Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT

WildCard

14 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Power is a better D prospect than Beniers is a F prospect.   

Any return for Eichel and/or Reinhart will include a top C coming back, so not really a need at that position.

Take the known commodity in Power, a guy with his size and skill set doesn't come around very often, they should jump at the chance to take him... he'll eat 25min a game, he's a Seth Jones type... could transform the back-end on this team, and the modern game is largely driven from the back-end.

He has a ton more hockey sense and transitional game than Jones.  Jones is a Risto type, Power is like neither of them

A few thoughts on this:

Trading Eichel and/or Reinhart is no reason to draft a centre 1st OA. Best player available is always the right call in that draft spot (all draft spots?). That aside, if we trade Eichel we are, almost certainly, getting back a top prospect centre. Heck, maybe Beniers falls to Anaheim and that allows them to include the pick or Zegras in an Eichel trade. 

Power will create a bit of a left side log jam with Dahlin, Samuelson, Bryson, Johnson and potentially re-signing McCabe. Maybe Johnson becomes a trade option. 

It’s early to draw conclusions about what next year’s team will look like. But, if they draft Power and he is signed and in Buffalo, it is hard to imagine it being anything but a rebuilding year. I’m excited about Dahlin and Joker and about our other young D-men, but that is a lot of inexperienced D on one team with there not currently being any guys I would really put in the “solid-vet” category (maybe McCabe?). 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This thing has to stop applying at some point, no? If we were to get first overall again next year and the top prospect was a LHD (just say) would you argue we take a LHD, again?! I think at some point logically you have to just stop, I think we might already be there 

At the least.you have the top guy. Only exception in my mind is you trade the pick or you have the flexibility to move othet assets. Defensemen of his calibre are in my opinion more valuable than a forward. Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

This thing has to stop applying at some point, no? If we were to get first overall again next year and the top prospect was a LHD (just say) would you argue we take a LHD, again?! I think at some point logically you have to just stop, I think we might already be there 

They are relying too much on Dahlin being able to seamlessly switch to a RHD, when they spent the last two months of the season trying to un ***** His Mind, seems like a risky proposition.

Comparing Powers to Beniers, would St Louis like to redo Their 2006 Draft and maybe take Toews instead of Johnson? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

Reading comments on the YouTube video of the lottery.  Quite a few people predicting the first overall pick pulls a Lindros.  I doubt that happens but it’s interesting to think how that plays out.

Odds are very high that the Sabres draft a frosh Wolverine in a couple of months.  The kid is going to claim he will play out his entire college eligibility to reenter the draft throwing away 2 peak earning years?  Really?  Doesn't sound like a credible threat.  

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

He is one creepy looking m'fer

Hmmm … I don’t think I do. Though I agree he shouldn’t be happy (overall) they are picking first. And I’ll safely assume he’s not. Who GM would be? Overall …

unless you are tanking on purpose. 😂

• nfreeman changed the title to Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT
14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

To be fair 31 and 32 OA are far from nhl prospects let alone ones we should be relying on.  They are nothing more then magic beans at this point. 

That's not true. 32 already played in the nhl

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, Power wouldn't be ready for too pairing usage for, what, 3 more seasons minimum?  It's not like Dahlin would have to be moved to the right side this coming season.  He can still grow into his NHL game & if he keeps developing like we hope AND Power belongs on the top pairing, it can work w/ him on the other side.

And, isn't playing in the NHL at 18 "uncommon" as is having some of the highest scoring of any teenage D-man also uncommon.  Heck, being the concensus #1 overall in the draft as a D-man seems fairly uncommon as well, though not quite as uncommon as it happened twice in the past 7 years.

Power is not consensus #1. 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They are relying too much on Dahlin being able to seamlessly switch to a RHD, when they spent the last two months of the season trying to un ***** His Mind, seems like a risky proposition.

Comparing Powers to Beniers, would St Louis like to redo Their 2006 Draft and maybe take Toews instead of Johnson? 

The plan absolutely shouldn't be to transfer Dahlin over to the right if that's what they need to justify this pick. Not saying they do, but that can't be the justification or the plan - adding more risk (the feasibility of Dahiln doing so) on top of the risk of the draft pick in itself, would be folly 

1 minute ago, Srw1525 said:

And just our luck. Get the #1 with no clear #1. Regardless who goes, even in the top 5, are still few years away from NHL ready. 

Nah, Power could play in the NHL next year.  He's playing top line minutes at the worlds now, Not the top professionals but still professionals and he's looking fine as an 18 year old playing there.

Just now, Turbo44 said:

Nah, Power could play in the NHL next year.  He's playing top line minutes at the worlds now, Not the top professionals but still professionals and he's looking fine as an 18 year old playing there.

Not sure I see any top picks this year in the NHL next year.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Anaheim primarily played Pronger & Niedermayer on separate pairings and only h a d to worry about not having a top D-man on the ice for a little over 10 minutes / game.  

The Sabres have NEVER had a TRUE #1 D-man for much more than the last month & playoffs in '06 when Tallinder just turned into a monster.

Would it really be that terrible to have 2 pairings anchored by a true #1?

(PS - as stated above, would prefer Beniers, but if the Sabres are keeping for the long haul all of Eivhel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, & Cozens C isn't a weakness for the foreseeable future as the top 3 C's will all be set via some combo from that pool.

And, can see benefits to having LHD & C be the strengths of the club.  Add G to that & you have somethingbthat can do damage come playoff time.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes he is among the NHL professional scouts.

just because random online twitter people have different opinions in their rankings does’t mean they hold more weight.

No he isn't. He is probably #1 for 6 out of 10, that's not consensus just because tsn says so. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.