Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

What if Jack has asked for a trade, and an agreement has been made by agent, Jack, KA and Pegula to keep it out of the media, and deny request has been made?

My point...don’t necessarily believe KA when he says Jack has not asked to be traded. 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What if Jack has asked for a trade, and an agreement has been made by agent, Jack, KA and Pegula to keep it out of the media, and deny request has been made?

My point...don’t necessarily believe KA when he says Jack has not asked to be traded. 

Anything is possible. But it's hard to imagine something not leaking out.

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I think it’s a game of semantics. He doesn’t have to explicitly ask for a trade for it to be obvious he wants to be traded.

• Like (+1) 5

The rangers might not be willing to let go of lafreniere, fox , shesterkin or kakko ( allthough kakko is a tier lower than those 3 ).

But they are in a bidding war with the kings, and the kings might offer more.   If we are sellling, we should always set the price high, because a lot of teams will be coming after jack.

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

But "general fans" also overvalue their *own* players and prospects. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

For the record, I don't think many Sabres fans see him as a top 10 league asset. I don't. I do see him as a top 10 centre, though, and MVP candidate. Most lists have Jack as a top 10 C, too.

I don't really think this board overvalues Eichel at all, tbh. Most are eager to deal him for a mystery box of assets and call it a day 

If Adams is determined to p*ss off the fanbase, maybe

So you’re saying the fan base wants to trade Eichel?  

Risto and Reinhart are more likely to be traded.  Let’s use them to add more players, prospects, picks and get a goalie.  

IF it's a given that Eichel must be traded (which I don't believe), how about sending him to Boston for Marchand?  Obviously Jack is younger with upside so maybe Boston has to also throw Grzelcyk into the mix.

Boston gets Jack's potential.  Sabres get instant grit and leadership which we all know we so desperately need.  Marchand has been a dirtbag on the ice for most of his career, but he can play the game, and he has largely eliminated the silliness from his play in the last few years.  Mofo will probably play healthy well into his 40's, too.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

IF it's a given that Eichel must be traded (which I don't believe), how about sending him to Boston for Marchand?  Obviously Jack is younger with upside so maybe Boston has to also throw Grzelcyk into the mix.

Boston gets Jack's potential.  Sabres get instant grit and leadership which we all know we so desperately need.  Marchand has been a dirtbag on the ice for most of his career, but he can play the game, and he has largely eliminated the silliness from his play in the last few years.  Mofo will probably play healthy well into his 40's, too.

Marchand hates this city and the fan base pretty much feels the same.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Marchand hates this city and the fan base pretty much feels the same.

As a Sabres fan, just like everyone else here, I have hated Marchand as an NHL player.  But as a Canadian, I love him in a team Canada uniform.  

The guy is a proven winner.  Eichel is not.  If an Eichel trade becomes necessary and this trade is an option (with the proper additions) then we'd be idiots to not consider it.

4 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

As a Sabres fan, just like everyone else here, I have hated Marchand as an NHL player.  But as a Canadian, I love him in a team Canada uniform.  

The guy is a proven winner.  Eichel is not.  If an Eichel trade becomes necessary and this trade is an option (with the proper additions) then we'd be idiots to not consider it.

We would be idiots to trade Eichel based on the fact that he seems to not want to play here anymore, for someone who definitely does not want to play here. Marchand can’t even stand visiting here when he plays against us and has explicitly said so in print. 

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

We would be idiots to trade Eichel based on the fact that he seems to not want to play here anymore, for someone who definitely does not want to play here. Marchand can’t even stand visiting here when he plays against us and has explicitly said so in print. 

If there’s one person who’s opinion I couldn’t care less about, it’s Brad “scum bag” Marchand. 

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Thank you for the bolded!  

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If there’s one person who’s opinion I couldn’t care less about, it’s Brad “scum bag” Marchand. 

He actually gave my brother a shout out/ support on Twitter once because they had a bad house fire. My brother is a Bruins fan. I’ve since gained a little bit of respect for him since then but still don’t like him as a player of course. 

10 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

He actually gave my brother a shout out/ support on Twitter once because they had a bad house fire. My brother is a Bruins fan. I’ve since gained a little bit of respect for him since then but still don’t like him as a player of course. 

Well a broken clock is right twice a day 😂

Ok, he’s 1% empathetic, 99% dooooouche bag

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

O'Reilly: a 1st, a 2nd, a good prospect and two run-of-the-mill NHLers - just want to verify this, and should be claimed as a mediocre prospect.  

Thompson was 1st round pick who put up a point a game in his D1 college season and had just spent half his D2 season in the NHL. You might not have liked him, but at the time he was traded he absolutely met the definition of a good prospect.

10 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Berglund and Sobotka were not "run-of-the-mill" NHL-ers.  Berglund was years beyond what I thought was acceptable and was a 3rd-4th liner at the time -- albeit a good one.  Sobotka was their worst player the year before..

I think there is a lot of hindsight to this post, or maybe we have different definitions of run-of-the-mill.

Berglund had just put up 17 goals in 57 games. Sobotka had 31 points and was top six among Blues forwards in ice time.

Both were ordinary, every game players.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think there is a lot of hindsight to this post, or maybe we have different definitions of run-of-the-mill.

Berglund had just put up 17 goals in 57 games. Sobotka had 31 points and was top six among Blues forwards in ice time.

Both were ordinary, every game players.

Blues fans I know said that Sobotka was done.  According to those fans, he was below replacement level.  In my book, that is below "run-of-the-mill."

Berglund was older, but would qualify as somewhat above average for "run of the mill" by performance and function, but to the high end by age.

In an Eichel trade, all "throw-in" players should be at least as defencively capable as Berglund and younger; one of them can even be in Okposo's salary range.  No one should even give me a thought about being Sobotka level throughout his remaining contract.

Didn’t we spend the last 5 years lamenting the Ryan oreilly trade because he “didn’t want to be here?” I think we will just keep falling into the same cycle if we trade Eichel. 

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Didn’t we spend the last 5 years lamenting the Ryan oreilly trade because he “didn’t want to be here?” I think we will just keep falling into the same cycle if we trade Eichel. 

The problem as exemplified by the ROR disgruntlement scenario isn't that he was dealt. The problem was the return. There was no necessity to move him if a balanced deal couldn't be made. By many accounts what drove the trade was the impending bonus deadline. The lesson to be learned from that boondoggle is that if you can't get the right deal for a player you want to move then have the fortitude to be patient and wait for a better deal. The organization forced its own hand by setting a deadline when it wasn't necessary. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So you’re saying the fan base wants to trade Eichel?  

Risto and Reinhart are more likely to be traded.  Let’s use them to add more players, prospects, picks and get a goalie.  

I think it's probably about 50/50 - but that's purely anecdotal 

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it still a good deal if the players coming here are clinically depressed before getting off the plane? Talent isn't enough.

The Sabres have to get the right players. They have to get this right.

I agree with this to an extent, but they also have to realize that much of what goes into making these guys, in the end, NOT the "right" players starts taking affect as soon as they hop off that plane onto Sabres soil, and start breathing Sabres air, which smells like stale beer and losing. 

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Blues fans I know said that Sobotka was done.  According to those fans, he was below replacement level.  In my book, that is below "run-of-the-mill."

Berglund was older, but would qualify as somewhat above average for "run of the mill" by performance and function, but to the high end by age.

In an Eichel trade, all "throw-in" players should be at least as defencively capable as Berglund and younger; one of them can even be in Okposo's salary range.  No one should even give me a thought about being Sobotka level throughout his remaining contract.

Even if we take the most positive outlooks of the deal at the time, if Jack's deal looks similar to that, it's easily not enough

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The problem as exemplified by the ROR disgruntlement scenario isn't that he was dealt. The problem was the return. There was no necessity to move him if a balanced deal couldn't be made. By many accounts what drove the trade was the impending bonus deadline. The lesson to be learned from that boondoggle is that if you can't get the right deal for a player you want to move then have the fortitude to be patient and wait for a better deal. The organization forced its own hand by setting a deadline when it wasn't necessary. 

Unfortunately with JE, there is a very real deadline on the horizon they need to remain mindful of

The one part of the Eichel drama that puzzles me is why are people assuming that Eichel can't eventually understand that the Sabres are following the advice of the doctors and that they might recoil at the player they are paying as a lab rat for this procedure on an athlete of his calibre.

Maybe I am just different.  In his position, I am quite sure that I would want surgery, but I would have eventually shied away because I would not have liked the risk given my profession.  I would not have had neck surgery unless it was absolutely necessary.

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Unfortunately with JE, there is a very real deadline on the horizon they need to remain mindful of

The timeline for that horizon is next year. And even when that particular clause kicks in giving him a say where he can be dealt that still doesn't mean that he has to be dealt. If you can't get good value for him then you keep him. I'm not arguing whether to deal him or not. The only condition for a trade is if dealt the return has to be comparable or near comparable to the value going out. As example would I trade Jack to the Rangers for Kakko and LaFreniere? My response is yes.