GDT: Tampa Bay @ Buffalo - 10/25/2021 - 7pm EDT

WildCard

9 hours ago, eman said:

Right now, he’s coach of the year! Good for you Donny! I would have bet the house Tampa Bay was really going to lay one on the Sabres tonight. Never happier to be wrong! And hey, how about the goaltending so far? Pretty damn good from an old guy and a career AHLer! 

I’m watching now the replay and Anderson is just playing great. I also thought Tampa was going to stomp us. Gladly wrong! 

The goaltending is crazy, though. Never expected us to have decent goaltending. So happy 

• Like (+1) 4

Great game by a team that is learning that the game is 60 minutes long and what it takes to win.  

It's early in the season, but so far the Sabres are playing as a team and are showing up for every shift in every game so far.  Even the Bruin loss they did not play terrible.

• Like (+1) 4

Just saw the highlights...Caggiula's goal was really nice. Anderson looked exceptional. 

Advanced stats say we got outplayed by a fair bit, did it look that way? I assume the strong effort remained regardless.

Nice win, the ones over Tampa mean a bit more to me, not least because of the cheap shots they always take against us

16 hours ago, steveoath said:

Won't see the game tonight.  Go Sabres. 

Mighty Walrus

Rainbow Vomit GIF

LOL

Listened to Granato on Wgr on my drive in, he's really in tune with the team and seems to have realistic expectations. He mentioned cozens has talent and drive but they're both too far ahead of his experience and he needs sheltering still. He also mentioned that Dahlin playing more minutes forces him to be calmer and more efficient as he knows he cant just press for 14 minutes hard and make mistakes. 

Clearly he's POd about the Stamkos hit, he didn't comment. 

He said even though they looked outgunned in the 1st and 2nd he was never worried and kept pushing the team to push back, very refreshing. Actual hockey talk. 

• Like (+1) 8

9 hours ago, sabresouth said:

Well well well... Amazing what good goaltending will do for a team. If the bolts had gone into the third with three goals we probably lose this game. I really hope our goaltending can keep this up through the rest of the season. Great job so far.

It's ironic that entering the season the goaltending staffing was the biggest concern for most of us (including me). In the first half dozen games where this team has played beyond expectations goaltending has not only been consistently good but it has been the main reason why this gritty yet incomplete roster has played beyond expectations. I don't know if it can hold up but to put it mildly I'm pleasantly surprised. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

he did, but mostly I'm impressed with Hagg. idk why Philly gave up on him but at this point he's playing as good as, probably better than Risto did and we got draft picks along with him in that deal so for the moment, that stands as KA's greatest achievement. 

I remember reading something about him being disappointed with his play in Philly, and wanted to use this as an opportunity to become a better player.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Just saw the highlights...Caggiula's goal was really nice. Anderson looked exceptional. 

Advanced stats say we got outplayed by a fair bit, did it look that way? I assume the strong effort remained regardless.

We were mostly dominated in the 1st and absolutely caved in the 2nd territorially.

That said, we did limit the Grade A chances, and Tampa whiffed on the few they had, which might have changed the way the game unfolded.

The weird thing was, instead of us wilting under the pressure, it was Tampa who eventually caved. We came out and won the third.

Anderson was very good and the effort remained.

42 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Between baseball and football(and lack of interest due to Pegula era hockey), I haven’t watched more than a few minutes of any game.  I guess I will check in on some of the west coast late games. 

I'm begging your to reconsider. 😜

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Did he come back?

Yes

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m watching now the replay and Anderson is just playing great. I also thought Tampa was going to stomp us. Gladly wrong! 

The goaltending is crazy, though. Never expected us to have decent goaltending. So happy 

I saw plenty of Tokarski when he was in the AHL with the Hamilton Bulldogs (I live in the area) and he was a terrific goalie who could steal you some games. He's been around the block and is an excellent choice for a back up. He knows his role and accepts it. He can fill in in a pinch due to injury etc. Glad to see him get the chance here. Better than Hutton in my opinion. Glad Granato got the job. I know the season is very early and we have seen similar Sabre streaks in the past couple of seasons but the style they are playing under Coach Donnie is fun to watch and you can see the team chemistry out there. Such a nice change for this long time suffering Sabres fan! Go Donny Go!

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

lets pump the brakes for a second, score shoulda been 3-0 Tampa after the first 10min

later in the season it'll be Vasilevsky and if they play the same the score will be reversed

What's the matter? People too happy? Gotta nip that in the bud? Thankfully we still have the Eichel thing to bring us down. Here's something we can read at bedtime. @Hoss will love it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

he did, but mostly I'm impressed with Hagg. idk why Philly gave up on him but at this point he's playing as good as, probably better than Risto did and we got draft picks along with him in that deal so for the moment, that stands as KA's greatest achievement. 

Truth. At the beginning, the posts here were disappointed in his acquisition, but I have to say, he has been a really pleasant surprise to the start of this season. So far, I really like his play. Risto who?

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We were mostly dominated in the 1st and absolutely caved in the 2nd territorially.

That said, we did limit the Grade A chances, and Tampa whiffed on the few they had, which might have changed the way the game unfolded.

The weird thing was, instead of us wilting under the pressure, it was Tampa who eventually caved. We came out and won the third.

Anderson was very good and the effort remained.

I'm begging your to reconsider. 😜

Yes

Thanks dude

52 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Between baseball and football(and lack of interest due to Pegula era hockey), I haven’t watched more than a few minutes of any game.  I guess I will check in on some of the west coast late games. 

Small sample size, but I am shocked at the start they have had. 👍

How can you hang out here every day then not watch?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I haven't been this entertained by a Sabres team since the Pegulas bought the team.

Okay - maybe the spring of 2011 when they made the playoffs and, at some point towards the end of the season in a key game, Gerbe had that sick spinorama goal.

But, really. They're fun to watch - regardless of what the score is. They keep coming, they keep going.

54 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Small sample size, but I am shocked at the start they have had. 👍

Same. The Sabres have sucked for years, and there's about 3 interesting players on the team that I care about. I'll watch next year once we get some more juice and an actual roster, but this is a throwaway year for me. Until then I'll get my news and discussion from SS

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Same. The Sabres have sucked for years, and there's about 3 interesting players on the team that I care about. I'll watch next year once we get some more juice and an actual roster, but this is a throwaway year for me. Until then I'll get my news and discussion from SS

I totally do not get that. Commenting on a team you don't even watch.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.