Jack vs Tuch/Krebs - Has this hockey trade improved either team?

GASabresIUFAN

47 minutes ago, French Collection said:

If Edmonton gets their s*** together they could bump them down while Nashville and Dallas are close with games in hand for the Wild card spots.

Then the dream scenario...

Vegas wins the lottery this year, pick slides to 2023 and then Vegas misses the playoffs again and wins the lottery again. Bam.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Then the dream scenario...

Vegas wins the lottery this year, pick slides to 2023 and then Vegas misses the playoffs again and wins the lottery again. Bam.

I’m not dreaming that big, but would like a good pick from the trade. Vegas has been going deep every year so it would be great for them to miss when the Sabres have their 1st. Fans would feel KA got good value for Jack.

• Like (+1) 2

One thing about the trade: Vegas already has $83M committed (with 8 [9 this summer when Eichel's kicks in] modified no trade or no movement contracts) to next season. And that's only 19 skaters+goalies. They need to remove salary just to get another contract and ice a full lineup, let alone get under the cap. The only way this trade succeeds short-term for them is if they make the playoffs and can ice their preferred lineup. But the trade can flop and be a franchise-crusher long-term, too, if they're hamstrung with a bunch of guys with nagging but not LTIR-worthy injuries or if they lose a step.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not that I'm aware of. 

I thought it was 4 spots but no:

“Two more rule changes that will be in place for the 2022 draft lottery are: 1) A team cannot jump more than 10 spots in the lottery. So the top bottom 11 teams have a shot at first and the bottom 12 have shot at second. 2) Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a 5 year span.Jun 2, 2021”

• Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I thought it was 4 spots but no:

“Two more rule changes that will be in place for the 2022 draft lottery are: 1) A team cannot jump more than 10 spots in the lottery. So the top bottom 11 teams have a shot at first and the bottom 12 have shot at second. 2) Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a 5 year span.Jun 2, 2021”

And by “win the lottery” they mean “move up”.

Im pretty sure if the last-place team ends of picking 1st it’s not considered a “win” for the purposes of the 5-year rule.

• Thanks (+1) 1

For those who are wondering about how shaky Las Vegas's hold on a playoff spot is, here are the Western Conference standings with all teams either in the playoffs or within range of the playoffs.  "Within range of the playoffs" is defined to be "the largest point deficit ever made up with 20 games left since ties were outlawed" (Buffalo Sabres 2010-1 -- 6 points).

Colorado (C1): 59 -- 41-13-5 -- 87

Calgary (P1): 57 -- 35-15-7 -- 77

St. Louis (C2): 57 -- 33-17-7 -- 73

Los Angeles (P2): 59 -- 32-19-8 -- 72

Minnesota (C3): 56 -- 34-19-3 -- 71

Nashville (C4, WC1): 57 -- 33-20-4 -- 70

Las Vegas (P3): 59 -- 32-23-4 -- 68

Dallas (C5, WC2): 56 -- 32-21-3 -- 67

Edmonton (P4): 58 -- 31-23-4 -- 66

Vancouver (P5): 58 -- 29-23-6 -- 64

Anaheim (P6): 60 -- 27-24-9 -- 63

Winnipeg (C6): 58 -- 26-22-10 -- 62

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they will, but Vegas could miss the playoffs. 

Now with a three game losing streak.... Hmmmm....

Out of the teams that can catch them, I hope our expansion cousin Vancouver does it, and VGK falls below Dallas (who has three games in hand).

7 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For those who are wondering about how shaky Las Vegas's hold on a playoff spot is, here are the Western Conference standings with all teams either in the playoffs or within range of the playoffs.  "Within range of the playoffs" is defined to be "the largest point deficit ever made up with 20 games left since ties were outlawed" (Buffalo Sabres 2010-1 -- 6 points).

Colorado (C1): 59 -- 41-13-5 -- 87

Calgary (P1): 57 -- 35-15-7 -- 77

St. Louis (C2): 57 -- 33-17-7 -- 73

Los Angeles (P2): 59 -- 32-19-8 -- 72

Minnesota (C3): 56 -- 34-19-3 -- 71

Nashville (C4, WC1): 57 -- 33-20-4 -- 70

Las Vegas (P3): 59 -- 32-23-4 -- 68

Dallas (C5, WC2): 56 -- 32-21-3 -- 67

Edmonton (P4): 58 -- 31-23-4 -- 66

Vancouver (P5): 58 -- 29-23-6 -- 64

Anaheim (P6): 60 -- 27-24-9 -- 63

Winnipeg (C6): 58 -- 26-22-10 -- 62

If I'm Adams, I might play some 4d chess and trade with Edmonton or Dallas.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If I'm Adams, I might play some 4d chess and trade with Edmonton or Dallas.

I was thinking the same thing, except Edmonton or the Canucks. Dallas is 1 point back with 3 games to catch up on, but it won’t matter if another team in Vegas’s division doesn’t pass them. I have a little more faith in Dallas than I do Edmonton.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:30 AM, French Collection said:

Fans would feel KA got good value for Jack.

Seriously… already feel KA got good value for the loser… Two winners and a couple picks… 

3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

I was thinking the same thing, except Edmonton or the Canucks. Dallas is 1 point back with 3 games to catch up on, but it won’t matter if another team in Vegas’s division doesn’t pass them. I have a little more faith in Dallas than I do Edmonton.

I've seen a few pundits lay out some trade ideas with Vancouver and Buffalo....

IMHO, Jack was not cut out to be a captain, but with proper team construction around him probably would've been a decent enough teammate not to be an actively destructive force.  Combined with his great physical gifts and high motor, he could've been an all-time great Sabre.  Sliding doors.

Great job, GMTM!

(Of course, there are a small number of people who are just highly toxic and bring everybody down no matter what -- it's possible that he's one of those.  Let's see what happens in Vegas.)

• Like (+1) 4

On 3/12/2022 at 12:38 PM, nfreeman said:

IMHO, Jack was not cut out to be a captain, but with proper team construction around him probably would've been a decent enough teammate not to be an actively destructive force.  Combined with his great physical gifts and high motor, he could've been an all-time great Sabre.  Sliding doors.

Great job, GMTM!

(Of course, there are a small number of people who are just highly toxic and bring everybody down no matter what -- it's possible that he's one of those.  Let's see what happens in Vegas.)

Yet, everything that’s coming out now, says Jack was a selectively good teammate to some and a crappy one to others. Seven years later and he still has a poor grasp of the reality around him.

...and people said thread was premature.  

I'd kind of like to thank LV's GM for ripping the heart out of the Knights and giving it to us.  The cohesion of this clubs is completely different with Tuch in the lineup.

Honestly, LV looks old and tired.  Jack was supposed to give them a lift, but instead he is doing what he did here, get his points (9 in 13 games, but isn't making the team better.  They have only 4 wins in Jack's 13 games (4-8-1).  That's a 57 point pace for those counting at home.  That's not the playoff pace they need.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.