Owen Power Wants to Be a Sabre.

Eleven

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I know we’re a decade+ removed from it but this franchise was once among the best in the league despite not winning any cups. Among the top four/five in all-time winning percentage prior to this stretch of stench.

I'm sure you are aware of it that nearly a generation of fans have not been exposed to quality and entertaining hockey. And that is sad. I'm not sure that group can be easily retrieved. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

We do have evidence that it’s Buffalo. This thread/his comments in the OP are evidence. Now that evidence could be an impermissible lie but I feel like it’s unlikely. The kid would probably love to stay close to home and go down as a first overall pick.

Nothing about him indicates he’ll be average. We get it, Guenther is all you want.

Everything indicates he will be average he won't be a super star he will be in a class with parayko's of the world .

57 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Everything indicates he will be average he won't be a super star he will be in a class with parayko's of the world .

Colton Parayko is not average but okay.

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm sure you are aware of it that nearly a generation of fans have not been exposed to quality and entertaining hockey. And that is sad. I'm not sure that group can be easily retrieved. 

Oh yea, for sure. I am lucky enough to be juuuust old enough for good hockey in Buffalo. Not old enough to remember the No Goal but old enough to remember just about everything after.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If we're going to read a bunch of hostility into some Jack Eichel comment, we can do the same, but with nice feelings, with Power.

That wasn’t sarcasm.  i meant what I posted.  Youthful enthusiasm is good here.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

We do have evidence that it’s Buffalo. This thread/his comments in the OP are evidence. Now that evidence could be an impermissible lie but I feel like it’s unlikely. The kid would probably love to stay close to home and go down as a first overall pick.

Nothing about him indicates he’ll be average. We get it, Guenther is all you want.

Put on your journalist hat.

15 hours ago, rjones71 said:

I was 18 once, full of pee and vinegar......said no to the YANKEES so I could serve my country in Vietnam. Let's hope Owen is smarter than I was.

Yes, thanks for your service, but it was the Yankees!   So, were you drafted by them?  Just saw something that the first MLB Draft was in 65.

I remember a high school classmate was drafted by the Pirates and also didn’t sign.

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

It shouldn't be a surprise that any highly rated prospect would prefer to be the top pick rather than a lower pick. The point that was made that interested me more is that Buffalo is a location that is close to where a lot of hockey players come from. If Buffalo can get its act together and function as a well run operation and become a serious franchise, Buffalo could become a preferred destination for a lot of players.

Ya, and the thing is it used to be just that. In the 1970s (and somewhat into the 80s) lots of Canadian players loved the idea of playing in Buffalo and being able to still live in Canada (St. Catherines was quite popular) and be near family. This is the way it should be. Toronto should suck and Buffalo should be good. It's a natural order that needs to be reinstalled. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

Colton Parayko is not average but okay.

Oh yea, for sure. I am lucky enough to be juuuust old enough for good hockey in Buffalo. Not old enough to remember the No Goal but old enough to remember just about everything after.

He's no superstar.

The first overall pick needs to be a super star not in the class of Parayko

Edited by Buffalonill

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, and the thing is it used to be just that. In the 1970s (and somewhat into the 80s) lots of Canadian players loved the idea of playing in Buffalo and being able to still live in Canada (St. Catherines was quite popular) and be near family. This is the way it should be. Toronto should suck and Buffalo should be good. It's a natural order that needs to be reinstalled. 

The best thing that could happen with Buffalo becoming a serious team is the emergence of a rabid rivalry between the two cities. Toronto has gotten on track while Buffalo has been stuck in the mud for half a generation. Currently, it's insulting to see Buffalo's home arena filled with Toronto fans. That doesn't happen with the contending Bills in their own stadium. 

This franchise needs to get back on track, and then a lot of positive things will flow from that. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I tgought i tead he was going to stay in college 

He will still be drafted.

The NHL system is different from the NBA, NFL, and MLB in that regard.

Every year many players, including high first round picks are drafted and return to play in college.  Many more are drafted and then start playing in college.  Many Sabres have played in college after being drafted.

Excuse my explanation if you are already familiar with all this and its something else tripping you up.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

He will still be drafted.

The NHL system is different from the NBA, NFL, and MLB in that regard.

Every year many players, including high first round picks are drafted and return to play in college.  Many more are drafted and then start playing in college.  Many Sabres have played in college after being drafted.

Excuse my explanation if you are already familiar with all this and its something else tripping you up.

To be honest, hearing that Eklund, Beniers, and Power will return to their teams instead of the NHL this upcoming year is really smart. Last year was a covid infused nightmare for these guys and this gives them a full year at a lower level to reset and get better. Regardless of who Buffalo drafts, in late March they could be added to the team for NHL seasoning before the season ends. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Besides the capitalization, I would quibble with the word Wants. I would be honored to accept a free trip to Hawaii. I don't want to go there though.

We're so desperate for approval.

Still, all in all it's a good and expected message from a potential top pick after an interview.

I was going to post this but thought it would be too nitpicky. Well done. 

19 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Don't want a defenseman first overall 

FTFY, as a rule 

I'd definitely be honored to get a good one there, though.

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

To be honest, hearing that Eklund, Beniers, and Power will return to their teams instead of the NHL this upcoming year is really smart. Last year was a covid infused nightmare for these guys and this gives them a full year at a lower level to reset and get better. Regardless of who Buffalo drafts, in late March they could be added to the team for NHL seasoning before the season ends. 

It's smart, but I'm not sure it's a positive development in the macro. Of course you'd hope if you are picking 1 you get an immediate NHL player. That not being the case, agree you gotta do what's best for their development

On 7/11/2021 at 6:34 AM, Eleven said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/owen-power-would-be-honored-to-be-drafted-by-buffalo-sabres/c-325628446

"Nice and close to home," the top-rated defenseman prospect told TSN on Friday. "I know they've got a rich history. It would be an honor to play for them and to get drafted by them."

Power grew up in Mississauga, Ontario, which is less than 90 miles from Buffalo. He interviewed with the Sabres for the first time Thursday.

"Yeah, I would love to be a part of it," the 18-year-old said.

I'm surprised that he said that. Granted, he could be saying that just to tickle our ears. Given his proximity to Toronto and the fact that they're not even drafting in the first round, it just doesn't sound right.

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

He’s like the new guy at work that is fresh and actually happy to be there.

Oof

8 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I'm surprised that he said that. Granted, he could be saying that just to tickle our ears. Given his proximity to Toronto and the fact that they're not even drafting in the first round, it just doesn't sound right.

Oof

?

On 7/12/2021 at 4:54 AM, Buffalonill said:

He's no superstar.

smh none of them are superstars... and nobody knows if any of them ever will be.

Beniers could very well be the next Holzinger.

Eklund could be Gustav Possler.

Power could be the greatest to ever play the position.

On 7/12/2021 at 7:54 AM, Buffalonill said:

He's no superstar.

I think you need to look at the 1OA picks in the last 20 years. Then tell us how many of those developed into your definition of a “super star”.

You probably won’t. But it would be an interesting exercise in the loose definition of “super star”.

IMO … 1OA don’t HAVE to be super stars. But it’s a nice bonus if they develop into one. 

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I think you need to look at the 1OA picks in the last 20 years. Then tell us how many of those developed into your definition of a “super star”.

You probably won’t. But it would be an interesting exercise in the loose definition of “super star”.

IMO … 1OA don’t HAVE to be super stars. But it’s a nice bonus if they develop into one. 

That's why they're picked first overall that's how it's supposed to be .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.