2022 Olympic Hockey Thread

Brawndo

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Barring injury, I don't see a scenario with that roster where Levi doesn't start and Power doesn't log the most minutes.

The other goalies are big and having great seasons of their own overseas.   I just Levi gets a game here and there.

I expect a similar trajectory for Power as what we saw at the Worlds last year.   

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The other goalies are big and having great seasons of their own overseas.   I just Levi gets a game here and there.

I expect a similar trajectory for Power as what we saw at the Worlds last year.   

Judge Levi by his size, do you?

For Pasquale, he's the veteran mentor, but every KHL goalie's stats are wildly inflated compared to the NHL. Mediocre! Tomkins... seems like his name is missing a P. Meh.

Levi is the lifeblood of Canada! The syrup of the big red leaf! They remember the WJCs and how he willed them to the (silver) final.

Here's the thing for me: This isn't a case of  a more talented kid having to sit behind a less-talented vet because he's not quite ready yet.

It's not Hinostroza over Peterka or Quinn.

Levi is already head and shoulders above the other 2 guys. He's a better player now.

Distant observers don't know that yet, but Hockey Canada does.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Here's the thing for me: This isn't a case of  a more talented kid having to sit behind a less-talented vet because he's not quite ready yet.

It's not Hinostroza over Peterka or Quinn.

Levi is already head and shoulders above the other 2 guys. He's a better player now.

Distant observers don't know that yet, but Hockey Canada does.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.   

Levi is playing NCAA while the other two are seasoned pros.    

Sure Levi's put up some nice numbers against amatuers, but these two (both drafter higher than Levi) are having really nice pro seasons....

Pasquale KHL 38g  .916 1.99gaa
Tomkins SHL 23g .913 2.23gaa 

I'd say unless Levi dazzles in the prelims, he likely won't dress in the medal rounds.     

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.   

Levi is playing NCAA while the other two are seasoned pros.    

Sure Levi's put up some nice numbers against amatuers, but these two (both drafter higher than Levi) are having really nice pro seasons....

Pasquale KHL 38g  .916 1.99gaa
Tomkins SHL 23g .913 2.23gaa 

I'd say unless Levi dazzles in the prelims, he likely won't dress in the medal rounds.     

Yea, why wouldn't you want the 22nd best goalie by sv% from the KHL (10gp or more)

or tied for 10th best goalie by sv% in the SHL, that is 10th out of 24 qualifying gt. 

great guys, way better than the #1 goalie by sv% in the NCAA. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, why wouldn't you want the 22nd best goalie by sv% from the KHL (10gp or more)

or tied for 10th best goalie by sv% in the SHL, that is 10th out of 24 qualifying gt. 

great guys, way better than the #1 goalie by sv% in the NCAA. 

Yo, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic here.... 🙂

Tomkins and Pasquale will be playing against their peers in the Olympics, and those numbers are no joke.

Levi?   Has never played against pros.... so jury is out.     It's foolish to simply assume he'll put up the same numbers he did in college, when the sample size is 0.

At this point, he's 3rd string.    Let's hope he proves to everyone he deserves the starting nod.

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Tomkins and Pasquale will be playing against their peers in the Olympics, and those numbers are no joke.

Levi?   Has never played against pros.... so jury is out.     It's foolish to simply assume he'll put up the same numbers he did in college, when the sample size is 0.

At this point, he's 3rd string.    Let's hope he proves to everyone he deserves the starting nod.

Would I gamble on 2 mediocre guys with mediocre save percentages being mediocre, the answer is yes. Those numbers are the definition of meh. 

I assume that Levi gets a fair shot against both because honestly, he's got the most talent of the 3. 

33 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

From a logical armchair perspective you are absolutely correct.

On the ice, it has been, and will be a different story.

I believe Levi is better than, and more highly regarded by Hockey Canada than, conventional wisdom and the hockey Internet would have you believe.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

From a logical armchair perspective you are absolutely correct.

On the ice, it has been, and will be a different story.

I believe Levi is better than, and more highly regarded by Hockey Canada than, conventional wisdom and the hockey Internet would have you believe.

Really expect that they'll head into this w/ a whomever is playing the best in the RR gets the medal round.  Expecting practices & film get them to their top 2 & then those 2 both get a game or 2 if the competition is close to take the reins.

Also expect that Levi will win that competition.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People who make fun of curling and enjoy baseball have no sense of perspective.

Curling is awesome.  Every 4 yrs I get an urge to join a curling club.  Then I remember the last thing I need is another time sucking hobby to not be good at.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People who make fun of curling and enjoy baseball have no sense of perspective.

Alot more involved than hurling stones down the ice. I've seen it and briefly watched matches before but I'm enjoying it quite a bit watching the best in the world do it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.