Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT

WildCard

The most sad part of this is when I entered the title, it auto-filled to an older lottery we were a part of. So, there's that.

Anyways, lottery is tonight. You all know the drill: hope for 1, get 3, and draft like it's 15. 

Edit: Mods can we please pin this?

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I am not often in sync with my fellow fans, but I am heartened that, this time around, there isn't fervor and excitement for a night like this. (Unless it's being discussed fervently and excitedly in a thread I haven't seen.)

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I am not often in sync with my fellow fans, but I am heartened that, this time around, there isn't fervor and excitement for a night like this. (Unless it's being discussed fervently and excitedly in a thread I haven't seen.)

If Connor Bedard was available there would be excitement but currently the first tier of this draft is 5 players deep. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

GM's are not going to trade down. They want to be able to pick a player not only at a certain skill level but also with other desired traits such as height, grit, motor. Sure we could say that Power, Clarke, and Hughes are the same but a GM will want his choice based on other traits. 

Fun illustration of how bad we've been (while I was looking at some draft charts)...   With the exception of Brett Murray (+1 in 2 GP, so a really, really small sample size), the last skater the Sabres drafted who has a career positive +/- is Joel Armia who is at +9 for his career. He was drafted ten years ago.

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'd listen to all offers to move down either for lower pick plus player or multiple picks.

Yes, but this is the NHL and conservative GMs. Unless there's a couple Sedins to try to get together, no one's really moving 1st round picks around. Now -- you move Eichel and you can get a 1st rounder. And of course the usual "this isn't the NFL draft" line so trading down to accumulate picks isn't really a thing.

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Fun illustration of how bad we've been (while I was looking at some draft charts)...   With the exception of Brett Murray (+1 in 2 GP, so a really, really small sample size), the last skater the Sabres drafted who has a career positive +/- is Joel Armia who is at +9 for his career. He was drafted ten years ago.

Yes, but this is the NHL and conservative GMs. Unless there's a couple Sedins to try to get together, no one's really moving 1st round picks around. Now -- you move Eichel and you can get a 1st rounder. And of course the usual "this isn't the NFL draft" line so trading down to accumulate picks isn't really a thing.

The math says trading down especially in the top 5 is a major mistake. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The math says trading down especially in the top 5 is a major mistake. 

It's that age-old going from the guaranteed 100 GP threshold to a total crapshoot.

That said, if there ever was a year where some GM might covet someone who is projected in the top 10, but doesn't pick until later (or like Arizona, lacks their 1st)... because of the lack of games played from COVID, maybe something silly happens this draft. There will be all sorts of reaches based on who teams liked from the previous 2019-2020 season, etc., but it could also be that a team drafts perfectly fine by just picking the next available player on the Central Scouting list.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Nope.  I think we're all sick of it and odds are we're going to lose anyways.....

18 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This isn't the nfl trade downs will not happen 

Just stay away from Beniers, power !!

So please get pick 3 

You dislike Beniers and Power? 

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's that age-old going from the guaranteed 100 GP threshold to a total crapshoot.

That said, if there ever was a year where some GM might covet someone who is projected in the top 10, but doesn't pick until later (or like Arizona, lacks their 1st)... because of the lack of games played from COVID, maybe something silly happens this draft. There will be all sorts of reaches based on who teams liked from the previous 2019-2020 season, etc., but it could also be that a team drafts perfectly fine by just picking the next available player on the Central Scouting list.

I don't love CSS rankings. 

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Nope.  I think we're all sick of it and odds are we're going to lose anyways.....

I'm sick of following the draft and thinking and talking about prospects, but the draft itself will be fun I suppose when we get there - I've always loved the actually draft weekend. I'd be excited for the lottery itself (but not the run up this time) if there were actually players that excited me in this class - but there just aren't. 

I just can't get to that sense of excited nervousness that usually accompanies the lottery - like I said the run-up has grown tiresome regardless but I would be excited for the actual lottery if there was a Bedard, like Liger said 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm sick of following the draft and thinking and talking about prospects, but the draft itself will be fun I suppose when we get there - I've always loved the actually draft weekend. I'd be excited for the lottery itself (but not the run up this time) if there were actually players that excited me in this class - but there just aren't. 

I just can't get to that sense of excited nervousness that usually accompanies the lottery - like I said the run-up has grown tiresome regardless but I would be excited for the actual lottery if there was a Bedard, like Liger said 

Looking forward to blocking 90% of Sabres Twitter when the Sabres don’t take this years version of Lundell, Rossi, Ehlers, or Caufield.  

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Looking forward to blocking 90% of Sabres Twitter when the Sabres don’t take this years version of Lundell, Rossi, Ehlers, or Caufield.  

I was tired of getting flamed for suggesting we trade the pick for a *gasp* good player right now, because Sabres twitter has made up it's mind we have to rebuild cause there's "nothing we can do" for a few years at least, so I'm not really engaging on the Sabres twitter front at the moment. I just can't do the rebuild convo anymore 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.