Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

40 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

There is no chance that he's ending up in Boston.  Unless they rip their team down the middle.  McAvoy, Swayman, Lauko, 4 firsts?  There is no chance we're trading him to the Bruins. 

It's not really happening. All I'm saying everything has a price. If the Bruins want hometown boy that bad, make the right offer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

There is no chance that he's ending up in Boston.  Unless they rip their team down the middle.  McAvoy, Swayman, Lauko, 4 firsts?  There is no chance we're trading him to the Bruins. 

3 way deal.  Still hard with Boston, but something like Boston gives up some more 'veteran' pieces that the Sabres don't want (but still in their prime now).....to another team, then THAT team sends even younger pieces to Buffalo.  

I can't think of exactly how that happens, but it is more likely than a one-to-one deal.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Put together the right package and Kev can make your dreams come true.

Jack still wants to play for his hometown team at some point, too bad P Kane doesn’t feel that way. I’m so done with Jack, I literally dislike him at this point. 

Edited by I-90 W

20 minutes ago, sabremike said:

This is a question that anyone bagging on Jack should ask themselves as the correct answer is very painful to acknowledge: Putting fandom aside if you were a player would you want to play for this organization if you had a choice? 

I don't think some can set aside their fandom because it's a big part of their identity.  It's why when even star players like Jack who display anything that goes against the team it becomes a personal attack.

I won't understand it because the Sabres should be entertainment and not who an individual is.  But to be totally objective, if I was an elite player who worked exceptionally hard at my trade and the team struggled through bad coaches, was operated on shoe-string budgets, featured crony GM hires, and ownership was what they are...I'd want out for a chance to win.  

After all, I would expect a player to want to win and not be locked in Terry and Kim's hockey hades. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, sabremike said:

This is a question that anyone bagging on Jack should ask themselves as the correct answer is very painful to acknowledge: Putting fandom aside if you were a player would you want to play for this organization if you had a choice? 

I'm from Buffalo so yes.

If I were in Eichel's spot, I'd be certainly ticked off but I'd honestly want to stay and try to fix it. I wouldn't want to demand a trade and have that loom over me for the rest of my career. For instance, if I don't win a Cup and had fenagled my way off the team I was drafted by, I will always be seen as a great player but remembered by few. If anything I'll always have a stigma on my back for forcing a trade as that would be my most "famous" moment of my career. Even worse, if the players acquired for me win a Cup for my former team. Then you become Eric Lindros, a Cupless great player that is more known for his forced trade than his career accomplishments by anyone outside Philly.

Even if you never win a Cup, if you spend the vast majority of your career on your 1st team and were a great player; you will always be remembered by that city's fans and respected by outsiders looking in. Hockey is very much still an old school mentality ran system. Loyalty and team contributions outweigh a player's individual achievements 9 times out of 10. 

Edited by thewookie1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s not necessarily how Jack feels that upsets so many of us, but rather how he went about saying it. Sam for example seems to feel the exact same way, but he was much more measured and classy with how he said it.

Also being a captain of a team is an even further commitment. The captain is supposed to be the last off a sinking ship, not the first. There are many heartbroken and confused kids with Eichel jerseys this summer, he could at least be more demure about it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm from Buffalo so yes.

If I were in Eichel's spot, I'd be certainly ticked off but I'd honestly want to stay and try to fix it. I wouldn't want to demand a trade and have that loom over me for the rest of my career. For instance, if I don't win a Cup and had fenagled my way off the team I was drafted by, I will always be seen as a great player but remembered by few. If anything I'll always have a stigma on my back for forcing a trade as that would be my most "famous" moment of my career. Even worse, if the players acquired for me win a Cup for my former team. Then you become Eric Lindros, a Cupless great player that is more known for his forced trade than his career accomplishments by anyone outside Philly.

Even if you never win a Cup, if you spend the vast majority of your career on your 1st team and were a great player; you will always be remembered by that city's fans and respected by outsiders looking in. Hockey is very much still an old school mentality ran system. Loyalty and team contributions outweigh a player's individual achievements 9 times out of 10. 

I think possibly that day has passed. Free agency and money have replaced loyalty. I suppose if I cared to search long enough I'd find exceptions.

Edited by Radar

14 hours ago, SDS said:

The problem is you’re not listening. You’ve always been able to view your tweets chronologically. therefore there is nothing to promote.

Second, even if they were promoting tweets, they are just promoting tweets from people in your own feed. I have never ever ever ever seen a random tweet from someone I didn’t follow (or they retweeted) show in my feed because of an algorithm. It doesn’t happen.

I get suggestions on whom to follow and all I can do is "see less often"; I cannot shut it off.  I have to think that these suggestions are not purely random.

• Like (+1) 1

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts 

10. There were rumours Jack Eichelbacked away from the disc replacement surgery and would consider a fusion instead, but several sources refuted that. Not true. There was a time I thought a trade might happen sooner rather than later, but after the expansion draft looks more likely. Who’s in there? My guess is Anaheim, Calgary, Minnesota and Vegas, with Boston, the Rangers and possibly Los Angeles on the periphery. 

Tough to read the Kings on this one. The Sabres are looking for youth. High-level prospects and picks. The complicating part is Buffalo’s been very careful with Eichel’s medical records. They want to make sure trading partners are serious before allowing access. That’s a little different than St. Louis, which has indicated it will make Vladimir Tarasenko’s available.

Only one of those teams really has a deal that needs to be done before the draft and that’s Anaheim as 3OA would probably be the centerpiece of the return.

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

I made a comparison between Jack Eichel and Josh Allen on Twitter. Jack was the anointed golden boy since youth hockey. Josh Allen was pretty much told he wasn't good enough at every level. One guy fast-tracked through the best programs. The other had to lobby for every chance he got, mostly facing rejection. Which guy is more likely to overcome adversity?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts 

10. There were rumours Jack Eichelbacked away from the disc replacement surgery and would consider a fusion instead, but several sources refuted that. Not true. There was a time I thought a trade might happen sooner rather than later, but after the expansion draft looks more likely. Who’s in there? My guess is Anaheim, Calgary, Minnesota and Vegas, with Boston, the Rangers and possibly Los Angeles on the periphery. 

Tough to read the Kings on this one. The Sabres are looking for youth. High-level prospects and picks. The complicating part is Buffalo’s been very careful with Eichel’s medical records. They want to make sure trading partners are serious before allowing access. That’s a little different than St. Louis, which has indicated it will make Vladimir Tarasenko’s available.

Only one of those teams really has a deal that needs to be done before the draft and that’s Anaheim as 3OA would probably be the centerpiece of the return.

Ah, seems we are reaching a familiar stage when it comes to iNsIdErRz like Friedman: “I know I said “soon”, but, wEeELLlLllll.....”

I’m tempted to say this drags into August, at least. 

On a side note, I’ll say it again, really wish Kevyn was more open to “now” players ala a hockey trade and not just pickz and prospects. But that ship has sailed.

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I made a comparison between Jack Eichel and Josh Allen on Twitter. Jack was the anointed golden boy since youth hockey. Josh Allen was pretty much told he wasn't good enough at every level. One guy fast-tracked through the best programs. The other had to lobby for every chance he got, mostly facing rejection. Which guy is more likely to overcome adversity?

The guy surrounded by a fantastic roster that compliments his every skill set right on up to the coach and GM

Edited by Thorny

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The guy surrounded by a fantastic roster that compliments his every skill set right on up to the coach and GM

Well he is now. Was he surrounded with elite talent on the Bills in 2018? At Wyoming? Junior college? My point is one player had to fight for his place. The other was always 'the guy.' It doesn't make Jack a bad person. But, to me, it explains his reaction when things don't go as expected.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well he is now. Was he surrounded with elite talent on the Bills in 2018? At Wyoming? Junior college? My point is one player had to fight for his place. The other was always 'the guy.' It doesn't make Jack a bad person. But, to me, it explains his reaction when things don't go as expected.

He wasn’t good in 2018 

What does “fight” for it even mean? We know Jack’s training regimen is balls to the wall. How exactly isn’t he fighting? He works his ass off. You don’t get to where he is today without supreme work ethic and determination 

He isn’t giving up on the “Buffalo Sabres” and their fans. He is in a war with several individuals in management. Dunno why people can’t separate that 

Edited by Thorny

Does Aaron Rodgers lack the character needed to succeed? Of course not. Like Jack, his issue isn’t with “Green Bay” it’s with their management group. *Individuals* have falling outs, this isn’t a referendum on Jack the Man, imo

Edited by Thorny

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think we need to stop blaming Jack for the worst organization in professional sports. The Pegulas have hired incompetent coaches and incompetent GMs. Any player who wanted to win would want out of this shitshow after 6 years. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, freester said:

I think we need to stop blaming Jack for the worst organization in professional sports. The Pegulas have hired incompetent coaches and incompetent GMs. Any player who wanted to win would want out of this shitshow after 6 years. 

This is so overblown. Every hire the Pegulas made prior to KA were met with some degree of applause. They were all on somebody’s list of “next in line.”  Obviously they didn’t work out, maybe TM needed more time. Now, they have decided to follow their vision and time will tell if they are right but players bailing is a relatively new thing. In and era of Michael Jordan, elite athletes aspired to be a part of the solution and will their teams to success. In an era personified by Lebron( but not started by him) it has become acceptable to bail and go where you don’t have to work quite as hard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

This is so overblown. Every hire the Pegulas made prior to KA were met with some degree of applause. They were all on somebody’s list of “next in line.”  Obviously they didn’t work out, maybe TM needed more time. Now, they have decided to follow their vision and time will tell if they are right but players bailing is a relatively new thing. In and era of Michael Jordan, elite athletes aspired to be a part of the solution and will their teams to success. In an era personified by Lebron( but not started by him) it has become acceptable to bail and go where you don’t have to work quite as hard.

How does this era look in terms of the common practice of GMs looking to bail on their star players? 

This is *GM* initiated 

Why are we pretending Jack asked out when he has not? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

And if Josh hadn't played well and the Bills hadn't started winning, would you have argued that he needed more talent around him and a better organization? I still say when you don't win, you look to your best player and in this case captain (among other places you look). No excuses for Jack.

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He wasn’t good in 2018 

What does “fight” for it even mean? We know Jack’s training regimen is balls to the wall. How exactly isn’t he fighting? He works his ass off. You don’t get to where he is today without supreme work ethic and determination 

He isn’t giving up on the “Buffalo Sabres” and their fans. He is in a war with several individuals in management. Dunno why people can’t separate that 

I don't think Jack is so unaware that he doesn't know that his comment about wanting to be a Bruin is a kick in the nuts to every fan, even the ladies. Really, it's unforgivable. Not sure it matters, because even his supporters had already gone from "we need to keep the guy" to trade proposals in record time.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How does this era look in terms of the common practice of GMs looking to bail on their star players? 

This is *GM* initiated 

Why are we pretending Jack asked out when he has not? 

How can "wherever that is" the Bruins comment be interpreted any other way? He wants out. Or maybe you're saying when he caught wind of the Sabres shopping him last summer, he felt betrayed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I was with you until the end which is a made up thing older people cling to. Players wanted out and forced their way out back then there just wasn’t as much media access or coverage so it wasn’t as hotly speculated on.

The MJ to LeBron comparison also falls short because MJ won less than LeBron did when the two played on comparatively bad teams but once the front office gave MJ the tools to succeed he found success. The first era for LeBron on the Cavs had no tools for success so he had to go find them. That’s what stars do and have done for decades: leave if they aren’t given the tools for success. Some leave if they are given those tools. Not just the NBA. Pre-LeBron examples of both: Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant,  John Elway, Jim Kelly, Eli Manning, Joe Montana, Kareem, Wilt, Chris Pronger, Michael Peca, Pavel Bure, Eric Lindros, Patrick Roy.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

And if Josh hadn't played well and the Bills hadn't started winning, would you have argued that he needed more talent around him and a better organization? I still say when you don't win, you look to your best player and in this case captain (among other places you look). No excuses for Jack.

I don't think Jack is so unaware that he doesn't know that his comment about wanting to be a Bruin is a kick in the nuts to every fan, even the ladies. Really, it's unforgivable. Not sure it matters, because even his supporters had already gone from "we need to keep the guy" to trade proposals in record time.

How can "wherever that is" the Bruins comment be interpreted any other way? He wants out. Or maybe you're saying when he caught wind of the Sabres shopping him last summer, he felt betrayed.

Too many relevant dissimilarities between an NFL QB and an NHL 1C for this comparison to be relevant. No player in the world takes any of the past 6 sabres teams and hits 90 points in jacks spot 

• Like (+1) 3