Jack vs Tuch/Krebs - Has this hockey trade improved either team?

GASabresIUFAN

On 3/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, Brawndo said:

Yikes. Fire that guy. 

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

...and people said thread was premature.  

I'd kind of like to thank LV's GM for ripping the heart out of the Knights and giving it to us.  The cohesion of this clubs is completely different with Tuch in the lineup.

Honestly, LV looks old and tired.  Jack was supposed to give them a lift, but instead he is doing what he did here, get his points (9 in 13 games, but isn't making the team better.  They have only 4 wins in Jack's 13 games (4-8-1).  That's a 57 point pace for those counting at home.  That's not the playoff pace they need.  

Eichel does not consistently push the pace. He's very lackadaisical at times and it wasn't so apparent to me until I saw him this past game a realized how most of the game he plays slow.

• Like (+1) 1

I do honestly think Tuch's departure + Stone's IR stint is gravely hurting Vegas. Stone is a better defensive player overall but both play the game similarly and with near reckless abandon and a infectious energy to them. I still remember Stone with Ottawa being like how Tuch is now.

You can always figure out the vital pieces to a team's success in their playoff performances. They aren't always a team's top players but they have a tendency to step up when times get tough and almost always produce under the pressure cooker that is playoff hockey. Tuch showed in all 4 years he played with Vegas that in the playoffs he finds a different level. He's shown more of that type of play with Buffalo this year; likely due to the lack of top-tier depth Buffalo has in comparison. In the end I certainly feel as if VGK got the better statistical player; but we got the better team player. And Krebs too 🙂

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yikes. Fire that guy. 

Eichel does not consistently push the pace. He's very lackadaisical at times and it wasn't so apparent to me until I saw him this past game a realized how most of the game he plays slow.

Good point. I’ve noticed the same thing about Eichel since he first got here. When I watch the dominant Cs in this league like McD and MacKinnon for example, they seem to do everything fast; just attacking the game in every facet with speed in both their feet and hands. It’s really noticeable to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

What is the benefit of JB leaking this information?  Or was it a minion in the scouting dept. holding a grudge against Terry?

Don’t think the info hurts the current Sabres regime in any way.

Not sure that it hurts Botterill or his regime either. The Sabres apparently had Krebs ranked highly enough that he was in consideration for at least one of their first rounders. Botterill ruled that his injury was too risky to wager a 1st-rounder on, regardless of if he was the highest-ranked player available there or not.

Doubt there is a benefit or grudge behind the leak, it’s just an interesting tidbit that someone passed along to Marek.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yikes. Fire that guy. 

I'm not sure he plays slow so much as he plays on his own.  He carries the puck and his linemates are supposed to read solely off of him instead of working as a unit.  If Jack shoots he shoots, but his linemates are meant only to receive his passes or clean up rebounds.  I think it's why Reinhart, known as a playmaker in juniors, became more of a goal scorer in the NHL.  This year in Florida, while still scoring, he's doing much more playmaking and this has elevated him from a 25g 55 to 60 pt player to a pt a game player.

Losing Jack has freed Sabres players as well.  Skinner, is back to creating on his own, but is also working with his linemates and has 3 multi assist games.  In his 40 goal campaign he had only one multi assist game in 82 played with 23 assists total.  Skinner already has 18 this year.  Even VO in his first 26 games had 5 goals to 15 assists.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yikes. Fire that guy. 

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm not sure he plays slow so much as he plays on his own.  He carries the puck and his linemates are supposed to read solely off of him instead of working as a unit.  If Jack shoots he shoots, but his linemates are meant only to receive his passes or clean up rebounds.  I think it's why Reinhart, known as a playmaker in Juniors, became for a goal scorer in the NHL.  This year in Florida, while still scoring, he's doing much more playmaking and this has elevated him from a 25g 55 to 60 pt player to a pt a game player.

Losing Jack has freed Sabres players as well.  Skinner, is back to creating on his own, but is also working with his linemates and hjas 3 multi assist games.  In his 40 goal campaign he had only one multi assist game in 82 played with 23 assists total.  Skinner already has 18 this year.  Even VO in his first 26 games had 5 goals to 15 assists.  

I agree with the first statement....Eichel does not consistently push the pace.  I've taken in some VGK games lately and Jack still "floats" considerably in his game.  Once in a while, he will drive the action with the puck, but more often than not he is simply gliding around with his stick in the air.  Yes he is still a strong puck handler and passer, but imagine if he played every shift with intensity and a high motor?  He simply doesn't do that, despite his gifts.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Yes.  The Sabres are vastly improved.

John is the better player, but he never played with heart.  Tuch and Krebs do.

I'm not so sure about this.

Beating Vegas and TO was nice, but just not convinced yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm not so sure about this.

Beating Vegas and TO was nice, but just not convinced yet.

That's fair.

Surely, you can see improvement and signs of life.  

I really think that when both Tuch and Krebs started playing things really started to turn around.  Others are really starting to come around too.  To me the improvement has been vast, but I know that the Sabres will not be able to sustain that every game.  They are not the Avs or the Panthers or Flames, but I feel that if they play their best all round game they can beat anyone in the league.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well we did get Cozens with that pick. 

Mmm-kay.

Recency bias.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

That's fair.

Surely, you can see improvement and signs of life.  

I really think that when both Tuch and Krebs started playing things really started to turn around.  Others are really starting to come around too.  To me the improvement has been vast, but I know that the Sabres will not be able to sustain that every game.  They are not the Avs or the Panthers or Flames, but I feel that if they play their best all round game they can beat anyone in the league.

Sure. Everything's great. We're waaaaay better and on our way to the playoffs next year.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Recency bias.

Sure. Everything's great. We're waaaaay better and on our way to the playoffs next year.

Okay.  I know you have had terrible trama recently and I think it's affecting your posting style.

Everything is not great.  I don't think I said that.  The Sabres are improving and that is all I really wanted this year.  I don't think that the playoffs are realistic next year, but I think the Sabres will be playing very meaningful games next March.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Okay.  I know you have had terrible trama recently and I think it's affecting your posting style.

Everything is not great.  I don't think I said that.  The Sabres are improving and that is all I really wanted this year.  I don't think that the playoffs are realistic next year, but I think the Sabres will be playing very meaningful games next March.

I so want this to be true.

As Randall pointed out in the March thread, though, I'll be tempering my enthusiasm until I see how the rest of this month plays out. To say nothing on how it'll translate to next season.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I just meant it's always easier to "predict" what was than what will happen. Same with any preseason prediction article you read. It always looks like last year's standings.

Actually, one way we are "vastly improved" is that I really like having Tuch and Krebs on the team instead of Jack.

There is something to be said about actually liking your team.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm with SwampD. Until we're fighting for a playoff spot pace a 6 game stretch doesn't qualify us as vastly improved.

I'm going to side with you 2 on this because I've been fooled by this team before, but it is amazing when some guys get healthy and start playing (Hineythestrozaman, Mitts, Tuch, Olofsson) and the young guys starting to come of age (Krebs, Samuelsson) how much better they play. Still making mistakes and puck luck had a hand in yesterday's game also but there's no denying during and after this game who looked like a team and who looked like a team of individuals. 

The team culture has vastly improved, no denying that.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jsb said:

I'm going to side with you 2 on this because I've been fooled by this team before, but it is amazing when some guys get healthy and start playing (Hineythestrozaman, Mitts, Tuch, Olofsson) and the young guys starting to come of age (Krebs, Samuelsson) how much better they play. Still making mistakes and puck luck had a hand in yesterday's game also but there's no denying during and after this game who looked like a team and who looked like a team of individuals. 

The team culture has vastly improved, no denying that.

It's Hiney-Stroka ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So you'd swap Krebs for Cozens? Both are great but you could only have one that draft. Now we have both.

Wouldn’t swap, and definitely happy with both.  I was just curious if this sent out there to place a wedge between the players or Krebs and management.  From the interview I heard of Krebs on The Instigators, dude seems really content with the Org. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.