2022 Olympic Hockey Thread

Brawndo

Up until his first two games in the Olympics, I’ve only seen Power in the Michigan highlights posted here and his brief appearance in the World Juniors. Everything I’ve heard about how well he moves seems to be true and he plays with a poise that belies his young age. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I read a good point on Twitter. Canada was beaten by a bunch of NCAA stars while the best goalie in the NCAA is in the press box for Canada.

Free Levi!

It’s all setting up just like the movie script.

Next is the scene where Julien is nursing a rye and coke in a dark basement office, brooding at his whiteboard.

Enter Shane Doan: “we gotta play the kid”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I read a good point on Twitter. Canada was beaten by a bunch of NCAA stars while the best goalie in the NCAA is in the press box for Canada.

Free Levi!

Exactly.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:19 AM, DarthEbriate said:

Judge Levi by his size, do you?

For Pasquale, he's the veteran mentor, but every KHL goalie's stats are wildly inflated compared to the NHL. Mediocre! Tomkins... seems like his name is missing a P. Meh.

Levi is the lifeblood of Canada! The syrup of the big red leaf! They remember the WJCs and how he willed them to the (silver) final.

You don't expect to eat the Olympic pancakes without putting on your maple syrup!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Underwhelmed by that Canadian team and those uni’s are terrible. Must have outsourced that to China. 

The US navy unis are nearly as bad.  Those look like practice jerseys.

The Canadian reds look like something Nike would've come up w/ as alternates for the Cleveland Browns if they tried their hands at hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I tried googling her to get the full story here. Am I missing something? In my eye it would be hard to beat Dutch speedskater gold medalist Jutta Leerdam, but I may be missing some criteria.

Edit: correction... It was Irene Schouten that won gold, not Jutta. 

My bad, I misspelled her name apparently its  

Stefania Constantini

She's deadly accurate in mixed curling and led her team to an undefeated gold medal alongside Amos Mosaner. 

She hit shot after shot in every match and is a pleasant young woman. 

32 minutes ago, Norcal said:

My bad, I misspelled her name apparently its  

Stefania Constantini

She's deadly accurate in mixed curling and led her team to an undefeated gold medal alongside Amos Mosaner. 

She hit shot after shot in every match and is a pleasant young woman. 

Matteo's Cousin Perhaps?

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

I like Strauss Mann even more now. Some team should bring him home next season. 

If not for the possible repercussions regarding getting Portillo in house & the likelihood it lowers the odds of getting a competent current NHL netminder, would e fine w/ his addition to the team depth.

Can't see it happening w/ the Sabres already having 3 touted prospects about his age.  He has to have better opportunities available to him should he continue his excellent Olympic play.

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If not for the possible repercussions regarding getting Portillo in house & the likelihood it lowers the odds of getting a competent current NHL netminder, would e fine w/ his addition to the team depth.

Can't see it happening w/ the Sabres already having 3 touted prospects about his age.  He has to have better opportunities available to him should he continue his excellent Olympic play.

I've said before that Buffalo should bring him in but I could see how he would be hesitant.

He has the opportunity to be patient since he has a professional job already and should still be able to continue to develop and grow his game there.

How long can he hang in so far from home is the only question. 

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

I would give him a shot for depth. 
Would this hurt the signing of Portillo? He was behind Mann at Michigan.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Norcal said:

I hate the white numbers on the USA jerseys when the game is in play but they look nice otherwise. 

Canada should wear white with a red leaf at all times imo.  

They are both just awful jerseys.  If you want to make an ugly jersey, fine, it’s a stylistic choice, but you have to be absolutely clueless to make a jersey with numbers that are extremely difficult to read.  Nice that you think it looks good or whatever, but no one can tell who anyone is out there because the numbers are almost unreadable.  Inexcusable.  Both Canada and USA suffer from this.  

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I couldn’t hear but it sounded like Healy and Poulin at the intermission were talking about Buffalo pulling Levi from the tournament.

There's no point in Levi being the healthy scratch for Canada. Sucks cuz the experience of being there is cool but he's developing his game sitting in a press box. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.