Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

Any love for a trade with the Ducks? Zegras would be a nice addition, no?

One of the big talking heads on TSN was going through teams and saying the Kings wouldn’t offer up Byfield but then said you could get “Zegras, Drysdale and picks” from Anaheim which I thought was interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Any love for a trade with the Ducks? Zegras would be a nice addition, no?

Zegras or Drysdale.  In my eyes they definitely have the pieces.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

One of the big talking heads on TSN was going through teams and saying the Kings wouldn’t offer up Byfield but then said you could get “Zegras, Drysdale and picks” from Anaheim which I thought was interesting.

That makes no sense really, but ok.  Maybe they think Anaheim would be a lot more interested than LA for some reason.  Or maybe it’s just an empty head talking.

Edited by Curt

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Athletic Trade Proposals 

Calgary sends right winger Matthew Tkachuk, center prospect Connor Zary and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Minnesota sends center prospect Marco Rossi, a first-round pick and either defenseman Matt Dumba or forward Jordan Greenway to the Sabres for Eichel

Los Angeles sends center Quinton Byfield, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Or

Los Angeles sends centers Alex Turcotte and Gabriel Vilardi, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Arizona sends left winger Clayton Keller, goalie Darcy Kuemper and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Detroit sends winger Filip Zadina or Lucas Raymond plus additional prospects and picks to the Sabres for Eichel

Washington sends center Evgeny Kuznetsov, goaltender Vitek Vanecek and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Tampa Bay sends center Anthony Cirelli and defenseman Mikhail Sergachev to the Sabres for Eichel

I would consider the First Four, the others no way

These are all actually terrible 

Reading these last few pages, it likely we are not going to be happy with any trade.  What happened to the Rangers talk?  

Getting a true 1C, like Byfield, is critical IMO.  

Any chance that Eichel heals this summer and stays?  Have things crossed the line?  

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

These are all actually terrible 

You are going to hate the actual trade so much.

Those are probably among the most generous proposals I’ve seen, other than those made by Sabres fans.

Personally, I’m hoping we get a return as good as some of the above. Not counting on it.

The only way I will actually be happy is if Lafreniere or Zegras (Byfield fits the profile but I’m not as convinced on him) is coming back. And that’s only because I’ve resigned myself to that level of talent being out of reach.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

You are going to hate the actual trade so much.

Those are probably among the most generous proposals I’ve seen, other than those made by Sabres fans.

Personally, I’m hoping we get a return as good as some of the above. Not counting on it.

The only way I will actually be happy is if Lafreniere or Zegras (Byfield fits the profile but I’m not as convinced on him) is coming back. And that’s only because I’ve resigned myself to that level of talent being out of reach.

I mean, I've been saying this for a while

The lighting return is brutal, ftr. Cirelli had like 20 points this year in 50 games.

Keller and Kuemper for Eichel?

Tkachuk, a prospect and a pick for a top 10 league centre?

All awful 

"generous" lol

You're right, maybe we'll get just Tkachuk and a pick. That's more of a reasonable ask for an MVP level player

14 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If Adams can get both AND picks that would be a great piece of business. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ll drive Eichel to Anaheim for those two  
I don’t see why Anaheim would do that.  Not nearly as deep prospect pool as LA. Besides Geztlaf, do they have another aging vet that would put them into the “win now” category? 

I think there is a bit of a disconnect between what Buffalo fans think of Eichel (top 10 asset in the league) and what general fans think (top 30 player, bit of problem child, would be better on any other team)

I’m hoping GMs value him more like Buffalo fans, because if it’s general fans, that Athletic list Brawndo posted is the best we can hope for.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Athletic Trade Proposals 

Calgary sends right winger Matthew Tkachuk, center prospect Connor Zary and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Minnesota sends center prospect Marco Rossi, a first-round pick and either defenseman Matt Dumba or forward Jordan Greenway to the Sabres for Eichel

Los Angeles sends center Quinton Byfield, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Or

Los Angeles sends centers Alex Turcotte and Gabriel Vilardi, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Arizona sends left winger Clayton Keller, goalie Darcy Kuemper and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Detroit sends winger Filip Zadina or Lucas Raymond plus additional prospects and picks to the Sabres for Eichel

Washington sends center Evgeny Kuznetsov, goaltender Vitek Vanecek and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Tampa Bay sends center Anthony Cirelli and defenseman Mikhail Sergachev to the Sabres for Eichel

I would consider the First Four, the others no way

The first four and TB are ok.  Although I worry about Tkachuk.  I wish the Ducks and NYR Athletic guys would have participated.

Edited by Curt

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I don’t see why Anaheim would do that.  Not nearly as deep prospect pool as LA. Besides Geztlaf, do they have another aging vet that would put them into the “win now” category? 

Anaheim’s core is Silfverberg, 30, Rakell, 28, Fowler 29, Manson, 29, Lindholm, 27 and Gibson, 27

Jack is 24. He helps that group now, and their younger group moving forward.

The last is true of any team. It’s one of the reasons why he should be so valuable.

Also, markets like Anaheim can’t afford extended rebuilds at the bottom of the league from a business perspective. Eichel makes a ton of sense from a business perspective.

Edited by dudacek

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Ducks have some actual good NHL players on their roster who could be part of a win now team.  

I think there is a distinct possibility that Dolan, owner of the Rangers, continues his recent Svengali behavior and orders Drury to pay whatever it takes to get Eichel.  That might be the best path to a bountiful return for the Sabres if they decide to trade him.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think there is a bit of a disconnect between what Buffalo fans think of Eichel (top 10 asset in the league) and what general fans think (top 30 player, bit of problem child, would be better on any other team)

I’m hoping GMs value him more like Buffalo fans, because if it’s general fans, that Athletic list Brawndo posted is the best we can hope for.

But "general fans" also overvalue their *own* players and prospects. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

For the record, I don't think many Sabres fans see him as a top 10 league asset. I don't. I do see him as a top 10 centre, though, and MVP candidate. Most lists have Jack as a top 10 C, too.

I don't really think this board overvalues Eichel at all, tbh. Most are eager to deal him for a mystery box of assets and call it a day 

28 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Reading these last few pages, it likely we are not going to be happy with any trade.  What happened to the Rangers talk?  

Getting a true 1C, like Byfield, is critical IMO.  

Any chance that Eichel heals this summer and stays?  Have things crossed the line?  

If Adams is determined to p*ss off the fanbase, maybe

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think there is a distinct possibility that Dolan, owner of the Rangers, continues his recent Svengali behavior and orders Drury to pay whatever it takes to get Eichel.  That might be the best path to a bountiful return for the Sabres if they decide to trade him.  

I’m getting this vibe too.

I hope that Dolan thinks he finally “fixed” the Knicks, so now it’s time for him move on to “fixing” the Rangers.

He hasn’t been super involved in Rangers stuff, until just now it seems, so I’m not sure how many hockey fans realized that this guy is kind off his rocker.  It’s absolutely possible that he almost mandates his neophyte GM to outbid everyone else and acquire Eichel.  He is that kind of cray cray.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

It’s what I’ve been hoping, for sure.

My thought train has been running a lot towards Bruce McNall’s comments after buying Gretzky: how undervalued he was from a business perspective.

We’re so focused on the hockey aspect, we tend to look past the fact that NHL teams are businesses owned by businessmen and there are marketing departments across the league salivating at the chance of selling Jack to their city.

Add in egos like Dolan’s and it’s a lever the Sabres should be pulling.

Acquiring a player like Jack Eichel is an ownership call.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If the majority of media mocks and Ranger fan mocks ring true, I want nothing to do with a Ranger trade.  Rangers would have to deal an “untouchable” to get me interested (Lafreniere, Fox) plus a goalie.  I could care less about a collection of soft, middling prospects they have.  Not interested in Kakko either.  The fact they don’t have a center prospect to deal, throws cold water on their best offers as well.

2 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

If the majority of media mocks and Ranger fan mocks ring true, I want nothing to do with a Ranger trade.  Rangers would have to deal an “untouchable” to get me interested (Lafreniere, Fox) plus a goalie.  I could care less about a collection of soft, middling prospects they have.  Not interested in Kakko either.  The fact they don’t have a center prospect to deal, throws cold water on their best offers as well.

We definitely won't get Fox. I did hear Laf and Kakk were "off the table" but that was before Drury took over. 

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m getting this vibe too.

I hope that Dolan thinks he finally “fixed” the Knicks, so now it’s time for him move on to “fixing” the Rangers.

He hasn’t been super involved in Rangers stuff, until just now it seems, so I’m not sure how many hockey fans realized that this guy is kind off his rocker.  It’s absolutely possible that he almost mandates his neophyte GM to outbid everyone else and acquire Eichel.  He is that kind of cray cray.

What would consider outbidding out of curiosity?  

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We definitely won't get Fox. I did hear Laf and Kakk were "off the table" but that was before Drury took over. 

Pretty underwhelming crop once you take those away.  I think they don’t want to trade Shesterkin either.  Very Blues-ish return if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Pretty underwhelming crop once you take those away.  I think they don’t want to trade Shesterkin either.  Very Blues-ish return if you ask me.

Ya. I do think people should keep in mind we aren't going to get a team's best prospect, which is a big part of the reason the whole idea of trading Jack sours me. 1 - I don't want to trade him, 2 - I highly doubt it's for "now" players, which to me it should be and 3 - I think the best prospect we'll get is a Turcotte 

So the prospects route is my 3rd choice and even there I think it'll be very underwhelming. Teams just don't really trade their top prospect. It's part of the reason you don't see guys like Jack moved that often. But KA is intent on it so we'll see what happens

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

What would consider outbidding out of curiosity?  

Outbidding?  That means offering more than anyone else. 

Seriously, how could I answer that without knowing roughly what other offers are out there?  

It probably would need to include Lafreniere.  They have lots of high quality assets.  I would not believe that players like Lafreniere or Kakko are “off the table” just because some Rangers fan sites wrote it.  Dolan and Drury, and maybe Sather, will decide who is available.

(Fox I think is truly untouchable.  Their best NHL player and soon to be captain.)

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Seriously, how could I answer that without knowing roughly what other offers are out there?  

It probably would need to include Lafreniere.  They have lots of high quality assets.  I would not believe that players like Lafreniere or Kakko are “off the table” just because some Rangers fan sites wrote it.  Dolan and Drury, and maybe Sather, will decide who is available.

(Fox I think is truly untouchable.  Their best NHL player and soon to be captain.)

Staff writer for the athletic covering the Rangers

E1G4ID4XEAYEvyQ.thumb.jpg.963020775c88251cf9b96f5b06cdb091.jpg

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I am asking you to take a guess dude, and this is all speculation anyway.  Of course you don’t know, if you did we wouldn’t be speculating and dreaming up scenarios 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd outright demand Byfield. Anyone else doesn't reach good value to me. We need a potential 1C not a 2C and a couple wingers. Their vets want to win soon, well if you want Eichel then we demand a guy who could become a 1C in his own right. After all we should know from 2008 through 2012 that without a 1C you don't get very far.

Essentially, with Turcotte and Beniers we'd lack a true 1C potential player. Both of them, along with Cozens and Mitts for the matter are all 2C level prospects.

I don’t buy this either exactly.  You don’t need a true 1C, which I’m assuming you mean a point per game+ top-10 type of C.

Cozens, Mitts, Turcotte, Beniers could each develop into 60+ point players, 3/4 with excellent defense.