Jump to content

How good or bad is this team really?


Who are the real Sabres?  

68 members have voted

  1. 1. Who are the real Sabres?

    • A bad team that needs core players moved and significant additions in order to compete for the playoffs next year
    • An emerging team that can compete for the playoffs next year with good goaltending, tweaks and the right coach


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Weave said:

My gut says they are still a bad team and it's our lowered standards that are saying otherwise.

I'd go we're a middle of the road team. With goaltending upgrade and development of our younger guys......a good team.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably a fringe playoff team, like we were last season. But since last season we've added or will add quality in Middlestat, Tage, Asplund, Cozens, Quinn, top 3 pick this season... if we can get goaltending straightened out, could be a competitive team next season.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's potentially a developing team but it still has a long way to go.

Consider that Bjork, a guy who was critiqued in Boston for his defensive play and played his way out of the line up is one of our best defensive forwards. We have some solid potential now, and a better effort level, but a lot of things would have to go right for the playoffs to be a reality and a lot of the guys trending up would have to get even better.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Probably a fringe playoff team, like we were last season. But since last season we've added or will add quality in Middlestat, Tage, Asplund, Cozens, Quinn, top 3 pick this season... if we can get goaltending straightened out, could be a competitive team next season.

We weren't really a fringe playoff team last year, agree on GT

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We weren't really a fringe playoff team last year, agree on GT

we missed the playoffs by 3 points and we had 2 games in hand over Montreal , who beat us for the final spot, when the season ended.  That's pretty darn close to fringe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

we missed the playoffs by 3 points and we had 2 games in hand over Montreal , who beat us for the final spot, when the season ended.  That's pretty darn close to fringe.

I know, but the implied connotation of "fringe playoff team" is ~16-20 in the league. High 80s low 90s over 82 games. We were a fringe "top 24" team - doesn't really mean anything in a normal year

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Didn't they also acquire another goalie after they got him? I bet he just doesn't see a lot of shots for them. They are a very good team. 

If Pittsburgh had him in net yesterday instead of Jarry, we would of won 

 

He got a shutout and check out his save percentage. Yes, Colorado is a very good team but they saw something in Johansson they liked and they are using him. People on this blog wanted him on the first bus out of this city. Just goes to show you what a well coached and decent organisation can do for someone. I don't think this guy is a bust and I think Linus is an NHL starting goaltender. He will test free agency as is his right and I can't blame him. Tokarski, by the way, is an excellent back up goaltender and can give you quality starts as well. Saw him play for the Hamilton Bulldogs several times and he is very good. Has won a couple of championships in his minor league career as well. I would sign him as the back up and if we lose Linus, then we will definitely need a number 1.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Radar said:

Disagree but respect your opinion.

Well if they keep the core together, make minor changes, and become a playoff team in 21-22, I will be first in line to be fitted for my dunce cap. 😂

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Well if they keep the core together, make minor changes, and become a playoff team in 21-22, I will be first in line to be fitted for my dunce cap. 😂

We're all on watch!

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good team.  Bad teams don’t beat playoff bound Pitt 4-2 when Pitt is desperate for points snd we have our 3rd string goalie in net.

Yes they can. Not saying we are bad, but I don't think we are "good" yet, and the tank Sabres beat excellent teams while playing with worse rosters than this on occasion.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say we are an ok team; a fringe playoff team effectively.

Had Tokarski played like this, Krueger been fired before the losing streak, and we had our roster mostly healthy (specifically Eichel and Ullmark) then I think we'd be neck and neck with the whole Boston/NYR area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that these last ten games have gone so well. Without Krueger, Staal, Hutton, Montour, Hall and Eichel. Maybe all those guys are a drag on the team, despite the skill.

Edited by Kong
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eman said:

He got a shutout and check out his save percentage. Yes, Colorado is a very good team but they saw something in Johansson they liked and they are using him. People on this blog wanted him on the first bus out of this city. Just goes to show you what a well coached and decent organisation can do for someone. I don't think this guy is a bust and I think Linus is an NHL starting goaltender. He will test free agency as is his right and I can't blame him. Tokarski, by the way, is an excellent back up goaltender and can give you quality starts as well. Saw him play for the Hamilton Bulldogs several times and he is very good. Has won a couple of championships in his minor league career as well. I would sign him as the back up and if we lose Linus, then we will definitely need a number 1.

What would you offer Linus as a contract right now? I was all set to throw money at him for more than a few years, but not now. His injury history worries me. 

Any opinion on this  Jesper Wallstedt who is going to be drafted this year? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yes they can. Not saying we are bad, but I don't think we are "good" yet, and the tank Sabres beat excellent teams while playing with worse rosters than this on occasion.

This team is 5-3-2 in it’s last 10.  That’s a 98 pt pace over 82 games.  They are doing it without their top center (injured), a top 6 LW (Hall), their best defensive D (McCabe) and now without their top 2 goalies (injured).  They moved their top RW to center are featuring 5 players who started the year on the taxi squad or in the minors (Mitts, Asplund, R2, Togarski, and Bryson) and 2 guys who saw limited action under RK in Thompson and Cozens.  This is now a good team that will continue to get better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ve always been a fringe playoff team. Goaltending killed any hope this season. It also became absurdly clear the coaching was holding them back big time if it was still any debate. Krueger may do good for tournaments, but once he was figured out it was all over. 
 

Thankfully the rot wasn’t so deep it couldn’t be cleaned out. Some guys are having major major rebounds. 
 

Add Ullmark and Eichel and see what this team does. Girgensons and a healthy defense and we’re competing. 
 

If they can keep the band together this off season I wouldn’t change a whole lot. Biggest gap is the fourth line. Benching Eakin isn’t a big money loss.

Edited by triumph_communes
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I'd like to see this team address the goaltending concern before I would call them "good".  They've moved from bad to "fair" and improving no doubt.

Agreed they are playing decent hockey and have moved a step above embarrassing. Sustain this level of decency and they will be considered a decent team, start next year this way and they will move up to fair. Keep doing this through February and they will get to OK. If they make the playoffs they can then be called good and not a moment before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hall and Staal were huge drags on the team.   Okposo is too, he tries hard, but he's slow and looses every race.  

This is probably the fastest team we've had in Buffalo in years.   Best I've seen their transition game in a long time.

Ullmark coming back helped and now Tokarski is playing well.    

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This team is 5-3-2 in it’s last 10.  That’s a 98 pt pace over 82 games.  They are doing it without their top center (injured), a top 6 LW (Hall), their best defensive D (McCabe) and now without their top 2 goalies (injured).  They moved their top RW to center are featuring 5 players who started the year on the taxi squad or in the minors (Mitts, Asplund, R2, Togarski, and Bryson) and 2 guys who saw limited action under RK in Thompson and Cozens.  This is now a good team that will continue to get better.

I wholehearted agree with you that the Sabres have assembled enough talent to compete and in the not too distant future be considered a serious team. As you pointed out the underutilization of players such as Thompson, Cozens and for different reasons Skinner is an example of squandering the talents you already have.  Where I have a little different perspective on your take is your "what if" about injuries. Usually, all teams have to contend with losing players due to injuries in a long and grinding season. And because of the Covid issue it is even more of a factor because of the compressed schedule. And what shouldn't be forgotten is that this virus era has put this team in an even more challenging conference.

What we are seeing now is that the talent in the system has started to percolate up to the point that the pool of players to draw from is larger than it has been in a long time. Next year, we will be seeing players competing for positions and roles. And that will enhance the pool of NHL ready players to draw from when the inevitable injuries happen. The future looks bright. 

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Let the record reflect that so far @pi2000 was right about that trade, which seems stranger and more pointless by the day.  

If this game log is correct, he's played 4 games. 2 were against the dumpster fire that is Anaheim. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eman said:

He got a shutout and check out his save percentage. Yes, Colorado is a very good team but they saw something in Johansson they liked and they are using him. People on this blog wanted him on the first bus out of this city. Just goes to show you what a well coached and decent organisation can do for someone. I don't think this guy is a bust and I think Linus is an NHL starting goaltender. He will test free agency as is his right and I can't blame him. Tokarski, by the way, is an excellent back up goaltender and can give you quality starts as well. Saw him play for the Hamilton Bulldogs several times and he is very good. Has won a couple of championships in his minor league career as well. I would sign him as the back up and if we lose Linus, then we will definitely need a number 1.

4 games. 2 against Anaheim. Books still out on Johansson especially once teams adjust to him in that conference. I wish him well though. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If this game log is correct, he's played 4 games. 2 were against the dumpster fire that is Anaheim. 

4 starts.  He also gave up a goal on a single shot in 12+ minutes vs Minny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...