2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

First Chara, now Krejci. Next Bergeron. Bruins are about to fall apart. 

Yep. Do they have the pipeline to supplement the aging team? So far the new young defensemen have been ok and Pastrnak came around at the perfect time for them a few years ago but who's next? 

I ask because I don't know. Anyone?

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Goodnight, Boston. I hope Krejci leaves in free agency. Have always liked him and would like to see them lose a glue player like that.

Krejci and some of the other Bruins showing their age a little in this one. Seemed worn out. They might finally be a little over the hill with this core. 

Ultimately I think this one came down to 2 things. Rask wasn't great, he was just okay and not himself (in his prime) while Varlamov was excellent. The other is the injuries to Carlo and Miller (and maybe also Zboril) led to the Bruins D wearing down, and they are built around the D. That's half the D that started the season. 

Islanders lesson for us. They lost their big star Tavares and got sweet nuthin' for him but hired a good coach, got a good goalie and built a solid team structure around what they had. So we will get more than nuthin' for Eichel.............you see where I'm going there...........

Tampa will beat them though, but still, good run. 

Hall was trying, but he failed and dried up against the the checking. Wonder if he will get signed there or not? This round might make the Bruins think twice. 

and really, we all know the main reason Bruins lost was the Lazar injury 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Norcal said:

Yep. Do they have the pipeline to supplement the aging team? So far the new young defensemen have been ok and Pastrnak came around at the perfect time for them a few years ago but who's next? 

Andres Bjork?? Oh wait......

I actually haven't heard much about any young talent they might have. They could re-sign turnover Taylor?

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I don't think so. They're good in goal. Swayman seemed pretty good when he filed in earlier in the year and the young D is pretty strong but their forwards are all like Kuhlman. 3rd or 4th line types with limited offensive skills. No big scorers or offensive guys coming that I can think of. But I don't follow them that closely. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LabattBlue said:

The Bruins could not overcome the stank that Hall brings with him everywhere he goes. 

He really turned it up against the Isles. I mean that empty netter in game 1 and then that 1 assist really put Boston over the top. 

What a worthless POS he is.

Back in the regular season when the Isles were dominating us, I asked the question  “has Barzal caught up to Eichel?” and the responses were resoundingly no, or not yet. 

Ok, statistically he hasn’t caught him, but I’ll ask again.  The Barzal I see is more composed, more clutch, and is playing at a high level.  With Anders Lee out Barzal is doing more to lead.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think so. They're good in goal. Swayman seemed pretty good when he filed in earlier in the year and the young D is pretty strong but their forwards are all like Kuhlman. 3rd or 4th line types with limited offensive skills. No big scorers or offensive guys coming that I can think of. But I don't follow them that closely. 

That's right. Their goaltending depth is really good. I think their fourth guy came in and shut the Sabres out in his first game or something? That's not saying much but still. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Back in the regular season when the Isles were dominating us, I asked the question  “has Barzal caught up to Eichel?” and the responses were resoundingly no, or not yet. 

Ok, statistically he hasn’t caught him, but I’ll ask again.  The Barzal I see is more composed, more clutch, and is playing at a high level.  With Anders Lee out Barzal is doing more to lead.  

he did seem to come alive in this series. The Palmeri add really helped them and I thought Nelson really stepped up after Anders Lee went down. Pageau of course, true playoff performer. They've had some smart pick ups last few years. Still don't think they stand a chance against the Tampa Bay Cheaters though. 

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

That's right. Their goaltending depth is really good. I think their fourth guy came in and shut the Sabres out in his first game or something? That's not saying much but still. 

Swayman seemed to come out of nowhere. It would be like if Portillo suddenly became our #1 next year.   

• Like (+1) 1

I could really give a rats fat ass who wins the Cup now, just as long as Toronto, Pitt and Boston are out. I'm pulling for Vegas first, Colorado second. I know people don't like how Vegas was built as an expansion team, but I love how they've been very competitive since then. The Pegula's should take notice. What Vegas has done just magnifies how stupid the Pegula's are as hockey people.

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

he did seem to come alive in this series. The Palmeri add really helped them and I thought Nelson really stepped up after Anders Lee went down. Pageau of course, true playoff performer. They've had some smart pick ups last few years. Still don't think they stand a chance against the Tampa Bay Cheaters though. 

I think the Isles can win.  They have the goaltending and the clutch play of very hard workers like Cizikas, Bailey, Clutterbuck, Palmieri, on more. They are a playoff team. 

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I remember you getting roasted for that comment. Barzal would also be a better leader than Jack IMO. Even when he was struggling earlier in the playoffs, he never got down on himself or the team. He's a damn good player.

Jack's way better. Islanders probably could probably make it this far without Barzal - now think of what we've been asking Jack to do, the roster he's had around him. Now Barzal is a "better leader"....

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Swayman seemed to come out of nowhere. It would be like if Portillo suddenly became our #1 next year.   

I certainly never heard of him before this year. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He played really well. If Portillo could do that I'd be thrilled.

I'll take a great year as the starter for Michigan in a back to regular cawlidge hockey season first though. And maybe a frozen four championship. That would be nice. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Claude Balls said:

I remember you getting roasted for that comment. Barzal would also be a better leader than Jack IMO. Even when he was struggling earlier in the playoffs, he never got down on himself or the team. He's a damn good player.

I think our Sabrespace brethren were reasonable with responses.  

There were a few games in this series that I thought Barzal carried them, and he is cool about it too.  He is going to get better.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.