Should Mark Pysyk Be Re-Signed?

bob_sauve28

In agreement with most at $850K-1.25MM a year for 2-3 years. 

Yes he is a JAG, but he is a JAG that knows the system and does reasonably well in it.  He is a vet and likeable personality in the room (so it seems), and can step into a larger role when there are injuries or someone is struggling. 

I know he wants a regular spot in the line-up as a defensemen, but he likely will have less of a problem being the 7th or 8th guy on the roster with a multi-year deal.  

32 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

In agreement with most at $850K-1.25MM a year for 2-3 years. 

Yes he is a JAG, but he is a JAG that knows the system and does reasonably well in it.  He is a vet and likeable personality in the room (so it seems), and can step into a larger role when there are injuries or someone is struggling. 

I know he wants a regular spot in the line-up as a defensemen, but he likely will have less of a problem being the 7th or 8th guy on the roster with a multi-year deal.  

In most cases, the 7th D-man has an opportunity to get close to 50% games played just due to injuries and suspensions through the course of the year to the top 6.  With the versatility of someone like Pysyk, and with the top 6 containing a lot of potentially 'young' guys that might find part of the season where they need a 'day or two' off, Pysyk as the 7th D-man might end up getting 60+ games played pretty easily.

• Like (+1) 2

1-2 year deal, however much it takes.

He isn’t a JAG.  He is an unimpressive but solid bottom 4 D.  Ideally he is your 6/7, but if you have injuries and need to throw him out there for 22 mins a game for a couple weeks, he isn’t going to look like a problem out there.

And he plays a side that the Sabres are thin on while also being a nice guy veteran who the kids can learn from.

• Like (+1) 2

Whether they should bring him back IMHO comes down to is he going to be "blocking" them getting 1-2 better vets than him & Hagg to support the kids that will be filling out the other 6 (or possibly even 7) slots on the big team?

If bringing him back keeps them from getting their Boychuk & Leddy to work w/ the kids and make sure they can always put out at least 1 settle down pairing when necessary, then, no, don't bring him back.

If they have no intention of going external to get a Boychuk & Leddy of their own, then absolutely bring him back for chemistry & continuity.  Wouldn't bring him back at anything over $2/yr.  Doubt that'll be an issue.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

And those guys don't play the side Pysyk does, either. 

If not Pysyk, they'll certainly need another right shot body. 

Unless you want to reunite the Subban brothers Klingberg, Manson, Schultz, Gudbrandson not much else in free agency. 

Gudrandson would be the cheapest and if he was interested I'd sign him. Would also want Manson but He could stay a Duck unless they have cap issues. 

I'd actually sign one of them AND Pysyk.

It's kind of funny though isn't it, after we eagerly ditched the viking RHD we need a RHD. Seems to be an ongoing Sabre type thing. 

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Draft Jiricek, sign Jan Rutta

I hadn't thought of Rutta but with the expected departures of Butcher, Miller, Pysyk and Hagg, you have just lost over 9M in salary cap next year. If I keep anyone of those, I'd pick Hagg as your 7th Dman along with Bryson/Samuelsson as your 3rd pairing LD 8th man. You have the spare cash to go after someone like Klingberg as your 1st or 2nd pairing guy and keep Fitzgerald as your 3rd pairing RD. 

Right now Dahlin is getting heavy minutes and Power eventually/shortly will also get heavy minutes so that 3rd pairing duo isn't going to get much besides PK time IMO. Pysyk shows flashes of being competent but there's better guys to get and they have the cap available to upgrade that spot significantly if they want.

Dahlin-Power-Samuelsson-Bryson-Joker-Fitzgerald-Hagg and Klingberg/or another solid vet and you still have your young core to build off of plus Jiricek or another RD with one of those 3 1st rounders they have this year. They're looking solid on the backend in the near future. Pysyk isn't needed. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.