Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Just now, rakish said:

I erred last year with my draft board. I think I believed that since there was no way Rossi was going to be there at 8, I didn't really need to think about whether I wanted Rossi or Jarvis.

I don't remember where I put Jarvis but Rossi I had above him. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

That is the one issue with the 'if you don't get what you want just don't trade him' theory.

If you don't get the offer you want and decide to hold on to him, what then?  The situation you bring up will probably occur.  If Adams/management really wants Jack out of here, but you don't move him...doesn't that derail the plans you have for what you envision as your 'new' leadership core?  Will guys like Dahlin, Cozens, Mitts...will they really take control of the team and talk in the locker room if Jack is still here (especially if it is a disgruntled Jack?)

Exactly, and don't forget the no movement clause kicking in. 

The only other option is, you need to have a conversation with Eichel SOMETHING like this:  "Jack, you are under contract for  a while here.  You are a big part of this team but not the ONLY part of this team that matters.  You might be the best player on this team now, but we aren't making decisions that revolve around you...we ARE making decisions where you are a key part of the team but everything doesn't run through  you.  You will be treated (and payed) like one of the best players on this team, no more, no less."  If you want out of Buffalo, you have to get on the ice, put up numbers, be a great teammate to your current teammates and be a 'good soldier'. It'll make it easier for us to trade you"  I'm not sure if that conversation happened already or not....or maybe it happened in previous years and Jack is beyond it at this point.

Well they'd have to have that talk but Jack has already publicly had his presser and stated Jack has to think about Jack. This conversation happens what's to stop him from looking back at KA and saying "hey, why don't you go chat with Jeff..........."  Honestly, we already had the Taylor Hall crap and we have the Skinner crap and there's no way to control thee guys if they quit on this team and just hang in the country club slacking. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But Dach didn't play in the WJC because injury

Also Dach is 19 months older than Byfield. So you're looking at Byfield in the WJC as a 17 and 18 year old. 

I don't love Dach and I have Questions on Byfield.

Is that Seth Jarvis I see way up there... it is! 

Right, but watched him in the lead-ups. He was dominant.

• Like (+1) 1

That is the one issue with the 'if you don't get what you want just don't trade him' theory.

If you don't get the offer you want and decide to hold on to him, what then?  The situation you bring up will probably occur.  If Adams/management really wants Jack out of here, but you don't move him...doesn't that derail the plans you have for what you envision as your 'new' leadership core?  Will guys like Dahlin, Cozens, Mitts...will they really take control of the team and talk in the locker room if Jack is still here (especially if it is a disgruntled Jack?)

The only other option is, you need to have a conversation with Eichel SOMETHING like this:  "Jack, you are under contract for  a while here.  You are a big part of this team but not the ONLY part of this team that matters.  You might be the best player on this team now, but we aren't making decisions that revolve around you...we ARE making decisions where you are a key part of the team but everything doesn't run through  you.  You will be treated (and payed) like one of the best players on this team, no more, no less."  If you want out of Buffalo, you have to get on the ice, put up numbers, be a great teammate to your current teammates and be a 'good soldier'. It'll make it easier for us to trade you"  I'm not sure if that conversation happened already or not....or maybe it happened in previous years and Jack is beyond it at this point.

So much depends if Jack is willing to play along. What is his incentive to help KA move him before his NMC kicks in? Maybe he doesn't want to go where the Sabres have the best offer? Maybe he wants to dictate where he goes, ala Taylor Hall? So much that can go wrong.

Michael Russo, who has the inside pulse of the Wild had these thoughts on Eichel as a Minnesota Trade Target 

Jack Eichel

The Wild have had initial trade talks with the Sabres regarding Eichel, the 2015 second pick.

Buffalo’s captain holds a $10 million cap hit for the next five years and could need offseason neck surgery. The longer he goes before having it, the likelier it will be that he won’t be ready for the start of training camp.

But if you trade for Eichel, that’s a long-term decision, so a delay to start next season wouldn’t be the end-all. The Wild would need a real good grasp on Eichel’s health and so far teams have reportedly not been given permission to talk to Eichel, his agent or doctors.

Right now, unless Buffalo’s price changes, this trade won’t happen regardless.

It’s believed Buffalo is looking for all futures right now.

If that’s the case, a trade would have to start with Rossi and Boldy, and probably include other prospects or multiple first-round picks. Besides the fact that it’s hard to believe that Guerin would mortgage the future and blow a hole through the Wild’s prospect pool, the Wild literally can’t afford to pull off an all-futures trade for Eichel. They’d need significant money going back like Dumba and/or the rights to Fiala in order to execute an Eichel deal.

It makes sense that Sabres GM Kevyn Adams would shoot for the moon this early in the offseason. But it’s hard to buy that any team – Minnesota, Anaheim, Columbus, L.A., Philly – would give up the significant pieces Adams is seeking for a player who’s future could truly be significantly impacted by his injury. Adams’ asking price will likely have to come down as we get closer to the meat of the offseason. If it does and he’s willing to take money back in a trade, the Wild may be a fit. Until then, it’s hard to see how.

Sam Reinhart

If there’s sticker shock as to what Eichel costs, Guerin could turn his attention to Reinhart, the consistent 20-goal scorer who turns 26 in November and tied for 11th in the NHL with 25 goals in 54 games last season. On an aside, he was also minus-28.

But he’s a smart, hard-working, skilled forward who’d help the power play. He’s not the greatest skater and has mostly played wing in his career, which could explain his sub-par faceoff numbers (38.8 percent in his career). The Wild ranked 28th in the faceoff circle last season, so it’d be nice to find somebody who could win a big draw.

Would a Fiala for Reinhart – pending restricted free agent for pending restricted free agent – deal make sense?

Hard to say because Fiala, despite being snakebitten for much of the 2021 playoff round vs. Vegas, has shown he can be a difference-maker.

Can the same be said about Reinhart?

But we also know the Wild’s biggest need is at center, and right-shot centers, especially, are coveted.

Reinhart’s going to be expensive to sign, though.

Getting Boldy and Rossi, Dumba as cap dump ( but a experienced RHD) plus a First, I’m not hanging up if I’m Adams 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Michael Russo, who has the inside pulse of the Wild had these thoughts on Eichel as a Minnesota Trade Target 

Jack Eichel

The Wild have had initial trade talks with the Sabres regarding Eichel, the 2015 second pick.

Buffalo’s captain holds a $10 million cap hit for the next five years and could need offseason neck surgery. The longer he goes before having it, the likelier it will be that he won’t be ready for the start of training camp.

But if you trade for Eichel, that’s a long-term decision, so a delay to start next season wouldn’t be the end-all. The Wild would need a real good grasp on Eichel’s health and so far teams have reportedly not been given permission to talk to Eichel, his agent or doctors.

If that’s the case, a trade would have to start with Rossi and Boldy, and probably include other prospects or multiple first-round picks. Besides the fact that it’s hard to believe that Guerin would mortgage the future and blow a hole through the Wild’s prospect pool, the Wild literally can’t afford to pull off an all-futures trade for Eichel. They’d need significant money going back like Dumba and/or the rights to Fiala in order to execute an Eichel deal.

It makes sense that Sabres GM Kevyn Adams would shoot for the moon this early in the offseason. But it’s hard to buy that any team – Minnesota, Anaheim, Columbus, L.A., Philly – would give up the significant pieces Adams is seeking for a player who’s future could truly be significantly impacted by his injury. Adams’ asking price will likely have to come down as we get closer to the meat of the offseason. If it does and he’s willing to take money back in a trade, the Wild may be a fit. Until then, it’s hard to see how.

Sam Reinhart

If there’s sticker shock as to what Eichel costs, Guerin could turn his attention to Reinhart, the consistent 20-goal scorer who turns 26 in November and tied for 11th in the NHL with 25 goals in 54 games last season. On an aside, he was also minus-28.

But he’s a smart, hard-working, skilled forward who’d help the power play. He’s not the greatest skater and has mostly played wing in his career, which could explain his sub-par faceoff numbers (38.8 percent in his career). The Wild ranked 28th in the faceoff circle last season, so it’d be nice to find somebody who could win a big draw.

Would a Fiala for Reinhart – pending restricted free agent for pending restricted free agent – deal make sense?

Hard to say because Fiala, despite being snakebitten for much of the 2021 playoff round vs. Vegas, has shown he can be a difference-maker.

But we also know the Wild’s biggest need is at center, and right-shot centers, especially, are coveted.

Getting Boldy and Rossi, Dumba as cap dump ( but a experienced RHD) plus a First, I’m not hanging up if I’m Adams 

1- Why would we trade a guy who is specifically being traded because he headed out of contract for a guy who is headed out of contract?

2- Does this guy seriously question if Sam could be a difference maker?

3- Did he also seriously cite +/- like it means anything?

59 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It makes sense that Sabres GM Kevyn Adams would shoot for the moon this early in the offseason. But it’s hard to buy that any team – Minnesota, Anaheim, Columbus, L.A., Philly – would give up the significant pieces Adams is seeking for a player who’s future could truly be significantly impacted by his injury.

This could be negotiation through the media, or it could align pretty well with what I and others have been saying about the injury:  it's a big freaking deal, it's probably the driver of KA's decision to move on from Eichel, and it's going to affect what the Sabres get in return.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Zegras was 9, Dach 3 and Byfield 2.  3OA is in that tier.

This may be true, even if we pretended this was a strong draft year, but there’s a big difference amongst these assets. Zegras, Dach, and Byfield are significantly further along in their development than this year’s 3OA. In addition, they have shown promise (ie less likely to be a bust) after being drafted, 3OA has not. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This could be negotiation through the media, or it could align pretty well with what I and others have been saying about the injury:  it's a big freaking deal, it's probably the driver of KA's decision to move on from Eichel, and it's going to affect what the Sabres get in return.

I don't trade him then. If we can't get a giant return; there's no way to save ticket sales otherwise

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t know how you can think the injury is the primary driver after hearing Jacks words and KAs repeated references to having players that want to be here.

• Like (+1) 3

The sky-high asking price might also be a message from GMKA to Eichel: you may want out and I may want you out, but there is no King of the Land of Fa's version of the Queen Elizabeth Way that he will be pressured into a deal by the Eichel camp.

I personally figure if he gets 5 or more pieces that at least 1 will be a conditional first based on Eichel's games played and such.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan

16 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The sky-high asking price might also be a message from GMKA to Eichel: you may want out and I may want you out, but there is no King of the Land of Fa's version of the Queen Elizabeth Way that he will be pressured into a deal by the Eichel camp.

I personally figure if he gets 5 or more pieces that at least 1 will be a conditional first based on Eichel's games played and such.

OMG - the mystical Land of Fa!  Great memories of morning radio there!  I am not sure what is further away from reality right now....the Land of Fa or Hockey Heaven.

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

OMG - the mystical Land of Fa!  Great memories of morning radio there!  I am not sure what is further away from reality right now....the Land of Fa or Hockey Heaven.

This land of Fa sound interesting.  How is it ruled?  Do they have a Fa Governor?  A Fa President?

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

His injury is not the primary driver of Adams wanting to trade Him, but it will effect the return as you mentioned. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Jack Eichel

Sam Reinhart

Getting Boldy and Rossi, Dumba as cap dump ( but a experienced RHD) insert "Calen Addison", plus a first, I’m not hanging up if I’m Adams.  Dumba would be an adequate asset to take on, but I'd prefer Addison at this stage. 

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t know how you can think the injury is the primary driver after hearing Jacks words and KAs repeated references to having players that want to be here.

It’s certainly possible that Eichel’s attitude is the primary driver. I do think though that KA understands how precious a franchise center is, that he had a front row seat to the ROR debacle and understands what a crippling blow it was, and that as a former player he knows that young players can change their minds and often do when the environment around them improves.  

I also think that KA is smart and ruthless enough to realize that it may be impossible for Jack to regain his prior form and that it therefore may be in the Sabres’ best interests to let somebody else bear the risk and hope for the best on the injury.

I also think that if the injury is KA’s primary driver, it’s in KA’s best interests not to make that known.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This land of Fa sound interesting.  How is it ruled?  Do they have a Fa Governor?  A Fa President?

😉

Does someone have a history of the Land of Fa somewhere?  I can find little clips on YouTube, but it has a history everyone should know on a Buffalo sports board.

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It’s certainly possible that Eichel’s attitude is the primary driver. I do think though that KA understands how precious a franchise center is, that he had a front row seat to the ROR debacle and understands what a crippling blow it was, and that as a former player he knows that young players can change their minds and often do when the environment around them improves.  

I also think that KA is smart and ruthless enough to realize that it may be impossible for Jack to regain his prior form and that it therefore may be in the Sabres’ best interests to let somebody else bear the risk and hope for the best on the injury.

I also think that if the injury is KA’s primary driver, it’s in KA’s best interests not to make that known.  

It seems to me you are ignoring or downplaying actual spoken words and creating another version of events that match your expectations.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Getting Boldy and Rossi, Dumba as cap dump ( but a experienced RHD) insert "Calen Addison", plus a first, I’m not hanging up if I’m Adams.  Dumba would be an adequate asset to take on, but I'd prefer Addison at this stage. 

Need to make the cap work though, three guys on their ELCs are not going to do that unfortunately 

Edited by Brawndo