Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe, I can't prove it either way, but I would disagree. My opinion is that while the results on the ice are the most important, MOST fans do care (at least somewhat) 'how the sausage is made', as you say.  If that wasn't the case, this thread wouldn't be as long as it is....and the only thread that would matter on this forum would be the gameday thread.

I'm not going to go out and make sausage.  No one is gonna pay me to do it and I wouldn't be that good at it anyway.  The thing is, that's true of EVERY poster on this board, whether we admit it or not. 

So basically, knowing a bit about sausage making is interesting, but I want to see the on-ice product.  It's just that in between games this forum is a sausage fest so whether I want to make sausage or not, it's here.

Oh, and don't confuse the posters on this forum with "most fans".  Most fans aren't even aware there is sausage.  They just watch the games.

59 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Imagine how disgusting that food must taste by now? 

In reality, I bet you it hasn’t twisted and turned as much as they claim. Probably has never twisted either. 

But, you leave open the possibility it did turn.....

Jack, turn on your side, so the machine gets a clear picture... 😀

4 hours ago, klos1963 said:

This just what Thorny posted about. Over time, people have convinced themselves to something that they have no knowledge of, but it's convenient and easy to mentally rid themselves of Eichel.  We heard the same about ROR to justify trading him and watching him with the Cup and Conn Smythe.

I have posted about this in detail before. Too exhausted to try to convince those not open to it.  My career has been all about leadership development and developing servant leaders. Jack is clearly not currently a leader, especially not a servant leader (serving, being a resource, and building-up those he is in charge of leading).

To Jack's credit, it's not necessarily his fault. He has not been mentored on how to lead men, and has never had to lead before being wrongly made Captain of the Buffalo Sabres.  He has always just been the most talented player on every team he has been on. Elite talent does not equal leadership.

Perhaps Jack could still be a Sabre If he could return to the team with humility, not wearing the C (originally I said he needs to surrender the letter, but Donny & GMKA took care of that already), and merely be an elite talent, show up every day to serve his teammates and follow/submit to the leaders around him.  Not many men are mature enough & capable of pulling that off well. Definitely not a young man who has had everyone worship at his feet most of his life.

The best thing for the Sabres is to capitalize the best return they can for the asset of elite talent that is Jack Eichel.  Bring in a mature proven leader of men who knows his role is as a short term "C" to mentor & develop the next eventual Captain to be on our team (perhaps Cozens or someone not yet a Sabre). But that young captain-to-be must 1st be shown & developed as a leader, then 2nd show/prove/EARN his letter "C."

Jack never earned it. That's not his fault. He was set up to fail by being improperly "knighted" with the "C."  

As the ultimate leader, as General Manager, Adams has clearly come to same conclusion and has been making the hard decisions that are best for the long term & sustainable success for our beloved hocky franchise.

Patience is sadly what is in order for us as fans, while we let him execute the strategic plan that was launched the moment Krueger was fired.  Get the best Return on Asset (ROA) for Jack and build the future organization the right way, with the right selfless/hard-working culture, and the right leadership (A HC that develops players, and then developing the leadership skills in the future proven/earnex Captain.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Kevin Weekes is usually  bang on with his stuff. This doesn’t really tell anything new but I think these are the two teams that are legit in on Eichel. The Ducks and Avs and others check in but the Flames and Knights are the two serious about a deal.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1454559378321850390?s=20

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I agree with @PromoTheRobot.  I remember people here having torches and pitchforks ready if GMKA had traded Eichel for returns the vast majority of posters today would find acceptable.  But by not caving, he can't increase Eichel's value.

GMKA must juggle several factors, some of which work against each other.  He can't allow Eichel to get the ADR surgery because the Pegulas would be legally on the hook for Eichel's health for the rest of his life -- even after trading him.  Thus, ADR is not on the table barring something negative happening, whence Eichel's value cannot be increased that way.  Hence, we are at the current impasse.

How are the Pegulas legally on the hook for Eichel's health the rest of his life if he gets ADR?

ADR isn't some back alley operation.  There are plenty of medical professionals out there who certify that ADR is a safe alternative to spinal fusion.  The Pegulas could easily defer to those medical professionals and be off the hook for any of Eichel's career medical issues.

Conversely, since there are medical opinions out there supporting ADR as the better procedure for long-term health than a spinal fusion, the Pegulas could be in jeopardy of being sued if they force Eichel to get a spinal fusion and Eichel has to get additional surgeries post retirement.

The Sabres are pushing spinal fusion because they don't want to be the first to sign off on ADR for an NHL player.  Not wanting to be the test case in the league isn't the same as saying that ADR is not a legimate medical procedure.

And let's not act like spinal fusions are a common thing in the NHL.  It's not like there are dozens of players in the NHL who have undergone spinal fusions and now are producing at pre-injury levels.

The injury is career threatening, and spinal fusion isn't a silver-bullet cure.  If the Sabres want the best return for Eichel, I think teams are going to have to see Eichel back on the ice.  That means that Eichel gets either of the surgeries and proves he still can play at his previous level.  There's huge risk in that for the Sabres, regardless of the surgery.

On the other hand, Adams can let the other team take the risk, if he accepts something like a 7th round prospect and a late 1st round pick for Eichel.

17 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The Sabres are pushing spinal fusion because they don't want to be the first to sign off on ADR for an NHL player. 

In the absence of hard data, you listen to the experts.  There are experts who favor ADR in general, but few, if any, that support it for NHL players.  In the end the decision as far as the Pegulas go is probably not with which expert doctors they choose, it's with the insurance underwriters.  They're simply not ready to accept the risk of a negative outcome if it's not financially insured.  Other team owners apparently have a different view.  But in the end this is, and always has been, about the financial risk of approving the surgery. 

And the risk is substantial; there is literally no data to support an NHLer getting ADR.  None.  Zilch.  Zero.  Nada.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 4