GDT: Sabres @ Leafs 7:30pm, 3/2/2022, on πŸ“Ί and πŸ“»

LGR4GM

Just a few quick impressions on this game.

A word that describes how the the Sabres played in this game is dogged. Their stickwork was excellent. And this is the best I have seen them blocking shots.Β 

Olofsson is starting to play with more confidence. If he can get his game back it is like adding another good player to the roster.Β 

I liked the play of Cozens. He has a bulldog style of game with little flash to it. Finesse is one word that doesn't apply to his game.Β 

I thought all the defensive pairings played well. Bryson played better than I expected. He can motor.Β 

Under Granato Skinner has been resuscitated. He can skate, shows grit, shoot, pass and more than anyone else exhibit passion. We have a genuine first line.Β 

I'm going to be patient with Mitts because he has been out so much. If he can get back to the form that he had when Granato took over last year it would be big boost for this team.Β 

The most consistent player on this team is Okposo. He is admirable.

Anderson is not a workhorse goalie. When he is not overused, he plays well.Β 

In the first two periods you can see the offensive potency of the Leafs. The brand of play is not going to work in the playoffs where it is a tighter and tougher game.Β 

I enjoyed this game. In the grand scheme of things does it mean much. Not really. But after watching a game like this you do get a glimmer of hope.Β Β 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So at the start of the 3rd I put $5 on my betting app for the Leafs to come back and win. I figured I would put 2 irresistible forces against each other: the Sabres ability to hold a 2-goal lead, against my ability to win a bet.

Thank You For Your Service GIF by Hyper RPG

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Bryson played better than I expected. He can motor.Β 

If you didn't previously know Bryson can motor, you haven't been paying attention.Β  He's always been very, very fast.Β  That might be what's kept him in the league.

There might not be room for him in the Top Six going forward, but he would make an excellent #7.

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We have a genuine first line.

YES.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

If you didn't previously know Bryson can motor, you haven't been paying attention.Β  He's always been very, very fast.Β  That might be what's kept him in the league.

There might not be room for him in the Top Six going forward, but he would make an excellent #7.

YES.

I was aware that he can skate. But I thought in this game and paired with Dahlin that his speed was a factor.Β 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was aware that he can skate. But I thought in this game and paired with Dahlin that his speed was a factor.Β 

There was talk about the pairing before the game started.Β  Marty said both players like to jump up into the rush and it would be a challenge to make sure they covered for each other.Β  I think they did exactly that... seamlessly.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Lots of man ass and penii to be seen thereΒ 

Cool your twig & berries, dude.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Lots of man ass and penii to be seen thereΒ 

Keep your eyes on the big grins… you perve…

• Haha (+1) 2

There was talk about the pairing before the game started.Β  Marty said both players like to jump up into the rush and it would be a challenge to make sure they covered for each other.Β  I think they did exactly that... seamlessly.

Cool your twig & berries, dude.

Girlfriend in College did that. Β The trick is keeping fresh ice nearby.Β 

• Haha (+1) 2

Β 

As you noted each of them read each other well and on the fly adjusted to each other. I can't remember an occasion where they didn't cover for one another. That's pretty good cohesion for not playing together very much.Β 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Curt said:

Skinner never scored 50, only 40.

I like Bryson and he did have a good game, but I wonder about how he fits on the team going forward.

Dahlin has been great. Β He started coming on even before the break.

Power will be in Buffalo as soon as Michigan’s season is over.

Samuelsson certainly brings something that this group needs. Β I can see him being a very important piece for quite a long time.

I think we need to let Mittelstadt have some time before knowing what is there. Β He finished last season great. Β I think he has been better at C than W throughout his career.

Ok he looks like the 40 goal scorer ...Better?

I really haven't been a fan of Bryson either but I give players props who deserve it and he had an overall excellent game imo.

I disagree on Dahlin but it doesn't matter either way because if this is going to be who he turns into then it doesn't matter when it started, as long as it continues.

Again, I don't follow college hockey so I have no clue when that will be but I imagine it's soon.

I agree i think Samuelsson will be special.

I have no choice but to give Middlestadt time because he's on the team that I watch, right now and even last season it seems like the only time he does his scoring is when there is nothing on the line for the season. He came on late last year when we already were out of the playoff picture, He got hurt again this year and rinse repeat. He's 23 years old and the time is ticking on him for sure.

Β 

More stats on Eakin and his line….

He was 2 for 10 on face -offs, their Corsi was 20.8%, he had 2 give aways, zero take aways and yet….his line saw 5 more minutes than Asplund, 3 more than Krebs and Olofsson and more 5v5 TOI than that line. Β How? Why? Β WTF?Β 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Just a few quick impressions on this game.

A word that describes how the the Sabres played in this game is dogged. Their stickwork was excellent. And this is the best I have seen them blocking shots.Β 

Olofsson is starting to play with more confidence. If he can get his game back it is like adding another good player to the roster.Β 

I liked the play of Cozens. He has a bulldog style of game with little flash to it. Finesse is one word that doesn't apply to his game.Β 

I thought all the defensive pairings played well. Bryson played better than I expected. He can motor.Β 

Under Granato Skinner has been resuscitated. He can skate, shows grit, shoot, pass and more than anyone else exhibit passion. We have a genuine first line.Β 

I'm going to be patient with Mitts because he has been out so much. If he can get back to the form that he had when Granato took over last year it would be big boost for this team.Β 

The most consistent player on this team is Okposo. He is admirable.

Anderson is not a workhorse goalie. When he is not overused, he plays well.Β 

In the first two periods you can see the offensive potency of the Leafs. The brand of play is not going to work in the playoffs where it is a tighter and tougher game.Β 

I enjoyed this game. In the grand scheme of things does it mean much. Not really. But after watching a game like this you do get a glimmer of hope.Β Β 

Very nice write up.Β  Only thing I'd change is Tage being the most consistent player.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Very nice write up.Β  Only thing I'd change is Tage being the most consistent player.

No, I'd give it to Okie.Β  Tage hasn't been consistent.Β  That's a good thing; he's been constantly improving.Β  He's literally on the brink of stardom.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.