GDT: Sabres @ Leafs 7:30pm, 3/2/2022, on 📺 and 📻

LGR4GM

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

I was aware that he can skate. But I thought in this game and paired with Dahlin that his speed was a factor. 

Against a team like Toronto, yes. Against bigger more physical teams this is not a great combo.  

We should be looking at what makes Dahlin thrive and play big minutes.  To me a more physical, steady defensive defenseman is a better match to enable Dahlin to create.  Not Bryson. 

When I see a strong Buffalo defensive group I see Bryson and Fitz battling for 7 and 8. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I have said it before and I will say it again ... the Sabres will never relocate.

I also don't think they'll ever move either but if they did Hamilton would be the best scenario, it's no further away than what Rochester is. 

What was the most impressive part of yesterday's win was the speed and defense of 3 of the 4 forward lines. The forechecking and back checking of this group was a sight to see. It's games like this that keep the hope alive for this team. It was probably the best all around game for Samuelsson and Fitzgerald. With Joker coming back maybe we just need 1 more vet RD if the S&F duo can continue to grow. Dahlin isn't perfect yet but man if he isn't the best Dman we've had in quite awhile, I've been very impressed.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Against a team like Toronto, yes. Against bigger more physical teams this is not a great combo.  

We should be looking at what makes Dahlin thrive and play big minutes.  To me a more physical, steady defensive defenseman is a better match to enable Dahlin to create.  Not Bryson. 

When I see a strong Buffalo defensive group Bryson and Fitz will battle for 7 and 8. 

Not sure about Fitz... he seems to have bit more size and grind than Bryson and could be partnered with Samuelson for a while... they seem to mesh well together

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I hope you didn’t take offense.  I agree with most of your post, but I can’t help but point out things that a just clearly incorrect.

Power’s NCAA season will be over by April 9th at the very latest.  That’s the date of the championship game.

No not at all, I'm sure it comes off that way on here. I value everyone's opinions even if it differs from mine. Point away, I'm more of a football stats nerd than Hockey, I love Hockey but when it comes to prospects it's tough to follow since i have no clue where to watch them other than just highlight videos on youtube or going to a Rochester Americans game. 

That would be awesome if Power won the Championship with Michigan then joins the Sabres and helps them win, man that would be some season! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Toronto’s D looked really bad last night. I rarely watch them. Are they always this bad?

TO's previous 5 games before last night they gave up 20 goals and scored 22.  If they can't average above 4 goals a game they can't win. It's not just their defense and goalies, they suck as a team on defense.

It appears they are constantly bad.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The play Muel made on Matthews midway through the second to get his stick on and deflect a shot in the slot was much much harder than he made it look and another reason why I am so high on his future. 

Meatballs is throwing Fitz and Muel right into the fire and they are definitely providing a physical edge to defending the opponents top lines. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Meatballs is throwing Fitz and Muel right into the fire and they are definitely providing a physical edge to defending the opponents top lines. 

Apparently they were a pair in Rochester, so Donny's keeping them together at the NHL level as much as possible and their growing together.  I think they're both "physical defensemen" but Muel is more of an immovable physical force and Fitz is more of a pest.  Plus Fitzgerald is more offensively minded and doesn't hesitate to jump into the rush.

9 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Skinner was on a mission in this one

Indeed.  He's like a man reborn on the Land of Giants line.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, woods-racer said:

TO's previous 5 games before last night they gave up 20 goals and scored 22.  If they can't average above 4 goals a game they can't win. It's not just their defense and goalies, they suck as a team on defense.

It appears they are constantly bad.

Which is why they fail in the playoffs.  Goaltending and team defense are the name of that game.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Which is why they fail in the playoffs.  Goaltending and team defense are the name of that game.  

And it’s absolutely delicious that they forget this year after year after year. They consistently think that offensive fire power will carry them through everything. And Toronto fans eat that approach up every year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Toronto has had goaltending since Dec. 1 that is barely better than ours.

Their defense is made up of Reilly-Brodie and a bunch of dudes who without Muzzin are too similar. 

The Leafs rely almost entirely on their offensive firepower and like Edmonton fall into the same trap every playoffs. Shut down their big scorers and their team looks vulnerable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.