Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

As a season ticket holder of the Knights and a Sabres fan, this years Knights team is trash. All the injuries plus suspect goaltending in Lehner. Dumping Fleury was a huge huge mistake as he was the face of this franchise.  Management went all in the last few seasons and it has failed miserably. The chemistry has been off this year and the trade of Eichel for Tuch, Krebs, and that 1st rounder didn’t bring more success to the Knights. I thought the trade would benefit both teams but the more Eichel has played the more you see the laziness. What I’m talking about is we know he’s super talented but he’s all over the place in the defensive zone without actually picking up the man and in the offensive zone he doesn’t forecheck hard enough when not having the puck. It’s like he wants the wingers to do all the hustling and grinding and him hang back. I want players to skate hard. I also see why Montreal couldn’t stand Pacioretty. Yes he has a great shot but the guy is lazy besides how often this guy gets injured. When he plays his best is when he’s pissed off.  Last playoffs for instance you would think you are playing your former team that you captained and you were floating around way to much getting outplayed by the guy the Knights traded you for. Nick Suzuki. I absolutely hated that trade. I’m hoping the Sabres don’t blow this rebuild because I like what I’m seeing from them. To me since that Eichel trade and Sabres don’t look like the same team. Tuch and Krebs have been very good for Buffalo besides the emergence of Thompson and Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

5 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

What I’m talking about is we know he’s super talented but he’s all over the place in the defensive zone without actually picking up the man and in the offensive zone he doesn’t forecheck hard enough when not having the puck.

Oh, we know what you're talking about.  We've been talking about it since 2015.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Andrew Hammond with 42 saves - second most of his career.  Devils win 3-2.  This was a must have for the GK.  Vegas needs to win out, and I can’t see that happening.  Lehner was a key factor in the loss.

Seinfeld Shame GIF

Boy was he. That third goal. I need to post a video. He had no idea the puck was in the net. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

As a season ticket holder of the Knights and a Sabres fan, this years Knights team is trash. All the injuries plus suspect goaltending in Lehner. Dumping Fleury was a huge huge mistake as he was the face of this franchise.  Management went all in the last few seasons and it has failed miserably. The chemistry has been off this year and the trade of Eichel for Tuch, Krebs, and that 1st rounder didn’t bring more success to the Knights. I thought the trade would benefit both teams but the more Eichel has played the more you see the laziness. What I’m talking about is we know he’s super talented but he’s all over the place in the defensive zone without actually picking up the man and in the offensive zone he doesn’t forecheck hard enough when not having the puck. It’s like he wants the wingers to do all the hustling and grinding and him hang back. I want players to skate hard. I also see why Montreal couldn’t stand Pacioretty. Yes he has a great shot but the guy is lazy besides how often this guy gets injured. When he plays his best is when he’s pissed off.  Last playoffs for instance you would think you are playing your former team that you captained and you were floating around way to much getting outplayed by the guy the Knights traded you for. Nick Suzuki. I absolutely hated that trade. I’m hoping the Sabres don’t blow this rebuild because I like what I’m seeing from them. To me since that Eichel trade and Sabres don’t look like the same team. Tuch and Krebs have been very good for Buffalo besides the emergence of Thompson and Dahlin.

This is far more interesting than provoking @SwampD in the schadenfreude thread.

Over the past few days, I went over some highlights posted from their games by fans and media alike starting when Eichel returned.

Is it just me, or is Lehner flat out worse when Pietrangelo is on the ice?  Whenever Lehner gives up a goal that looks really bad, it seems like Pietrangelo did something unexpected or wrong immediately beforehand.

That defence seems to cough the puck up in their own zone increasingly often.  This seems indicative of losing the feel of the structure of the system.  Are forwards leaving the zone too early?  Are defencemen less aware of the opposition?  How much of this is due to players having long stints on LTIR needing to get integrated back into the team concept.

Note: I don't think Peter DeBoer is a good head coach.  LVGK often look disorganised in both the offencive and defencive zones.  We saw this in San Jose, so I was wondering if it's a trend.

Speaking of San Jose, often their scoring would inexplicably dry up for stretches under DeBoer.  How much of that is related to the defencive responsibilities the forwards have, the lack of ensemble play, and the seeming loss of structure in the offencive zone?  And how much of that is players coming back off of IR?

And is it just me, or is Lehner flat out jittery when either Pacioretty or Eichel is on the ice in the defencive zone?

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan

57 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This is far more interesting than provoking @SwampD in the schadenfreude thread.

Over the past few days, I went over some highlights posted from their games by fans and media alike starting when Eichel returned.

Is it just me, or is Lehner flat out worse when Pietrangelo is on the ice?  Whenever Lehner gives up a goal that looks really bad, it seems like Pietrangelo did something unexpected or wrong immediately beforehand.

That defence seems to cough the puck up in their own zone increasingly often.  This seems indicative of losing the feel of the structure of the system.  Are forwards leaving the zone too early?  Are defencemen less aware of the opposition?  How much of this is due to players having long stints on LTIR needing to get integrated back into the team concept.

Note: I don't think Peter DeBoer is a good head coach.  LVGK often look disorganised in both the offencive and defencive zones.  We saw this in San Jose, so I was wondering if it's a trend.

Speaking of San Jose, often their scoring would inexplicably dry up for stretches under DeBoer.  How much of that is related to the defencive responsibilities the forwards have, the lack of ensemble play, and the seeming loss of structure in the offencive zone?  And how much of that is players coming back off of IR?

And is it just me, or is Lehner flat out jittery when either Pacioretty or Eichel is on the ice in the defencive zone?

DeBoer is a guy that somehow keeps finding new jobs.  Never fully understood why.

He definitely  takes the fun out of watching hockey.  And, as his best results w/ a new club seem to happen his 1st year, it seems he grows old on his players quickly, too.  

Wouldn't be at all surprising if he's the sacrificial lamb assuming Vegas can't both pass LA and stave off the 'Nucks.  (Which would highly increase the likelihood this year's pick is better than next year's pick.)

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Looking at the Sabres and Vegas we can see the failure of building around superstars. Vegas had that early jump with the expansion draft deals and had a solid working class or lunch bucket team with a good goalie and a good coach. Rather than stick with that and add talent little by little from the draft, inserting it into that culture, they got greedy and impatient and started moving in the "stars" and they lost their unity and their chemistry. 

Max has always been a little lazy and off and on again or when he feels like it. Jack is a diva. He's always relished the glory but never the work or the less glamourous stuff that leads to winning. Not a team guy. More likely to blame others around him than digging down himself. Other players see that attitude and start to say "okay hotshot, you do it". It leads to other laziness, quitting, individual rather than team play and so on. Lack of leadership and a poor locker room culture. 

Not all "stars" are like that, and we have some young guys now with better attitudes so hopefully we will stay the course and not swap it out for a quick fix with the wrong added players. Vegas? May they crash and burn.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Lehner is and will forever be my least favorite Sabre

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Ville Leino has entered the chat

How about Slava Kozlov in the Hasek trade to Detroit.  Talk about a player that didn't want to be here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1