How long do you predict you will wait before deciding if Granato is a good or bad coach?

PASabreFan

How long do you predict you will wait before deciding if Granato is a good or bad coach?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you predict you will wait before deciding if Granato is a good or bad coach?

• One game
    • 20 games
    • 41 games
    • 82 games
    • 82 games+

There are unique challenges at every point of the regular season, such that I wouldn't want to make firm conclusions until we've traversed them all. And then I'd be comfortable with a hypothesis that would still need more testing. This is barring the existence of obvious evidence in either direction which is always possible if not likelyĀ 

• Like (+1) 1

Not surprised a thread like this popped up. Just surprised it popped up 24 hours after he was hired.

Ā 

I donā€™t have a fast hair trigger like some fans doā€¦Ā 

IF itā€™s determined that KA stocked the team with better goaltending, and equal to or better than ā€œtalentā€ as last season ā€¦ Iā€™ll give DG around 6Ā full months of games to have an educated non-knee jerk reaction to ā€œ DonĀ is a good or bad coachā€.Ā 
Ā 

IF itā€™s determined that KA did not stock the team wellā€¦ Then I would give DGĀ longer to make that determination.Ā 
Ā 

Hell, this upcoming seasonā€¦ Could be extremely rough for DG. Especially if Eichel is moved and ReinhartĀ is moved, and that pointĀ production isnā€™t replaced in the short term. Then I believe DG would be unfairly criticized for every loss.Ā 
Ā 

KA needs to give DG the tools to succeed. iā€™ll give DG quite a bit of slack if those tools are not there because KA couldnā€™t get it done as the GM.

Ā 

I think this thread is better servedĀ In late September when the roster is pretty much filled out. And we know what DG has to work with.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There are unique challenges at every point of the regular season, such that I wouldn't want to make firm conclusions until we've traversed them all. And then I'd be comfortable with a hypothesis that would still need more testing. This is barring the existence of obvious evidence in either direction which is always possible if not likelyĀ 

tom cruise i want the truth GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

Probably should have gone with "... before evaluating Granato as a coach."

I went with 20 games. I need to see what others saw last season.

That'll sort of be Phase 1 of the evaluation. Like, the first quiz of the semester. I wouldn't say based on those 20 games that he's a good or bad coach.

• Like (+1) 1

I've had visions of the future and have already made my decision. The good news is that I will only share my feelings on this matter in an "I told you so/familial connection plot twist" sort of way.

Beyond that, I try to judge coaches on a quarter-season basis. 20-game chunks are sufficient to evaluate how they're handling lineups and goalies, practices, "effort/compete" levels, line-matching opponents, and in-game adjustments, while still taking into account injuries and a goalie getting hot or cold.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Depends on the roster. Ā If he has a reasonable NHL roster to work with, 20 or 30 games. Ā If the Sabres are hitting the reset button again, longer.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually said 82+ games.Ā 
Ā 

Take away Sam,Ā Jack, Risto, and possibly McCabe and Linus. Ā Add in TBD. Ā If they start with their typicalĀ chronic losing streaks it will be hard forĀ any coach to look good. Ā Ā 

Edited by Pimlach

For me it's just going to be about one thing. How the team plays, and that includes their attitude, effort levels and how they do or do not stand up for each other. If they have that (and it's been missing for years) then he's done something right. After that it's just about progression and how fast they develop. If they keep moving upwards I'm okay with him. If they plateau or drop then he gets the next Kreuger award (although some of you might want to dub the award for worst coach the Rolston).

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh they have. This is just theater.

And I see you're already lining yourself up to criticize any critics of Granato if he doesn't get results. 1. Give him time. 2. The media sucks 3. The goalie had no chance. 4...

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

And I see you're already lining yourself up to criticize any critics of Granato if he doesn't get results. 1. Give him time. 2. The media sucks 3. The goalie had no chance. 4...

Are you accusing me of having an agenda, Pot?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.