2022 Olympic Hockey Thread

Brawndo

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Curling is awesome.  Every 4 yrs I get an urge to join a curling club.  Then I remember the last thing I need is another time sucking hobby to not be good at.

I was in one for a couple of years.  It only took about 3.5 hours per week, including to/from Ontario, but I live closer than you do.  It was SO much fun.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Holy ####.  

Mike Tirico just gave China some serious crap.  (Not nearly as much as they deserve, but really did not see even this coming.)

####ing awesome.

I want to see this; how can I?

Watching the USA Women destroy the Russian Women.

And presuming the US Men will be wearing the same unis, but want to know who designed the unis?  They look like friggin' practice duds.  ALL navy blue (sweaters, pants, socks)w/ white helmets, white #'s & a couple of very thin red piping swaths on the sleeves, socks, & around the #'s which are pretty much unobservable except in close ups.

IMHO, embarrassingly bad unis.  Especially for a country that tends to have really sharp unis.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Watching the USA Women destroy the Russian Women.

And presuming the US Men will be wearing the same unis, but want to know who designed the unis?  They look like friggin' practice duds.  ALL navy blue (sweaters, pants, socks)w/ white helmets, white #'s & a couple of very thin red piping swaths on the sleeves, socks, & around the #'s which are pretty much unobservable except in close ups.

IMHO, embarrassingly bad unis.  Especially for a country that tends to have really sharp unis.

Jack Han talked about it this morning how Russia was playing a 1-1-3 and USA was just dumping and recovering pucks because they were bigger and faster.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Jack Han talked about it this morning how Russia was playing a 1-1-3 and USA was just dumping and recovering pucks because they were bigger and faster.

The Russian women really can't compete w/ them.  W/ 6:30 left in the 1st, the US is outshooting them 15 - 0.  The game is NOT that close, though the score was still only 1-0.

(Oh, and apparently there's also really thin royal blue piping on the unis as well.  Seriously bad unis.) 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

The biggest thing (that I noticed) in the US women's win over Russia was that the Americans were the first to get to loose pucks, and also winning board battles, in almost every instance. Could these two simple aspects transfer to the NHL, and Sabres, vis~a~vis the win/loss column, irrespective of talent level?

... now you're suggesting speed and ability to win board battles doesn't have a talent component. 

But to answer, no. A team of bjorks who win battles and are fast aren't going to win much. 

On 2/3/2022 at 7:32 PM, Eleven said:

I was in one for a couple of years.  It only took about 3.5 hours per week, including to/from Ontario, but I live closer than you do.  It was SO much fun.

I want to see this; how can I?

Hope there is more than just that.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

... now you're suggesting speed and ability to win board battles doesn't have a talent component. 

But to answer, no. A team of bjorks who win battles and are fast aren't going to win much. 

I guess your right: I was in a manner sequestering getting to loose pucks and winning board battles from talent; an oversight on my part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.