2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why?  We need a veteran center who can win draws, score, and play a 2 way game.  I do agree that if Vinnie wants a 5 year deal that it’s a no go, but there is no issue with the kids if he’s here on a 3 year deal.  The plan is to roll 4 “equalish” lines.  Cozens, Mitts and TnT are 3/4 of the needed centers.  We have the cap space and the need so why not?

Well at the right price you can argue for almost anyone, but his price will be high. I'd rather let Philly over pay him and laugh at them getting worse and worse. 

After so many years I think we finally have the beginning of a solid team first culture that we haven't had since the glory days and I want to keep building around that young core and their bonds. My adds would all be good value complimentary pieces and role players, not central pieces or "stars". 

I truly believe Cozens will break out next season like Tage did this year (not necessarily in big scoring numbers but in terms of general play) and we will already have the centers we need on the roster. Copp would take us up a notch faster, but even he isn't essential to the plan and I wouldn't overpay him too much either. 

I am not against signing Manson.

I think its weird to be OK with giving Manson $5 over for and not being OK to buck up a similar amount to VO (No idea what @sweetlou thinks we should be paying Victor, I just remember people being adamantly opposed to giving him $5 million.)

I'm OK with overpaying for a 2RD, just so long as we don't give him term. I thinking anyone giving Manson more than 3 years ends up regretting it.

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I am not against signing Manson.

I'm OK with overpaying for a 2RD, just so long as we don't give him term. I thinking anyone giving Manson more than 3 years ends up regretting it.

Just wondering, what’s wrong with our present top 4

samuelsson-dahlin

power-joker???

Why move away from any of them??

35 minutes ago, jsb said:

samuelsson-dahlin

power-joker???

Do you mean why push one of that group out of the top 4?

I wouldn't really get hung up on the pairing or the "top 4" label. I want at least one third-pairing guy who can play harder minutes.

I want to add an experienced, defensively strong, right-handed shot who can kill penalties and add some physical strength and reliability to the overall unit. Those are factors our overall defence corps needs.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, jsb said:

samuelsson-dahlin

power-joker???

Jokiharju, IMHO, is a very good 3rd pairing guy but really doesn't belong in the top 4.  He still tends to get drawn out of position in his own end too often & loses more battles than a top 4 guy should.

Bringing in someone a bit strong in his own end & ideally more experienced to partner w/ Power could really let this group reach another level.  Again, IMHO.

Let Jokiharju play w/ Bryson & ideally Johnson in 2 years and let the others take the tougher minutes.  They'll excel.

• Like (+1) 2

“According to Michael Russo, the Minnesota Wild will likely be forced to trade either Kevin Fiala or Matt Dumba this offseason. This is because the buyout penalties for Ryan Suter and Zach Parise jump up to just under $13 million for next season. Fiala is a pending restricted free agent who will be demanding a raise from his current $5.1 million cap hit. He has earned the right to do, as he is having a career-best campaign. In 75 games, he has set new career-highs in goals (29), assists (44), and points (73). Needless to say, the Wild would love to keep him around. Yet, given their very limited cap space, they will have a lot of trouble doing so. “

What would you give Minny for Fiala and Dumba this offseason? Dumba has one year left at $6 million, Fiala will want to be paid but has earned it. Minny really can’t take back a lot of salary.

Would they be interested in VO who will cost money but less then Fiala and will be productive and Asplund who is cheap but effective defensively?

Or a package around:

Vegas 1st+ Bryson+ Ryan Johnson

I don’t know if there is a fit but Fiala is a talented winger that would fit the age range and Dumba would solidify the back end with a chance to extend if there is a fit.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

“According to Michael Russo, the Minnesota Wild will likely be forced to trade either Kevin Fiala or Matt Dumba this offseason. This is because the buyout penalties for Ryan Suter and Zach Parise jump up to just under $13 million for next season. Fiala is a pending restricted free agent who will be demanding a raise from his current $5.1 million cap hit. He has earned the right to do, as he is having a career-best campaign. In 75 games, he has set new career-highs in goals (29), assists (44), and points (73). Needless to say, the Wild would love to keep him around. Yet, given their very limited cap space, they will have a lot of trouble doing so. “

What would you give Minny for Fiala and Dumba this offseason? Dumba has one year left at $6 million, Fiala will want to be paid but has earned it. Minny really can’t take back a lot of salary.

Would they be interested in VO who will cost money but less then Fiala and will be productive and Asplund who is cheap but effective defensively?

Or a package around:

I don’t know if there is a fit but Fiala is a talented winger that would fit the age range and Dumba would solidify the back end with a chance to extend if there is a fit.

Krebs

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Krebs

We aren’t trading Krebs, stop being so focused on that.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Or a package around:

To be perfectly I’m unsure if I’d want either of them for what they’ll be asking for in a trade plus their ensuing contract.

I have no interest in Dumba due to his next contract becoming untenable with Dahlin’s in 2 years and Power’s in 2 to 5 years. I want to avoid the situation SJ is in with 3 Dmen making about 25mil. Plus if we give Dumba 6/7 years at 7.5mil, Dahlin will be asking for 9+ mil 

Fiala for Olofsson doesn’t work well for either side. Olofsson will make 4 to 5 mil per year and Fiala is likely looking for 7mil at least. I don’t know if we can really afford another expensive winger.

32 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

To be perfectly I’m unsure if I’d want either of them for what they’ll be asking for in a trade plus their ensuing contract.

I have no interest in Dumba due to his next contract becoming untenable with Dahlin’s in 2 years and Power’s in 2 to 5 years. I want to avoid the situation SJ is in with 3 Dmen making about 25mil. Plus if we give Dumba 6/7 years at 7.5mil, Dahlin will be asking for 9+ mil 

Fiala for Olofsson doesn’t work well for either side. Olofsson will make 4 to 5 mil per year and Fiala is likely looking for 7mil at least. I don’t know if we can really afford another expensive winger.

Yeah I’m not pounding the table for either of them but they are talented and we have space and assets. Thought it would be interesting to see people’s opinions.

34 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

To the bold - why would Dumba ask or rather any team give Dumba that kind of deal?  He isn’t that good.  Better than what we have at RD but every time you read “cap dump” in Minnesota this guys name is attached to the conversation.  If he wants term, it would be in the same range/ AAV he is at today. Like Risto.  

To the italics - if the trajectory continues, and the cap grows in 2024 will this not be $13M?  

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Krebs

The Sabres had a special with him "putting down roots."  Even if he completely busts like Keith Gretzky, you need to get off this hobby horse for your own sanity.  He is not going anywhere.

I am not on board with quick fixes on offence.  What I want is more depth so that guys like Bjork don't need to see the ice unless we are down 6 forwards.

Does anyone else view our first 6 on defence after this off-season as

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-XXX

YYY-Jokiharu

With Bryson, Pysyk, et al. as 7-8 defencemen?  That's quite a bit pricier than two bottom-pairing guys.

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

To the bold - why would Dumba ask or rather any team give Dumba that kind of deal?  He isn’t that good.  Better than what we have at RD but every time you read “cap dump” in Minnesota this guys name is attached to the conversation.  If he wants term, it would be in the same range/ AAV he is at today. Like Risto.  

To the italics - if the trajectory continues, and the cap grows in 2024 will this not be $13M?  

Cap is supposed to go up only 1 mil again for 23-24 thus bringing it to 83.5mil

20 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Only guy here not surprised by Tage’s ascension doesn’t know how this all works. Got it. 

Good that you got it. Now we don’t have to see you ruin every thread with “trade Krebs” nonsense.

If trading a rookie who is trying to constantly make plays but is still adjusting to the speed of the NHL resulting in turnovers is grounds to move him then no team would ever have young talent.

The kid was WHL player of the year and has played for Canada numerous times. The fact he isn’t dominating in his rookie season is no reason to move him. Kid is a heart and soul player with skill. You try to aquire and keep those players, not give them away.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Good that you got it. Now we don’t have to see you ruin every thread with “trade Krebs” nonsense.

If trading a rookie who is trying to constantly make plays but is still adjusting to the speed size of the NHL resulting in turnovers is grounds to move him then no team would ever have young talent.

The kid was WHL player of the year and has played for Canada numerous times. The fact he isn’t dominating in his rookie season is no reason to move him. Kid is a heart and soul player with skill. You try to aquire and keep those players, not give them away.

FTFY.

Like Adams says: the kid is hockey strong but nowhere close to man strong yet.

He'll never be a beast, but an off-season or 2 in the weight room will do a world of good for him.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-XXX

YYY-Jokiharu

With Bryson, Pysyk, et al. as 7-8 defencemen?  That's quite a bit pricier than two bottom-pairing guys.

I think DM likes Joki quite a bit and that Joki is therefore a lock for the top 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-XXX

YYY-Jokiharu

I think they will bring in one RHD who can play with Power or on the 3rd pair, as well as on the PK.

I think that Bryson can play on the 2nd or 3rd pair as LD or RD.  His versatility is a big asset.  I think a 6/7/8 group of Bryson/Fitzgerald/Pysyk(or someone similar) is alright.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Or a package around:

I don't want Fiala for the price he would cost.  He is very similar player to Skinner, so we don't need him.  We need another power forward type player like Tuch. 

Dumba most likely is the player the Wild sign.  

I see Wild trading Fiala's rights for a player and pick.  

I proposed in another thread trading the Wild Mitts and Florida 1st for Fiala.  Sabres then flip Fiala to Ducks for Comtois and Boston 1st rd.  Ducks have cap space as well and with Getzlaf retiring they will need a vet that adds some scoring.

Sabres get their other power forward in Comtois.  Can play either 2nd or 3rd line LW.  Move Krebs to 2nd line center.

45 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I don't want Fiala for the price he would cost.  He is very similar player to Skinner, so we don't need him.  We need another power forward type player like Tuch. 

Dumba most likely is the player the Wild sign.  

I see Wild trading Fiala's rights for a player and pick.  

I proposed in another thread trading the Wild Mitts and Florida 1st for Fiala.  Sabres then flip Fiala to Ducks for Comtois and Boston 1st rd.  Ducks have cap space as well and with Getzlaf retiring they will need a vet that adds some scoring.

Sabres get their other power forward in Comtois.  Can play either 2nd or 3rd line LW.  Move Krebs to 2nd line center.

Not a fan of that proposal. Both Fiala and Mitts are much better players then Comtois. Comtois has 3 goals and 12 points on the season. He seems more like a 3rd liner at best or 4th liner.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.