GDT: Ottawa Senators at Buffalo. February 17th, 2022 7pm MSG, ESPN+, WGR550

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, Believer said:

Bingo… Thought Granato’s post game comments lacked his personal involvement… He is an observer… An analyst… He has yet to project any public passion for winning… and hate for losing… outside the locker room anyway… Once again, he plays the youth card… the learning card… Ok… Then this game was two steps back… Just more reinforcement on learning how to lose… Granato is a nurturer… He has demonstrated he can develop talent… Granato has yet to show he can motivate men to win… Time to start demanding more effort and results of his young team… Tonight’s 3rd period performance was an humiliation… 

Granato won’t be here long, he is here for the baby steps. 

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

A very close second to the Pegulas' continuing ownership of the team on the list of most galling things about Sabres Hockey is the sound of Brian Duff giggling after a loss.

Duff has worn out on me. For awhile he was okay but not liking anymore. Of course that basically is my opinion for about all local on air guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol this thread. 

If you could bet on the comments posted after any loss, you'd get rich quick. 

How is the view up there on your cloud of judgment? Must be nice eh. 

Have mercy on us all, those who have sinned the eternal sin of being upset after our team loses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

How is the view up there on your cloud of judgment? Must be nice eh. 

Have mercy on us all, those who have sinned the eternal sin of being upset after our team loses. 

It's nicer than flip flopping from "we're on the right path! Playoffs next year" to "no effort losers! Losing mindset! Granato sucks!"

I mean they are a bottom 10 team that has holes and talent issues still. Even top 10 teams toss out stinkers, doesn't mean the sky is falling. Last night they sucked, I'd expect maybe against Colorado they are a little cleaner in their execution. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

It's nicer than flip flopping from "we're on the right path! Playoffs next year" to "no effort losers! Losing mindset! Granato sucks!"

I mean they are a bottom 10 team that has holes and talent issues still. Even top 10 teams toss out stinkers, doesn't mean the sky is falling. Last night they sucked, I'd expect maybe against Colorado they are a little cleaner in their execution. 

I don't recall personally ever thinking this team was close, but I'm not on the board as much as I was in the past. I honestly don't see this team even close to the playoffs next year to be honest. 

I was more commenting last night because I decided to go to a game; in person, they really looked just plain awful and not like a well coached team. 

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, Believer said:

Nothing Granato can say post game makes this ok… Nothing… He needs to step up his expectations and his messaging… Effort+Hustle+Shots+No Quit = A Winning Ethic… 

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Remember when we were the hardest working team in hockey. This team is not even close to that level regardless of talent. It's sad to se

10 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We seem to have troubles with these scrappy, grinder teams which is expected. I thought the effort was there but we just got out worked in our own zone which 9 times out of 10 means you'll lose the game.

10 hours ago, Believer said:

Watched the Avs last night… 60 minute effort…

9 hours ago, Don Dokken said:

I just do not have a handle on when this team will show up and when it won’t. Thought they would come out flying tonight at home looking for the 3-game streak against a very beatable opponent. Pretty disappointing. 

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I haven't watched much this season to be honest. I love hockey more than football, but the Bills def were the story of the year. 

I remember doing whatever I could to see a hockey game, I would travel if necessary, scrounge up change, etc. 

This team tonight, is simply not worthy of our time, money, or emotion. I haven't seen a game in a week or 2,so I was a little excited to see against a team just lower in the standings. I know we lost which isn't the worst part, but in how we did so that is the killer. It was a boring, uncoordinated, "effort". Tonight was not an NHL team at all out there. 

If they play like this, they are deserving of even less fans out there. 

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

outcoached

7 hours ago, Believer said:

Bingo… Thought Granato’s post game comments lacked his personal involvement… He is an observer… An analyst… He has yet to project any public passion for winning… and hate for losing… outside the locker room anyway… Once again, he plays the youth card… the learning card… Ok… Then this game was two steps back… Just more reinforcement on learning how to lose… Granato is a nurturer… He has demonstrated he can develop talent… Granato has yet to show he can motivate men to win… Time to start demanding more effort and results of his young team… Tonight’s 3rd period performance was an humiliation… 

This is so predictably the response after a loss now. I'm suggesting maybe taking a step back because...

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

They're a normal team in the sense that their "showing up" occurs in the shape of a bell curve centered around an average level of play. They're an abnormal team in that they're a very bad team, so that average is quite low compared to the rest of the league, and as a result have more than twice as many losses as they have wins

And this is very much the reality. 

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I don't recall personally ever thinking this team was close, but I'm not on the board as much as I was in the past. I honestly don't see this team even close to the playoffs next year to be honest. 

I was more commenting last night because I decided to go to a game; in person, they really looked just plain awful and not like a well coached team. 

I'm on record as saying I think this team finishes 22nd and misses the playoffs next year. 

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In fairness, I don’t think it is individual posters flip flopping as much as it is a different groups of posters making themselves heard for losses vs wins.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's fair. 

This game was tough to watch. It was raggedly with little flow to it. Even the RJ, the voice of the Sabres, made a comment that it would be merciful to put the children to bed rather than witness this punishing game. These clunker games can be dispiriting to the fans. So I wouldn't be too critical with the expressions of frustration.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This game was tough to watch. It was raggedly with little flow to it. Even the RJ, the voice of the Sabres, made a comment that it would be merciful to put the children to bed rather than witness this punishing game. These clunker games can be dispiriting to the fans. So I wouldn't be too critical with the expressions of frustration.

Feel similarly. And being frustrated with a particular outcome doesn’t mean we can’t see the forest for the trees. I get that this particular team isn’t going anywhere. But that does not prevent me from being disappointed, for example, that it can only generate 24 shots on goal against a bad team at home despite having six power play opportunities.  I don’t understand what is to be gained by shaming people who express that frustration, but whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The effort was there but they were fighting the puck all night. Early on they carried the play, only to have the Sens take it back in the latter half. Anderson stood on his head as the Sabres kept giving up odd man rushes.

It just wasn't their night. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Reading the posts after ANY loss like...

bryan singer casablanca GIF

Granato's a fairly new suspect. I think the shine is coming off. Work ethic is the weakest of sauces that should be reserved for fans and media. It's shocking to hear an NHL coach in 2022 playing that card.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a typical young team with less talented vets whose overall play is inconsistent. One day they look great the next game they can't complete a simple pass or connect on a slap shot like last night. No telling what you're going to get with this team from day to day but I don't think it has anything to do with lack of effort, it's the talent level. Next year will be better but until the young guys understand their roles and style of play it'll be an up and down year again next season. Granato's job is to play the young guys to give them experience and on the job training, it isn't that tanking is a priority it's just that these guys aren't ready yet to make that step to winning on a consistent basis. 

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Billznut said:

Granato won’t be here long, he is here for the baby steps. 

That makes sense. He's Ron Rolston with a longer leash. Ron, RaKru, Donny, they all were/are smart and know the right buzzwords and are "good with the kids," but at some point on a real NHL team the players see the empty suit, and it has to be a terrible feeling.

No emotion when getting jobbed by Toronto + "work ethic" has soured me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Granato's a fairly new suspect. I think the shine is coming off. Work ethic is the weakest of sauces that should be reserved for fans and media. It's shocking to hear an NHL coach in 2022 playing that card.

IMO it wasn't an effort issue.  They simply had no answer for the Sens defensive system.   They made zero adjustments to it, it was maddening to watch.

13 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Connolly in his very short prime was about as good a forward as we've ever had. I loved watching his dangles. If we got prime Connolly on a long term, we're set!!!!

Thing is, that prime was cut so short due to injury that it doesn't overcome his truly uninspired play prior to THE lockout nor his good to fair play post-Schaeffer incident.

Provided he stays healthy, Krebs has an excellent chance of being better than Connolly when the entire body of work for both end up being reviewed.  Considering how for most teams 9 & 19 go to the really truly offensively gifted players, it is amazing how little true skill the Sabres have gotten from players wearing those 2 unis.  We're it not for Eichel's brief foray w/ that # Roy was far and away the most offensively gifted wearer of 9 and Connolly holds that title for 19.

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I haven't watched much this season to be honest. I love hockey more than football, but the Bills def were the story of the year. 

I remember doing whatever I could to see a hockey game, I would travel if necessary, scrounge up change, etc. 

This team tonight, is simply not worthy of our time, money, or emotion. I haven't seen a game in a week or 2,so I was a little excited to see against a team just lower in the standings. I know we lost which isn't the worst part, but in how we did so that is the killer. It was a boring, uncoordinated, "effort". Tonight was not an NHL team at all out there. 

If they play like this, they are deserving of even less fans out there. 

Fortunately, truly uninspiring play like last night's effort has been the exception, not the rule.  Expecting they'll give a much better effort Saturday, but the end result will likely look worse on paper as the Avs are one of the league's top teams & alas, the Sabres aren't.

I had the game on in the background while I put together my new platform bed that was delivered yesterday. The instructions said it would take 45 minutes to assemble but it ended up taking the entire game, partly because I had to take it apart and re-assemble it due to unclear instructions. 

I paid almost no attention to the game outside of the Okposo goal and do recall hearing RJ talk about how miserable the game was. Sounds like my expletive-ridden assembly experience was LESS painful than the Sabres performance. 

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I had the game on in the background while I put together my new platform bed that was delivered yesterday. The instructions said it would take 45 minutes to assemble but it ended up taking the entire game, partly because I had to take it apart and re-assemble it due to unclear instructions. 

I paid almost no attention to the game outside of the Okposo goal and do recall hearing RJ talk about how miserable the game was. Sounds like my expletive-ridden assembly experience was LESS painful than the Sabres performance. 

Don't know about being less painful.  The play was actually rather numbing it was so ineffective.

8 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I watched my son’s team play a similar game to what the Sabres did. It was a winnable game, they had no jump and could barely make a play. There was an OHL GM at the game, some junior scouts and the kids put up a stinker.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

IMO it wasn't an effort issue.  They simply had no answer for the Sens defensive system.   They made zero adjustments to it, it was maddening to watch.

You'd think they could at least figure something out when there was one less senator on the ice, but each power play was equally woeful 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, pi2000 said:

outcoached

I’m starting to see more examples of this.  It has to be hard for Granato to keep these guys up and ready, and they have had lots of injuries, but yesterday they had a winning streak, a division game, a home game, and a team you want to keep ahead of all right there. They laid an egg. The didn’t play a third period.  

Their performance against Detroit and Ottawa concern me when I think about how long it will take just to contend for a division.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.