2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

If you're hoping to poach from these teams, I took a quick peak at their contracts.

Colorado UFAs: Gabriel Landeskog (not going to happen but it still tightens my jeans), Brandon Saad, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Carl Soderberg, Patrick Nemeth, Philip Grubauer

Colorado RFAs: Tyson Jost, Connor Timmins, Cale Makar

Vegas UFAs: Tomas Nosek, Mattias Janmark, Alec Martinez (no RFAs of note)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If you're hoping to poach from these teams, I took a quick peak at their contracts.

Colorado UFAs: Gabriel Landeskog (not going to happen but it still tightens my jeans), Brandon Saad, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Carl Soderberg, Patrick Nemeth, Philip Grubauer

Colorado RFAs: Tyson Jost, Connor Timmins, Cale Makar

Vegas UFAs: Tomas Nosek, Mattias Janmark, Alec Martinez (no RFAs of note)

Saad and or Janmark would be nice. I don't think their current teams can afford to keep them. Gimme Goodrow and or Coleman from TB too while I'm at it. 

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It’s a shame I wanted a Colorado vs Tampa finals. That would of been fun. 

Me too

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Colorado looked unstoppable the first 2 games, they've fallen quite far. They played well tonight too. Their confidence has to be a bit shaken. 

They've still looked damn good. I think they're just playing an equally good team and this is what happens sometimes. Games become coin flips and the team that takes advantage of their opportunities wins.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They've still looked damn good. I think they're just playing an equally good team and this is what happens sometimes. Games become coin flips and the team that takes advantage of their opportunities wins.

I don't think I've seen a team take turnovers and cash them in the Vegas has been doing, very surgical. 

Meanwhile, we're here having mid-season practices on how to complete a basic pass. 

19 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I don't think I've seen a team take turnovers and cash them in the Vegas has been doing, very surgical. 

Meanwhile, we're here having mid-season practices on how to complete a basic pass. 

Nobody capitalizes on other people's mistakes like Vegas (not just the team).

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup. As they often do. Once again, this is the model we should be following. Not what we're doing so far. 

Yes, and No. You need high skill and speed to win during the regular season whereas playoff hockey requires more attention to dirty goals and defensive play. Both work in the opposite situation but are far less effective generally. 

To win a Stanley Cup or at least advance in the playoffs you need:

- Both high skill and depth for skaters 

- A goalie who can step up and generally handles high pressure very well

- Full buy in to the Playoff System being used

- Star players either need to contribute with points heavily or play suffocating defense/check/ etc when unable to put up points.

- A few depth vets that can help steer the ship and to be honest its rather paradoxical. As a rule of thumb, any vet worth anything, still seem to de-age about 10 years when you get to the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Vegas, NY, MTL, … these grinder teams are crushing talent this year …

I'm not convinced this is accurate. New York has a lot of finesse in their game and is beating one of the ultimate "grinder" teams right now. Vegas, too. Tampa Bay is flying through everybody with speed and an incredible powerplay.

16 hours ago, Hoss said:

They just walked through a terrible division. I’d be surprised if they even sort of compete with the winner of Colorado/Vegas

No one thought they would beat the Leaves.  No one thought they would beat the Jets.

Colorado and Vegas are both a lot better than the Leaves and Jets, but I will not give up on the Habs.  This seems to be a special year, like in '93.

2 main reason they have a reasonably good chance are Price and Weber.  The supporting cast is playing great playoff hockey.  And their coach has them prepared very well and is an excellent coach.  He coached the Mooseheads to the Memorial Cup in 2013.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

No one thought they would beat the Leaves.  No one thought they would beat the Jets.

Colorado and Vegas are both a lot better than the Leaves and Jets, but I will not give up on the Habs.  This seems to be a special year, like in '93.

2 main reason they have a reasonably good chance are Price and Weber.  The supporting cast is playing great playoff hockey.  And their coach has them prepared very well and is an excellent coach.  He coached the Mooseheads to the Memorial Cup in 2013.

The Leafs have their flaws and haven't made it out of the 1st in years. The Jets were average and lost their best player by a mile. 

Colorado and LV are completely different beasts.

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The Leafs have their flaws and haven't made it out of the 1st in years. The Jets were average and lost their best player by a mile. 

Colorado and LV are completely different beasts.

The Leaves have flaws and are terrible in the playoff.  Jets are not a great team.

Neither of your points really changes mine and no one really thought that Montreal had much chance to beat either.

I agree that Colorado and Vegas are great teams, but I still give Montreal a good chance to beat either and I believe they will.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
that was my 17,001 post ... I was hoping for more a more goodly contribution

12 hours ago, Zamboni said:

It’s a shame one of these teams will have to lose the series. I would enjoy both of these teams in the finals.

It's why it is dumb to force teams to go through their divisions (or even conferences) first & then conference, and then have the Prince of Wales winner take on the Campbell winner in a battle for the ultimate prize.

Have 2 conferences each w/ 2 divisions.  Eight teams in each & 4 squads get in the show.  1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 in each.  After that, of the remaining teams, the 1's play the 2's from the other division in their own conference.  Reseed for the Semis and 1 crosses over to play the other 2 seed & the Finals match the 2 teams that won 12 games.

Yes, travel typically gets slightly increased & it is tougher to run a hockey playoff bracket pool.  But, if the 2 best teams are in the same division or even the same conference, provided they were actually getting the job done in the RS, then they WILL meet in the Finals rather than the 2nd or 3rd round.

How cool would Buffalo Moe-ray-all be in the Finals?  Or the battle of Alberta or the LI Express series to take home Lord Stanley's Chalice?  Or, the 2 best non-LTIR circumventing squads meeting in the Finals rather than the 2nd round?

Who knows, maybe knowing they'd get the toughest road to the finals of anyone by stretching the rules, the Bolts might not have cheated and rather used Kucherov in the regular season to avoid a 3rd place divisional finish?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Vegas, NY, MTL, … these grinder teams are crushing talent this year …

Vegas has a ton of talent. They are just balanced. Same with NYI really. 

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

- - - 

What people think CROSBY sounds like ^ ^ ^

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/8/2021 at 12:29 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Lindy used to be a great whiner about refs. Did you say this back then?  I'm going to guess no. 

Actually, I didn't like it from Lindy, either. So your guess was wrong....It's OK you don't know me

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.