Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Everyone seems to have their breaking point with Star Wars

The MCU really raised the bar for a connected Universe in the same way LOTR raised the bar on trilogies. Star Wars failed at both in the their last 2 trilogy efforts. The prequels are a mess of exposition, bad acting, and boring story lines. The ending trilogy had some moments but there were too many hands in the cookie jar and they wrote 3 movies instead of writing 1 trilogy. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The MCU really raised the bar for a connected Universe in the same way LOTR raised the bar on trilogies. Star Wars failed at both in the their last 2 trilogy efforts. The prequels are a mess of exposition, bad acting, and boring story lines. The ending trilogy had some moments but their were too many hands in the cookie jar and they wrote 3 movies instead of writing 1 trilogy. 

Prob be my last post on this in this thread as I know we are getting off topic - 

I agree on LOTR definitely and Star Wars to an extent - but part of the reason LOTR was so successful is that it *wasn't* a "connected universe", at all, (edit: just realized you didn't call it that) and still isn't to this day: it's just a serial movie series. A cohesive vision, Peter and Co. set out to tell a story and told it. The biggest failing with SW nowadays IMO is that it's not so much a series and a story (what it started out as) but more so, it's a brand. It's branding they hand out to a multitude of people making a multitude of products across the wide range of mutli-media. It's a buffet - you take what you like and leave the rest. MCU to this point, and to your point, has actually pulled off the "connected universe" (and I believe they are the true originators in this), and now it's sort of resulted in the masses attempting to copy it. 

Myself, I'm not much a fan of these worlds (MCU an exception, though lately it's becoming a bit much). I like the cohesive story: HP, LOTR, SW 1-6 (as much as the first two prequels have their faults). Star Wars isn't a movie series anymore, it's simply branding, and there is no continuity - characters are brought back willy-nilly, to the detriment of the established story (see: Palpatine in TROS (cardinal sin) and for the sole purpose of fan-service (Luke in Mando). It all comes down to opinion, but they've kinda lost me. 

Edited by Thorny

On 5/25/2021 at 3:33 PM, PASabreFan said:

Coming this summer on SabreSpace, a classic re-airing of The Trial of Terry Pegula*.

(Spoiler alert: he's found guilty of meddling this time, too.)

*Due to unfortunate circumstances*, the role of Terry Pegula this time will be played by PromoTheRobot.

*Woody cannot be located.

Watch for it following Ken Burns' 11-part series, Tank.

I'm on a yacht in Boca Raton, we had to cut wifi to be more lean and efficient. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Nice try ...

I think Sullivan will get a look once he is inevitable catipulted out of Pittsburgh.

If he comes, I want him to bring Sid with him.

I'm ambivalent about the Sid option. Sure, he has a wealth of experience; but he's one of those players you either love or hate without the reputation of being a bush league player like Matt Cooke or Jarkko Ruutu.

As for coaches, bear with me on a pipedream. If either Herb Brooks or Viktor Tikhonov were still alive, would you want either one of them as a coach?

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Nice try ...

I think Sullivan will get a look once he is inevitable catipulted out of Pittsburgh.

If he comes, I want him to bring Sid with him.

What do you mean? Nice try.

I was honestly trying to recall the interviews that have been reported. Nothing more. I agree if Sullivan gets the boot, KA should interview him.

I find it interesting that Mike Babcock is back working on the NHL broadcasts and not exiled to western Canada or where ever he was coaching in some league thats not the NHL. Everyone seems to get a second chance in the league if they want it.

Will he be hired in the NHL again soon? 

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

I'm ambivalent about the Sid option. Sure, he has a wealth of experience; but he's one of those players you either love or hate without the reputation of being a bush league player like Matt Cooke or Jarkko Ruutu.

As for coaches, bear with me on a pipedream. If either Herb Brooks or Viktor Tikhonov were still alive, would you want either one of them as a coach?

I just want a former Moosehead on the Sabres, if not that than at least a fellow NSer.  Sid is still the top player in the league, IMO, based largely on his playoff pedigree at this point.  My pipedream would be to some how trade for MacKinnon ... 2 birds with 1 stone thing ... former Moosehead star and from NS too.  Marchand played for the Mooseheads and is from NS, but not interested in any of the dastardly Bruins.

As for your pipedream ... I would take Viktor, but probably not Brooks.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

What do you mean? Nice try.

I was honestly trying to recall the interviews that have been reported. Nothing more. I agree if Sullivan gets the boot, KA should interview him.

Nice try to get us back on track and off the Star Wars train.

It seems to have worked out well.  Good job!!

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/20/2021 at 9:58 PM, SwampD said:

I don’t hate them either. I hate the fact that they have overseen the worst decade in the history of this franchise, maybe any franchise in the history of the NHL, ever. Nice job.

I guess I’m happy as long as they can keep the lifestyle they are accustom to. They obviously know stuff we don’t.

I’m ***** pissed.

Sometimes, it's a crap shot, as in, getting lucky when they roll the bones. Say what you will, but I thought this article provided valuable insight.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/how-have-the-pegulas-gotten-things-right-with-the-bills-but-so-so-wrong-with/article_b8194e40-b8ef-11eb-8c38-77a618d29880.html&ved=2ahUKEwiilJSQy-rwAhVKGVkFHT8BBoMQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1WmGO7YeRvEfI9pUxvXV8T 

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I just want a former Moosehead on the Sabres, if not that than at least a fellow NSer.  Sid is still the top player in the league, IMO, based largely on his playoff pedigree at this point.  My pipedream would be to some how trade for MacKinnon ... 2 birds with 1 stone thing ... former Moosehead star and from NS too.  Marchand played for the Mooseheads and is from NS, but not interested in any of the dastardly Bruins.

As for your pipedream ... I would take Viktor, but probably not Brooks.

It's a toss up for me. Brooks had to get his men ready for an Olympic tournament in less than 9 months (give or take), whereas Tikhonov already had a highly experienced squad to work with that had a very intimidating reputation.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The MCU really raised the bar for a connected Universe in the same way LOTR raised the bar on trilogies. Star Wars failed at both in the their last 2 trilogy efforts. The prequels are a mess of exposition, bad acting, and boring story lines. The ending trilogy had some moments but there were too many hands in the cookie jar and they wrote 3 movies instead of writing 1 trilogy. 

JJ Abrams admitted in an interview published yesterday that not having a coordinated plan for the trilogy was a huge mistake. The Original Trilogy ESB and ROTJ were better Movies as they were written by Lawrence Kasdan, along with The Force Awakens and The Solo Movie, but an ANH was such a ground breaking movie it didn’t matter as much. Lucas admitted that much of the dialogue of prequels was centered around the words they fight. Although Dave Filoni’s Explanation of the Duel of the Fates was phenomenal. 

The Last Jedi as a stand-alone film would have been very good however as a part of the trilogy not so much.  When Mark Hamill tells Rian Johnson that He fundamentally disagrees with every decision that Johnson made for His story arc with Luke Skywalker’s Character, maybe you should rethink your script.  And yes it and was extremely difficult to satisfy Star Wars Purists but look at What Filoni and Faureavu were able to accomplish in the last five minutes of the Mandalorian Season Finale.

The Last Skywalker appeared to have been written by a bunch of 8 year olds going and then this happened.

Interestingly George Lucas’s Idea for 7,8,9 was a trilogy was Darth Maul as the Sith Lord with a female apprentice. 

Moving forward having Dave Filoni as Executive Creator Director for LucasFilm should help with content. 

We now return to Your Regularly Scheduled Coaching Search.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

JJ Abrams admitted in an interview published yesterday that not having a coordinated plan for the trilogy was a huge mistake. The Original Trilogy ESB and ROTJ were better Movies as they were written by Lawrence Kasdan, along with The Force Awakens and The Solo Movie, but an ANH was such a ground breaking movie it didn’t matter as much. Lucas admitted that much of the dialogue of prequels was centered around the words they fight. Although Dave Filoni’s Explanation of the Duel of the Fates was phenomenal. 

The Last Jedi as a stand-alone film would have been very good however as a part of the trilogy not so much.  When Mark Hamill tells Rian Johnson that He fundamentally disagrees with every decision that Johnson made for His story arc with Luke Skywalker’s Character, maybe you should rethink your script.  And yes it and was extremely difficult to satisfy Star Wars Purists but look at What Filoni and Faureavu were able to accomplish in the last five minutes of the Mandalorian Season Finale.

The Last Skywalker appeared to have been written by a bunch of 8 year olds going and then this happened.

Interestingly George Lucas’s Idea for 7,8,9 was a trilogy was Darth Maul as the Sith Lord with a female apprentice. 

Moving forward having Dave Filoni as Executive Creator Director for LucasFilm should help with content. 

We now return to Your Regularly Scheduled Coaching Search.

fan service. 

I agree on Rise and most of the rest, but I maintain with regards to TLJ, beyond being a good standalone could have been a fine direction for the story had they stuck to it. At least it had a story to tell. It felt true to the characters to me and I love the OT. 

Edited by Thorny

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I only mention Jar Jar because I don't recall which sequel it was in. But the writing was so god-awful. I mean total amateur hour. 

I have written and read better fan-fiction.  Good amateurs could have written better stories.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Bob Hartley is a Neanderthal.Hope they stay far away.

Can’t see Babcock ever working for the Pegula’s after jilting them on the altar last time.

I'm not advocating for Hartley or really anyone right now. Just hearing his name bandied about because of the performance of Latvia so far in the Worlds.

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not to mention that Hartley's only real success was with one of the most stacked teams ever.

As for Babcock. He just showed up on set one day. Last I heard he was being shunned in league circles and shut out of the coaching searches. 

As long as we are off topic, I enjoyed all the SW movies.  Hard to get angry about a movie that entertains.  To me...they all accomplished that.  

Then again, Im not a SW fanboy, so maybe that is why I can’t get worked up about this or that not being right in any of the 3 trilogies.  

• Like (+1) 2

This could all be happening. Rutherford announces he is ready to come back. Sullivan might be fired.

Rutherford POHO. Karmanos GM. Sullivan HC. Eichel, Reinhart, Risto for Crosby, Malkin, Letang.

Terry’s dream of the Buffalo Penguins finally comes to fruition in 2021!,😜😂

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Haha (+1) 1

8. Famous last words, but I don’t think the Sabres are in any hurry to conclude their coaching search. In addition to Don Granato (who I thought was excellent in his end-of-season media availability), my sense is their circle includes Bruce Boudreau, Greg Carvel of NCAA champion UMass, Penn State’s Guy Gadowsky, Providence’s Nate Leaman and Tocchet, among others.

From 31 Thoughts. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.