GDT - Sabres @ Wild - December 16, 2021 - 8 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

Doohickie

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If not for the 2 weak goals, UPL would've had a shut out.  Good to see he isn't letting past events stay in his head.  Excellent game by him overall.

Does Granato ride the hot hand in Pittsburgh or does Subban get the start?

No. He should play Subban tomorrow. If there was a day off after this game I would say stay with the big young goalie. As you pointed out what was impressive about his play is that he didn't allow goals against him to fester in his mind. Big body and strong mind!

From an overview perspective the Sabres have played upper tier teams over the past 4 or 5 games. In each game they played the opposition toe to toe. When this team gets the caliber of goaltending that it is getting with UPL it elevates the players playing in front of him. 

Even if the Sabres would have lost in a shootout I would have been really proud of this team. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

OT is where we need a top line talent (the Eichel-factor) to step up and make something happen. We need someone to be that guy in OT on the roster.

Thompson…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I was told he was a bust and we should trade him... perhaps he's finally being taught nhl hockey and gaining confidence?

I'm glad that you mentioned Joki as one of the players who played well in this game. He's been playing with confidence and more authority than before. I know that a lot of people don't like him paired with Dahling but they are playing well together. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

What a game! What a finish!

So thrilled for 6K on this hard fought quality OT/SO win against a top team in their own barn!

Sabre Space Christmas Cheers!

(Brought to you by the great taste and graciousness of @TheGhostOfYuri )

New Doc 2021-12-16 21.44.47_1 3.jpg

Excellent points and that looks friggin delicious!! 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I was told he was a bust and we should trade him... perhaps he's finally being taught nhl hockey and gaining confidence?

People should really look at what Lidstrom and Hedman were doing at 21. I think people forget Ray Bourque made mistakes all the time because he was the guy and had the puck so much for Boston.  I think in 2 years when this team is competing that Dahlin will be incredible

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Solid game tonight, I'm not taking UPL out of this lineup. This kids getting valuable minutes and looking like he belongs at the same time.

I feel the same but you don't want to kill the golden goose. Injuries happen when you're tired. UPL will never say don't play me. I think you have to start Subban and hold your breath.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

How so?

They have to travel tonight & still play on the road.  At this point, he's significantly better than Subban when rested, but is he after 2 road games in 3 days playing the next day?

Hamilton claimed in a tweet response to a question I asked that the goalies were splitting the back to backs.

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Signature victory  great effort   Can’t wait to add more skill to this lineup  for Don to work with 

will be interesting who starts tomorrow.  
3 tough games in 4 days for UPL if he starts 

I think we could see Subban  

Paul Hamilton claimed the goalies are splitting the back o backs, so that would mean Subban.

Just now, Taro T said:

How long ago was the answer?  UPL played both halfs of the last btb.

earlier today

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Signature victory  great effort   Can’t wait to add more skill to this lineup  for Don to work with 

will be interesting who starts tomorrow.  
3 tough games in 4 days for UPL if he starts 

I think we could see Subban 

If Subban starts, UPL will replace him by the second period.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

What a game! What a finish!

So thrilled for 6K on this hard fought quality OT/SO win against a top team in their own barn!

Sabre Space Christmas Cheers!

(Brought to you by the great taste and graciousness of @TheGhostOfYuri )

New Doc 2021-12-16 21.44.47_1 3.jpg

Sure, now everyone is gonna want some Zombie Crack.  😄

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kyle Okposo appreciation post. 

ice hockey thumbs up GIF by NHL

So much awesome!!!!!  😄

28 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Starting to like what I've seen lately. I don't miss John at all. Team plays better without him. Tuch better not come in and ***** everything up, 😆

We might actually be seeing a bit of the Tuch effect already in practice. Nobody wants to be the one he replaces and competition for spots is one key to improving. 

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Subban should play tomorrow. UPL made some big saves but the goals he let in were not that great. Let's not elevate him to messiah status just yet and give the kid a rest to regroup and come back solid rather than burning him out.  

Playing in Pitt has been a house of horrors.  No way would i play him again.  He has had a lot of work, two road wins.  

Subban might step up.  More important is that the 18 skaters play hard again and support him   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

Whoa.

Is this really happening?

UPL was solid as a freaking rock again (I know those 2 goals leaked through, but the 1st one was a wicked 1-timer off a cross-ice pass and the 2nd one was by an elite NHL scorer who was allowed to stroll into the circle and pick his spot).  He was calm, controlled, anticipated well, used his size well and made great saves in OT and the SO.

I think he is giving the team a major confidence boost.  

And I think he might be the one.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.