Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT

WildCard

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Not sure I see any top picks this year in the NHL next year.

I agree.  Power could play in the NHL but I see him, Johnson and Benier each playing one more year at Michigan.  Hughes is the one that worries me - he could be the best of the draft but has a broken foot

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Odds are very high that the Sabres draft a frosh Wolverine in a couple of months.  The kid is going to claim he will play out his entire college eligibility to reenter the draft throwing away 2 peak earning years?  Really?  Doesn't sound like a credible threat.  

No I don’t think our pick pulls a Lindros but I’m bored so I entertain the thought.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's not true. 32 already played in the nhl

Power is not consensus #1. 

Never said he was.  There have been TWO concensus #1 overall picks that were D-men in the past 7 years.

Will spell it out for you.  Thorny had said it's uncommon for a top pairing D-man to swap sides & play his off-hand side in the NHL.  Pointed out that Dahlin isn't exactly "common" so, based on his usage in Junior, he very well could be that "uncommon" D-man at this level.

2 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Botterill wins the draft lottery and then trades O'Reilly.

Adams:  "Wait until they get a load of me"

Yep. Winning the lottery made it easier for Botterill to "tear it down to the studs", as Friedman said. We'll see what Adams does next

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Never said he was.  There have been TWO concensus #1 overall picks that were D-men in the past 7 years.

Will spell it out for you.  Thorny had said it's uncommon for a top pairing D-man to swap sides & play his off-hand side in the NHL.  Pointed out that Dahlin isn't exactly "common" so, based on his usage in Junior, he very well could be that "uncommon" D-man at this level.

Oh good, glad you can spell. You're talking about Ekblad and that was clearly a mistake. 

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Alright, let's transition Dahlin to RHD and hope that works out and draft Power and run things through our top D pair. Why not? 

A strategy as much as any I guess

Or...........

1- Trade Risto tomorrow 

2- Protect Dahlin, Jokiharju, Borgen in expansion 

3- Run heavy minute pairs of Dahlin-Borgen, Power-Jokiharju for the next several years.

4 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Botterill wins the draft lottery and then trades O'Reilly.

Adams:  "Wait until they get a load of me"

Quote should have been “Here Terry, hold my beer.”

• Like (+1) 1

Power is the answer for me and I don’t see that changing. He is as close to the consensus as there is in the draft (don’t try to dispute that Liger, it’s true). I don’t have an issue with him being a defensemen at all because this team hasn’t had a solid d core in a long time (it was laid out above by Taro).

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hearing about how he feels a little better about coming in last place doesn't sit well with me 

That’s kind of the idea of the lottery/reverse standings applied to the draft, though. I’m totally fine with some form of optimism occasionally.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Power is the answer for me and I don’t see that changing. He is as close to the consensus as there is in the draft (don’t try to dispute that Liger, it’s true). I don’t have an issue with him being a defensemen at all because this team hasn’t had a solid d core in a long time (it was laid out above by Taro).

That’s kind of the idea of the lottery/reverse standings applied to the draft, though. I’m totally fine with some form of optimism occasionally.

The idea of the reverse standings order is about deservedness 

It's not about teams feeling a little bit better about their poor output lol 

Adams was asked if this pick will make it more likely for him to go with a "youth" route, re:players on the roster. Again said he was energized by the youth and the number one thing they want is players who love the buffalo sabres and who want to be here 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Adams was asked if this pick will make it more likely for him to go with a "youth" route, re:players on the roster. Again said he was energized by the youth and the number one thing they want is players who love the buffalo sabres and who want to be here 

Hey Kev … What team GM wouldn’t want that? 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Every time he says that I want to slap him. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Every time he says that I want to slap him. 

I can't stand the guy, I'm sorry. I turned on Botts really quick, too. Hopefully way wrong on this one and some regression to the mean. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Having a strong D corps and good goaltending is the way I think we should go. Waiting around for elite superstar forwards hasn’t done us good. 

D-men take longer to develop generally than forwards. Even Reinhart had 42 points his first NHL season.

They should rip the band-aid and deal JE already

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The good news is Power is a good player. He's got some maturing to do in his game and it's happened this year. He's never gonna be pronger and he's not Dahlin but he could be a 35 or 40pt defender. 

Do they need to spend the Number One Overall Pick on that though?

Settling for Singles and Stand Up Doubles, when triples or swinging for the fences is needed, has done wonders for them so far 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Do they need to spend the Number One Overall Pick on that though?

Settling for Singles and Stand Up Doubles, when triples or swinging for the fences is needed, has done wonders for them so far 

Could we not deal the pick to a team in need of a young stud D prospect for an NHL ready young forward?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.