off, that we aren't in a traffic jam of goalies while trying to get Levi and maybe Portillo next year. We have to maintain an appearance of some kind of possibility of them making it.

Additionally, I'd target the best 2 defensive dmen you can find for Rochester. They are practically a cartoonish version of the Leafs where they only win via outscoring their own mistakes

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Not a huge fan of Dumba due to his contract situation

Hey, now I'd be all for it. Now there are openings.

Way too long,

2 years is the max you can give with an absurd money number (ex: 8mil)

4 years is the max you can give with a normal contract number (ex: 5mil)

You have to make it possible that if UPL takes off, that we aren't in a traffic jam of goalies while trying to get Levi and maybe Portillo next year. We have to maintain an appearance of some kind of possibility of them making it.

Additionally, I'd target the best 2 defensive dmen you can find for Rochester. They are practically a cartoonish version of the Leafs where they only win via outscoring their own mistakes

If I’m Adams, I’m gonna stack this team like this players don’t even exist. And he shouldn’t. There’s no guarantee they sign. Until then, they don’t exist. Neither Levi or Portillo are going to play any meaningful role getting into or having success in the playoffs for the next 2-3 years. Nor would I wait around to see. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just noticed how tight Panthers are up against the cap next year.  They are at $78 million cap hit, need at least 4 forwards and 3 defenseman. 

They will have to make moves.  

I can see them moving Hornqvist, he has 8 team no trade list, so no chance he comes to Buffalo.

I can also see them moving Gudas and/or Weager.  They will both be last year of contract, so I can see them being moved for cheaper younger options. 

As a Sabres fan I would take either to pair with Power.

Would you trade Fitz and FLA 1st rd back to them for Weager.

10 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Just noticed how tight Panthers are up against the cap next year.  They are at $78 million cap hit, need at least 4 forwards and 3 defenseman. 

They will have to make moves.  

I can see them moving Hornqvist, he has 8 team no trade list, so no chance he comes to Buffalo.

I can also see them moving Gudas and/or Weager.  They will both be last year of contract, so I can see them being moved for cheaper younger options. 

As a Sabres fan I would take either to pair with Power.

Would you trade Fitz and FLA 1st rd back to them for Weager.

The cap goes up by $1 million so that will buy some teams a little wiggle room.

Florida will do whatever it takes to hold on to Weegar. He is one of the best defensive dmen in the league and they know it. Ekblad and Weegar are their anchors back there.

Gudas will probably be available. He plays a warrior type game. He would be a good addition.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:10 AM, jsb said:

2 rookies are assured spots next year, Quinn and Power. Are they going to be Makar and Jason Robertson like and burst out almost immediately or are they going to be more like Cozens and Dahlin and need some time to acclimate to the league, good players but not star like immediately. 

I think Quinn will be an immediate contributor, especially if he's deployed properly (scoring punch in the bottom six to put him against lesser competition).  I think Tage/Skinner remain part of our top line, maybe Tuch stays with them, maybe not.  They need the second line to be a scoring threat as well; we'll see how that pans out.  Mitts/Olofsson/Asplund?  Something like that, if successful, will help shield Quinn and increase his chance at success.

I expect Power to be somewhat shielded too, maybe Dahlin on the first pair, Muel eating minutes on the second pair, and Power being somewhat protected so he can be set up for success.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.