Official Don Granato Named New Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Most, 1st time NHL HCs have one. We need some experience somewhere in this franchise.

Granato has 30 years of coaching experience. about 5-6 in the NHL and another few in the AHL. I would add an experienced assistant but it doesn't need to be a former head coach. 

1 minute ago, SabresVet said:

Any decent HC interviewee was interviewing KA to see what his plan was.  

DG had some results with young kids and that's nice.  But teams have more film on him and results don't always carry over from one season to another. 

Underwhelming hire, but not surprising. 

I think this is applicable to the NFL, and maybe NBA, but not really the NHL. Most/all NHL couches are/should be playing the same style of game

The one thing noticeable about Granato was in every two game series we saw:

Per 1 & part of 2, overwhelmed.

2nd half of Per 2 and Per 3, adjusting and playing better.

Then in Game 2 they tended to play with or better than their opponents for good stretches.

If we can make the playoffs with the guy, he should be great a mid-series adjustments. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Granato has 30 years of coaching experience. about 5-6 in the NHL and another few in the AHL. I would add an experienced assistant but it doesn't need to be a former head coach. 

I do wonder given the fact he interviewed twice and was in Pittsburgh for 3 years with Karmanos if Rick Tocchet would be a candidate? 

Maybe the most anticlimactic coaching hire in team history. It's neither thrilling nor disappointing, IMO, and I think the majority of fans probably thought it was coming to this. Like it or not, we have no choice but to accept it and hope that he can turn things around. Good luck, HCDG...you're going to need it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Hit by a car, beat cancer, on a ventilator first year here, yeah the guy has the resiliency to get through this.

Yep, taking a little crap from the media every now and then will seem like small potatoes to Donnie Meatballs....

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Any decent HC interviewee was interviewing KA to see what his plan was.  

DG had some results with young kids and that's nice.  But teams have more film on him and results don't always carry over from one season to another. 

Underwhelming hire, but not surprising. 

Yes, other coaches will watch the film on him and realize how awful the team he had was and be impressed he got anything out of them.  So if they hired a different coach would they have film on that coach too or is it just Granato?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.