Should Mark Pysyk Be Re-Signed?

bob_sauve28

I’d rather have a grizzled vet (yah know someone who likes to hurt people) and pair that guy with Power or Dahlin.  If Miller, Butcher and whoever else are gone, I could see a spot for Pisser. 

15 minutes ago, Derrico said:

He is JAG.  If he gets a one year deal for JAG money fine.  But with Power, Johnson and Mule hopefully on the way, I don't know if there is room.

Why is Johnson being slated onto the Sabres?  He needs at least a season in the A.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And if yes, for how much and for how long? 

I think he is a valuable player and should be offered a three year deal at 2 million at least. You can never have enough good d-men and he is a veteran who is good, seems humble and also seems like a good presence on the team.

What say you? 

Dahlin and Jokiharju are the only NHL D signed for next season.

Power and Samuelsson will likely be in the lineup completing the LHD group (unless Matt moves to RD).

That leaves two starting jobs (on the right side) and at least one bench job for Bryson (LHD), Fitzgerald (RHD), Laaksonen (RHD) and Psysk (RHD) (if re-signed).

I don't think Johnson is NHL ready, but who knows until he gets here. 

I have a feeling that management will want another proven vet in the lineup.  I can see someone like Bryson being moved to make room for an acquired vet.   

Could Pysyk be re-signed?  I'd say probably with a raise over this season, to keep some veterans on the roster, especially if KA fails to acquire a better veteran player.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dahlin and Jokiharju are the only NHL D signed for next season.

Power and Samuelsson will likely be in the lineup completing the LHD group (unless Matt moves to RD).

That leaves two starting jobs (on the right side) and at least one bench job for Bryson (LHD), Fitzgerald (RHD), Laaksonen (RHD) and Psysk (RHD) (if re-signed).

I don't think Johnson is NHL ready, but who knows until he gets here. 

I have a feeling that management will want another proven vet in the lineup.  I can see someone like Bryson being moved to make room for an acquired vet.   

Always have to be ready for injuries which will happen. And Covid will probably be still a thing. Not sold on Fitz yet or Laakson, I 'd really like to have Psysk available to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

Power and Samuelsson will join Bryson, Jokiharju and Dahlin on next year's team, leaving two jobs.

One of those should go to a defensively responsible, preferably physical veteran RHD.

I'm OK with Pysyk getting the other spot. Market value is about 1-year $1 million. I'd consider 2 years for less, or 1 year for slightly more

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Derrico said:

He is JAG.  If he gets a one year deal for JAG money fine.  But with Power, Johnson and Mule hopefully on the way, I don't know if there is room.

He leads the team in TRpm.   He's not flashy, just does his job very well.  

==============================================================
Team  Player                   TRpm    GP    +/-  exp+/-  %min
BUF Mark Pysyk                10.32    33     2   -8.32   32.0
BUF Colin Miller               7.11    28     0   -7.11   27.4
BUF Mark Jankowski             3.65     4     3   -0.65    2.5
BUF Vinnie Hinostroza          3.29    31    -3   -6.29   24.2
BUF Brett Murray               1.93    15    -1   -2.93   11.3

That said, if they can replace him with a better veteran to mentor Power, then by all means upgrade.    

If you can do better... do better.

• Like (+1) 3

"valuable" is a stretch, but Jag is too harsh. 

Veteran RHD with a small amount of grit I consider him a decent depth defenseman. With all the youngsters I'd consider keeping him and not as a temp but as a piece of a team that you want to build a culture of stability around.

3 years 1 million per. 

I'd even consider slapping an A on him until Power is ready to take it over. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I’d rather have a grizzled vet (yah know someone who likes to hurt people) and pair that guy with Power or Dahlin.  If Miller, Butcher and whoever else are gone, I could see a spot for Pisser. 

Why is Johnson being slated onto the Sabres?  He needs at least a season in the A.  

And those guys don't play the side Pysyk does, either. 

If not Pysyk, they'll certainly need another right shot body. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And those guys don't play the side Pysyk does, either. 

If not Pysyk, they'll certainly need another right shot body. 

Isn't there an NHL team out there with all LHD or something like that?  I see guys switching sides all the time.  Being serious, does it really even matter what side they shoot?

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Isn't there an NHL team out there with all LHD or something like that?  I see guys switching sides all the time.  Being serious, does it really even matter what side they shoot?

I ran through all the teams a while back - what I found was that it's common on lower pairs for a d-man to play on his offhand, but it's very uncommon for a player to play their off-hand on a top pair. I believe you can count the off-hand top pair players on one hand, in fact it might only be one guy or two. 

I wouldn't say it "doesn't matter" as it the units still lean heavily overall towards being "properly handed", but it's common to see players on their offhand, as mentioned particularly on lower pairs. 

I'll take a quick look and see if the top pairs still hold by that

• Thanks (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Derrico said:

So out of 32 teams and 64 players listed as playing the top pair, 61 play on their proper hand. 3 players in the league are listed as playing top pair on their offhand - 

MacKenzie Weegar plays left as a right shot for florida, (ekblad on right as a righty)

Giordano plays the right as a left shot in seattle 

tj brodie plays the right side as a left shot toronto

- - - 

You don't go 29/32 teams and 61/64 players with a held trend without that being meaningful - clearly teams prefer their best D men playing on their proper hands. That we see more playing their offhand further down the pairings IMO then points to the fact there's simply more left handed shot players than right: ideally you'd want handedness to line up all the way down, it's just not always possible given the unbalanced talent pool 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So out of 32 teams and 64 players listed as playing the top pair, 61 play on their proper hand. 3 players in the league are listed as playing top pair on their offhand - 

MacKenzie Weegar plays left as a right shot for florida, (ekblad on right as a righty)

Giordano plays the right as a left shot in seattle 

tj brodie plays the right side as a left shot toronto

- - - 

You don't go 29/32 teams and 61/64 players with a held trend without that being meaningful - clearly teams prefer their best D men playing on their proper hands. That we see more playing their offhand further down the pairings IMO then points to the fact there's simply more left handed shot players than right: ideally you'd want handedness to line up all the way down, it's just not always possible given the unbalanced talent pool 

My boy is on the top pairing in Florida?

Awesome!!

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I would sign him for another year at about $1.25 million, just as a cheap insurance policy.

Agree. Replacement level depth players like Pysyk who are good in their limited roles need to be kept on their toes with 1-2 year deals. Anything more and they have less incentive to train/play hard each game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.