Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Curt said:

So, you are using future tense.  I believe that we have run out of future tense and are now in present tense.  How long can you say that he will want out soon if this keeps up?  I think we got there, we’ve past that point,

Its not that Eichel may theoretically want out at some point in the future, he already wants out.

Thats just what I believe.

Let's assume that he wants out? What does that mean? Does it mean the organization should deal him if it they can't get a fair return in a trade? I would say no to that scenario.  If the organization believes that he will have more trade value when he is in better health and his play has returned to an elite level, then the Sabres should keep him until a more favorable time to make a trade. 

Do you think that Reinhart was happy last year? He wasn't. He publicly expressed his displeasure being out of playoff contention again. Yet he still played at high level. Risto was certainly not satisfied being in the situation he was in again. He didn't mask his feelings. Yet he played with his standard effort.    

There is no team in the league that doesn't have some players who are disgruntled in some form because of a variety of reasons. It could be for contract reasons, playing time or bad relationships with the coaching staff or other players. Being unhappy doesn't automatically mean that a player won't play well. In the Jack situation it is more likely to have an opposite effect because he would have an incentive to showcase his talents in order to make him a more tradeable commodity for the Sabres

I believe that if a reasonable deal can be made a trade will happen. But if a deal can't be worked out that satisfies the organization it should bide its time until a deal can be made that makes sense for them. No more ROR trade boondoggles!

For the record, I think part of buying out Suter was to make sure they can protect Dumba in the expansion draft so if Minnesota is aggressive I don't expect them to need to include Dumba any longer.

I think the talk of Rossi, Fiala, one or two firsts and another piece are along the right track. Maybe a final deal of Rossi, Fiala, Greenway and a first could get me excited though I think that's sort of along the "gutting the team" concept since they'd be moving three valuable young forwards in the same deal.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He's pissed because the team hasn't won anything since he was here. If the new regime produces similar results he will certainly want out, but if the team is winning it will be exactly what he wants. He won't want out if the team is relevant. 

I'll point out again how weird it is to separate Jack and the team.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Why?

It's the way these things go now. Players have more control and teams just don't want to waste time with a toxic player in a locker room. I'm not saying in this post that Eichel is (he may be) but I'm saying in this hypothetical where his NMC kicks in and he puts in a hard trade demand it makes the situation ugly but does not make a trade less likely. It just costs the Sabres.

The Sabres can and should play some form of hardball there but they'd be limited. You'd have to tell Eichel he can't just force his way to one specific team (he could try) and make it clear he's going to need to give you at least five to ten options.

Just now, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Eichel AND Reinhart?  What on Earth does that package look like?

I don't know but that Twitter account is literally pants so I don't know if it's legit.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Eriksson Ek, Addison, Rossi, Boldy, both firsts this year, next year's first, and Talbot as a throw in (because they are likely about to lose him for nothing)....if I'm in a GOOD mood.

That's one player off their roster, a mess of kids, and picks.

David 'GD' Putney, just because I want him.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Let's assume that he wants out? What does that mean? Does it mean the organization should deal him if it they can't get a fair return in a trade? I would say no to that scenario.  If the organization believes that he will have more trade value when he is in better health and his play has returned to an elite level, then the Sabres should keep him until a more favorable time to make a trade. 

Do you think that Reinhart was happy last year? He wasn't. He publicly expressed his displeasure being out of playoff contention again. Yet he still played at high level. Risto was certainly not satisfied being in the situation he was in again. He didn't mask his feelings. Yet he played with his standard effort.    

There is no team in the league that doesn't have some players who are disgruntled in some form because of a variety of reasons. It could be for contract reasons, playing time or bad relationships with the coaching staff or other players. Being unhappy doesn't automatically mean that a player won't play well. In the Jack situation it is more likely to have an opposite effect because he would have an incentive to showcase his talents in order to make him a more tradeable commodity for the Sabres

I believe that if a reasonable deal can be made a trade will happen. But if a deal can't be worked out that satisfies the organization it should bide its time until a deal can be made that makes sense for them. No more ROR trade boondoggles!

Did you intend to reply to me?

This post doesn’t seem to be addressing the things I wrote.

I mostly agree with the things you wrote.

I believe that Eichel is beyond disgruntled and actively wants out of Buffalo.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Curt said:

I've been struggling to put into words the reason why I'm okay with him being traded and why I actually want it.

The first part is what you said, trying to read between the lines it doesn't appear as if he kind of wants out, the feeling I'm getting is that he really wants out, in a bad way. He probably kind of wanted out last year but it is accelerated well beyond that.

The other thing is, for me to enjoy this team I at least need the illusion of players wanting to be here and playing for each other. Is that realistic? Not all the time. I'm sure a lot of sabers teams in the past had players that we all loved and we thought liked being on the team in  Buffalo and it may not have been true.... But at least if that is hidden behind the curtain so to speak... I can still enjoy the team.

Once it's out in the open and I know players aren't happy here I just as soon rather move on and bring in some that still give me the illusion that they want to be here. Does that make for a better team? Not really, but for me it makes a more enjoyable team.

I think we are entering trade window 1 of 2. Today seems unlikely but the 15th and 16th are prime times to trade guys so you don't protect them. The more likely and 2nd  window is the 22nd and 23rd. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

What is the basis that Eichel is at the stage of being irretrievable in his desire to leave the Sabres? When asked at a exiting press interview about his situation he candidly responded that there was a disconnect between himself and the organization regarding what was the best course of action in his treatment. That description of situation was true.

Is Jack unhappy about the team's inability over the course of his four or five year career to be given the support to allow him to play on a competitive team? Of course he is. And so are a lot of other players on this team. I would think less of him as a competitor if he were passively accepting of this literally bottom feeding situation. Let's not forget that the Sabres had the worst record in hockey last year. It doesn't matter that he was out of service and watching the games from the team box or from his couch because what he (and we) witnessed didn't provide much hope for the near future. 

Is it surprising that Eichel would want out? Of course not. I would be more surprised if he was accepting of the status-quo. Is he totally bought in that this new regime can turn it around? Of course not. This befuddled organization has ineptly functioned while he has been here so why shouldn't he have a negative viewpoint?

As I stated before I believe that it is more likely that he will be traded than not. If the return on a trade is reasonable it might be better for each party to move on and have a fresh start. But if the value isn't there in the exchange then the Sabres should keep him until it is in the organization's best interest to move him, if that is the course they decide to take. The worry that an unhappy Jack on the Sabres would affect his play or poison the room is nonsense. Reinhart was our best player last year. How happy was he? 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What is the basis that Eichel is at the stage of being irretrievable in his desire to leave the Sabres? When asked at a exiting press interview about his situation he candidly responded that there was a disconnect between himself and the organization regarding what was the best course of action in his treatment. That description of situation was true.

Is Jack unhappy about the team's inability over the course of his four or five year career to be given the support to allow him to play on a competitive team? Of course he is. And so are a lot of other players on this team. I would think less of him as a competitor if he were passively accepting of this literally bottom feeding situation. Let's not forget that the Sabres had the worst record in hockey last year. It doesn't matter that he was out of service and watching the games from the team box or from his couch because what he (and we) witnessed didn't provide much hope for the near future. 

Is it surprising that Eichel would want out? Of course not. I would be more surprised if he was accepting of the status-quo. Is he totally bought in that this new regime can turn it around? Of course not. This befuddled organization has ineptly functioned while he has been here so why shouldn't he have a negative viewpoint?

As I stated before I believe that it is more likely that he will be traded than not. If the return on a trade is reasonable it might be better for each party to move on and have a fresh start. But if the value isn't there in the exchange then the Sabres should keep him until it is in the organization's best interest to move him, if that is the course they decide to take. The worry that an unhappy Jack on the Sabres would affect his play or poison the room is nonsense. Reinhart was our best player last year. How happy was he? 

You asked me why I personally believe that Eichel wants out of Buffalo, and proceeded to do a pretty good job of laying out the reasons that he may want out of Buffalo.

Everyone has a “breaking point”.  Between the repeated failure 6 times over, the repeated management changes, the disagreements over handling of his injury, and Kevy Adams shopping him on the trade market, I believe that Eichel has surpassed his breaking point regarding his relationship with the Sabres.

I don’t agree that it’s an impossibility that having a disgruntled captain, best player, and face of the franchise on the roster could negatively affect his own play, or the play/moral or his teammates.

To dismiss this concern as nonsense, is foolish, or even naive.

Have you never worked with someone who was not happy to be there?

I wonder how much Jack’s dissatisfaction is hampering efforts to re-sign Sam.

Sam’s role on the team and the relationship with his coach finishing last year and heading into next is pretty much optimal for him personally, and the Sabres can offer him a better contract than most teams.

Having his buddy constantly nattering about how he can’t wait to move out of loserville can’t be helping his thought process.

Deferring to Jack has defined Sam’s Sabres career. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised if it defines the way it ends.

• Sad 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I wonder how much Jack’s dissatisfaction is hampering efforts to re-sign Sam.

Sam’s role on the team and the relationship with his coach finishing last year and heading into next is pretty much optimal for him personally, and the Sabres can offer him a better contract than most teams.

Having his buddy constantly nattering about how he can’t wait to move out of loserville can’t be helping his thought process.

Deferring to Jack has defined Sam’s Sabres career. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised if it defines the way it ends.

I sometimes wonder if Sam wants out of Jack's shadow. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I sometimes wonder if Sam wants out of Jack's shadow. 

I think he's wanted this since day one. Can't have felt great getting drafted #2 overall and being an afterthought, all the while you consistently produce and are never injured.

• Like (+1) 1