Jack vs Tuch/Krebs - Has this hockey trade improved either team?

GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I read a good article about ice surface a few years ago that basically went against all conventional wisdom of the larger ice surface being better for speed/faster players.  It claimed just the opposite in most cases.   The large ice surface allows the Defense more time to setup.  They have that extra half second to see the play develop.  More importantly it is about the distance the puck travels.  On a small ice surface there are more 'bang-bang' plays, a pass from the board to the slot is shorter and gives the D less time to react.  And quite simply on a smaller ice surface the puck is usually closer to the net and that is where more goals are scored.

The large ice surface benefits most a team with a fast/mobile D-unit...and that benefit is it allows them to react to and choke off the opposing rushes a bit easier.

The small ice surface benefits forwards with good hands and good acceleration (that good first step).

I have been proclaiming that for years. Adding junk ice to highly skilled players, doesn’t benefit those skilled players.

I don’t know if it’s applicable, but we have that situation in our beer league. We have one surface that’s 20 feet wider than the other two sheets. People always complained when we played on the big sheet against much better teams/ringers and it always worked out that our crappy ass team played better on the bigger surface. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I read a good article about ice surface a few years ago that basically went against all conventional wisdom of the larger ice surface being better for speed/faster players.  It claimed just the opposite in most cases.   The large ice surface allows the Defense more time to setup.  They have that extra half second to see the play develop.  More importantly it is about the distance the puck travels.  On a small ice surface there are more 'bang-bang' plays, a pass from the board to the slot is shorter and gives the D less time to react.  And quite simply on a smaller ice surface the puck is usually closer to the net and that is where more goals are scored.

The large ice surface benefits most a team with a fast/mobile D-unit...and that benefit is it allows them to react to and choke off the opposing rushes a bit easier.

The small ice surface benefits forwards with good hands and good acceleration (that good first step).

Not saying the analysis is right or wrong, but a lot of the points made seem like they'd be more applicable if the ice sheet was longer. The European ice is the same length, but an extra 15ft wider.

My beef with euro ice is that plays get lost in the corners. The distance from the corners and the half walls to the net is just too far for any good plays to be made from there. The D are content to give the F's the perimeter, because they know not much can happen out there.

Whenever my kid's U15 team ends up at an away game on the euro ice, I roll my eyes, because it's going to be a crap game to watch. I get why towns put them in though since you can run short track speed skating on those rinks where the NHL size pads are too small.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone's comments about the wider ice favouring the defence and leading to more passive play and more play on the perimetre are correct.  There was a nice analysis of this and how coaches use it in _The Death of Hockey_ by native Buffalonians Jeff Z. Klein and Karl-Eric Reif.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
Grammar

On 3/17/2022 at 7:27 AM, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Hate is a strong, yet wasted emotion.

Move to indifference and yea shall be set free ... 😉

Hate is a strong word when it comes to human relationships, people of all race and creed. Objects no. I hate ketchup and the VGK. I'm ok with that! No energy or emotional drain at my end, comes pretty easy I must say

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.