Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT

WildCard

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We're not drafting Power.

Matthew Beniers.

I doubt it.  I firmly believe Cozens>Beniers, so I don't see us drafting Beniers.  I like Eklund a little better than Beniers, though I know we're not taking Ehlund 1oa.  Hughes and Clarke could easily end up being better than Power.  Not an ideal year to be picking 1oa

4 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I don't have to bash any more than they have to be stupid.  They are welcome to choose to stop being idiots any time. When they choose to stop being idiots I will be happy to stop calling them idiots.

Why don’t you lay out your off-season plan so we can all learn what a brilliant off season should look like.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This team has spend 3 Picks all in the Top 32 over the past three drafts on LHD.  Move down one spot and make a deal with Seattle for the expansion draft 

This would actually be insane 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Trade currency?   It will sort itself out 

This myth hasn't died yet after we saw Botteriil's overloaded RHD wallow in misery?

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This team has spend 3 Picks all in the Top 32 over the past three drafts on LHD.  Move down one spot and make a deal with Seattle for the expansion draft 

Maybe we should start 15 threads about what would be your desired package for Dahlin.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Actually ya Power would be the 4th in 4 drafts

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Maybe you need to reevaluate your role as policeman of people emotions and reactions on the board.

Question. Why do you find something about winning a lottery something to use to complain about. Not policing just commenting on your comments. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? Draft the forward. There's 3 nhl lhd in the pipe or on the team. 

Oh yes, thanks to Taylor Hall. 

Why?  Because if they don't intentionally blow up their C depth, they can afford to draft best player and IF Eichel & Reinhart will be back then IF that best player IS a D-man then that is who they should take.

Dahlin can play the right side, he's done it for pretty much his entire career minus the last 3 years.

And being able to have 2 high performing D-men that can take up 50 of the 120 minutes / game the D are on the ice adds a ton of flexibility to what they can do on the back end.  Think Anaheim in '07 with the true flexibility or even Chicago with less flexibility in their recent glory years.

You aren't sold on Power and if he isn't the best player, he shouldn't be the pick.  But if the concensus is correct & he is the best player, he should be the pick.

Personally hoping for Beniers myself AND that they don't blow up the front end.

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

You take the best player regardless of position.  They should take Power, he is the number one prospect.

Kid is Canada’s number 1 dman at the WCs.  He went from no ice time to top minutes in a couple games under a proven coach in Gallant. The lineup isn’t strong but still an accomplishment for sure for a kid who hasn’t been drafted yet.

Tune in tomorrow, they play Russia.

If they are blowing this up then it is easier to get top end scoring prospects back rather then top shelf stud dmen prospects.

And NO, Power isn’t Myers because both are tall. Power has great hockey sense on the back end which Myers never had a lick of.

Tomorrow at 9! Booking it! 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Why?  Because if they don't intentionally blow up their C depth, they can afford to draft best player and IF Eichel & Reinhart will be back then IF that best player IS a D-man then that is who they should take.

Dahlin can play the right side, he's done it for pretty much his entire career minus the last 3 years.

And being able to have 2 high performing D-men that can take up 50 of the 120 minutes / game the D are on the ice adds a ton of flexibility to what they can do on the back end.  Think Anaheim in '07 with the true flexibility or even Chicago with less flexibility in their recent glory years.

You aren't sold on Power and if he isn't the best player, he shouldn't be the pick.  But if the concensus is correct & he is the best player, he should be the pick.

Personally hoping for Beniers myself AND that they don't blow up the front end.

He's never done it in the NHL, and it's very uncommon particularly on on a top pair, while possible, until he shows he can do it I wouldn't expect it likely. It's likely it wouldn't be a maximized Dahlin at any rate. Just not a fan of it at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Power is a better D prospect than Beniers is a F prospect.   

Any return for Eichel and/or Reinhart will include a top C coming back, so not really a need at that position.

Take the known commodity in Power, a guy with his size and skill set doesn't come around very often, they should jump at the chance to take him... he'll eat 25min a game, he's a Seth Jones type... could transform the back-end on this team, and the modern game is largely driven from the back-end.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Radar said:

Question. Why do you find something about winning a lottery something to use to complain about. Not policing just commenting on your comments. 

It's a victory, but it's a pyrrhic victory.  We won this battle, but the cost was another bad season, with guys we were excited about drafting 5 years ago now on the trading block.

A team that continually competes in the draft lottery isn't making progress.  If the Sabres haven't crossed that threshold, they're pretty darn close.

Anyway, still doesn't mean we're not excited about Powers or Benier (see what I did there? 😉)

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Any return for Eichel and/or Reinhart will include a top C coming back, so not really a need at that position.

Take the known commodity in Power, a guy with his size and skill set doesn't come around very often, they should jump at the chance to take him... he'll eat 25min a game, he's a Seth Jones type... could transform the back-end on this team, and the modern game is largely driven from the back-end.

This is all really helpful, now I definitely know I don't want him 

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We will see how it goes - this number 1 pick is great.  

And if Eichel gets traded to Anaheim or Samson to columbus we can still add Forward talent.

If we trade Eichel and Sam we're in trouble, personally I want both here unless one of them brings two top 6 NHL forwards. Not prospects but bonafide NHL talent.

Edited by The Jokeman

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Why do you always make sense ? 
let me be happy about Power for at least an hour 

Literally posted this today and have said repeatedly. 

Pick 1, 31, 32 all lhd in the last 3 drafts and were talking adding another 1st overall to that. 

Draft Beniers so when you do make the playoffs you have a puckhounding transition machine. 

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Beniers is an "f" prospect... lol no

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

He's never done it in the NHL, and it's very uncommon particularly on on a top pair, while possible, until he shows he can do it I wouldn't expect it likely. It's likely it wouldn't be a maximized Dahlin at any rate. Just not a fan of it at this point. 

Well, Power wouldn't be ready for too pairing usage for, what, 3 more seasons minimum?  It's not like Dahlin would have to be moved to the right side this coming season.  He can still grow into his NHL game & if he keeps developing like we hope AND Power belongs on the top pairing, it can work w/ him on the other side.

And, isn't playing in the NHL at 18 "uncommon" as is having some of the highest scoring of any teenage D-man also uncommon.  Heck, being the concensus #1 overall in the draft as a D-man seems fairly uncommon as well, though not quite as uncommon as it happened twice in the past 7 years.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Forwards have *much* stronger impacts driving the "modern" game than D men, FYI

No doubt, but D men have a much greater impact at controlling and slowing the game, which in turn allows forwards to have a much greater impact in driving the game. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Pick 1, 31, 32 all lhd in the last 3 drafts and were talking adding another 1st overall to that. 

Draft Beniers so when you do make the playoffs you have a puckhounding transition machine. 

F means forward is this instance. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, Power wouldn't be ready for too pairing usage for, what, 3 more seasons minimum?  It's not like Dahlin would have to be moved to the right side this coming season.  He can still grow into his NHL game & if he keeps developing like we hope AND Power belongs on the top pairing, it can work w/ him on the other side.

And, isn't playing in the NHL at 18 "uncommon" as is having some of the highest scoring of any teenage D-man also uncommon.  Heck, being the concensus #1 overall in the draft as a D-man seems fairly uncommon as well, though not quite as uncommon as it happened twice in the past 7 years.

Alright, let's transition Dahlin to RHD and hope that works out and draft Power and run things through our top D pair. Why not? 

A strategy as much as any I guess

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To be fair 31 and 32 OA are far from nhl prospects let alone ones we should be relying on.  They are nothing more then magic beans at this point. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Still tend to think with the #1 pick you take the consensus #1 player regardless of position. We've picked for position before recently and that pick was shortly moved out.

This thing has to stop applying at some point, no? If we were to get first overall again next year and the top prospect was a LHD (just say) would you argue we take a LHD, again?! I think at some point logically you have to just stop, I think we might already be there 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.