Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

On 6/26/2021 at 9:20 PM, kas23 said:

Devil’s advocate would say we’ve tried the “surround the youngsters with vets” approach and it didn’t work. Obviously, it depends on which vets and which youngsters. But, merely signing vets isn’t going to move the needle. 

I don't think anyone thinks all we have to do is "sign vets", regardless of ability. 

We assuredly need veteran players - of course they also need to be good. *Any* strategy KA embarks upon requires aptitude.

- - - 

It's actually kinda funny we are just back where we were when we moved ROR - people ready for Casey Mittelstadt to apparently be the 1C. It'll be ok this time, though, as long as we don't make the mistake of adding veteran players like Berglund and Sobotka, who can only be bad, apparently. 

It's interesting how much the perspective has changed based on 21 games of hockey. Jack was an MVP candidate and Casey was hit-or-miss to be a long term NHLer, at all. Now, a mere 21 games later (for Jack) and people are convinced Jack needs to go, and that Casey is good to go as the most important skater on a hockey team that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Aight! 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

[quote]

2. This is what I can tell you about the rumours that Matthew Tkachuk wants out of Calgary: When the news about Seth Jones got around, no one was thrilled it had leaked, but no one denied it. Same for Oliver Ekman-Larsson being available and Dougie Hamilton free to talk to other teams. With Tkachuk, there’ve been firm denials. I do believe the Flames refused to include him in any Pierre-Luc Dubois trade talks last season.

5. Last week was quieter on the Jack Eichel front, but I’d expect that to get going once again when Buffalo hires its head coach. Incumbent Don Granato and Rick Tocchet are among the contenders.

[/quote]

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-blackhawks-must-publicly-address-sexual-assault-allegations/

Edited by WildCard

48 minutes ago, WildCard said:

[quote]

2. This is what I can tell you about the rumours that Matthew Tkachuk wants out of Calgary: When the news about Seth Jones got around, no one was thrilled it had leaked, but no one denied it. Same for Oliver Ekman-Larsson being available and Dougie Hamilton free to talk to other teams. With Tkachuk, there’ve been firm denials. I do believe the Flames refused to include him in any Pierre-Luc Dubois trade talks last season.

5. Last week was quieter on the Jack Eichel front, but I’d expect that to get going once again when Buffalo hires its head coach. Incumbent Don Granato and Rick Tocchet are among the contenders.

[/quote]

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-blackhawks-must-publicly-address-sexual-assault-allegations/

It makes sense to move Eichel only after our HC is named so we can get guys that said coach likes or believes can coach in his system or build his system around. Personally I think the speculation that Eichel is just that, yes we have people calling about him and we're likely having the discussion yet think most teams won't pony up to our demands and Captain Jack will return for the start of the regular season. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

It makes sense to move Eichel only after our HC is named so we can get guys that said coach likes or believes can coach in his system or build his system around. Personally I think the speculation that Eichel is just that, yes we have people calling about him and we're likely having the discussion yet think most teams won't pony up to our demands and Captain Jack will return for the start of the regular season. 

He’ll sit out with neck surgery but he won’t be on the ice for Buffalo.

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

I feel like "cap space offseason" has been a thing for years.

Anyways, that's nothing more than a frightening thought. We are cashing in our best traded pieces with these deals - if they return all futures, we aren't going to be swinging trades for quality now players - we won't have the roster ammunition…if he's looking for all futures, it's because he's going with a youth movement. I

It’s a youth movement, but I think getting all futures is sending a message to GMs. If you think adding Jack to your current roster can get you over some playoff hump, we’d like to talk to you. We aren’t looking to dismantle your current team. It’s certainly a youth movement, but also assurance to a potential trade partner. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://nypost.com/2021/06/28/rangers-interested-in-jack-eichels-condition-in-early-talks/amp/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons&__twitter_impression=true

Summary: Rangers are inquiring about Eichel but all that can be offered is a 7th round pick because all their young players/prospects are apparently God Tier.😆

Just send him out West.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

https://nypost.com/2021/06/28/rangers-interested-in-jack-eichels-condition-in-early-talks/amp/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons&__twitter_impression=true

Summary: Rangers are inquiring about Eichel but all that can be offered is a 7th round pick because all their young players/prospects are apparently God Tier.😆

Just send him out West.

Lol no Kappo, Lafreniere, or Miller ... but hey! We can have some B level crap.  

Lol, they say MILLER and KAKKO are off-limits? I'd look at them as supplementary/throw ins in an Eichel trade lmao 

They're promising players, but they're not in the tier of prospects we're going to need to "settle" on instead of the Zegras/Byfield/Laf tier because of injury 

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

If he is staying in conference than it better hurt really bad for the other team. Rangers fans don’t even want to give up the B level crap.

A writer for the Rangers doesn’t want to give up B level crap.  We don’t know what Drury thinks.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol no Kappo, Lafreniere, or Miller ... but hey! We can have some B level crap.  

I have heard at least three people who cover the Rangers say that under no circumstances will the team give up LaFreniere. Miller is another player that they will be unlikely to deal, while Kappo would be considered in a trade. The Rangers already have a number of top tier young players playing who in the not too distant future will require lucrative contracts. It wouldn't be difficult to fit in Eichel in their current  contract structure but when the other contracts need to be upgraded his hefty long term contract will make it difficult to keep their emerging talents. 

My understanding is that the Rangers have a sizeable talent pool in their system who are not quite ready to play in the NHL. It doesn't seem to me that the Sabres are willing to make a deal where they give up Eichel for mostly futures. The centerpiece of a deal with any team needs to be a young player with a lot of potential who can play right away, even if the player is not ready to immediately play a prominent role. 

Would I be willing to trade Jack to the Rangers for LaFreniere and Kappo/Miller plus their top pick? Yes. Would they? Probably not. 

I want the best return available that makes the Sabres better regardless of what team and conference.  I don't give a crap if people think that "I don't want play Eichel in the second round of the playoffs".    Did you hear what you just said, second round of playoffs.  This team hasn't made the playoffs in ten years.  If getting the best return gets me to the second round of the playoffs, then I want to face Jack and show him that the Sabres are better without him!!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

I want the best return available that makes the Sabres better regardless of what team and conference.  I don't give a crap if people think that "I don't want play Eichel in the second round of the playoffs".    Did you hear what you just said, second round of playoffs.  This team hasn't made the playoffs in ten years.  If getting the best return gets me to the second round of the playoffs, then I want to face Jack and show him that the Sabres are better without him!!!

Ok, but the best return is almost guaranteed not to be in our conference. NYR don't want to trade any of their good prospects. Columbus... lol. Toronto doesn't have the cap. Boston doesn't have the pieces. Can't think of another team that might trade for him outside of those in the east. Carolina could if they really wanted too but it would be unusual for them. Ottawa, Montreal, NYI, Pitt, Florida all don't seem like partners or don't have anything we should trade Jack for. Flyers I suppose could be a team. 

Out west, Anaheim, Vegas, Vancouver, Calgary, Minnesota are all potential spots. LA could even still be in the mix. 

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I still refuse to even entertain the Rangers if I'm Adams. No reason to keep him in the conference and give NYC another reason to look down on Buffalo.

Shiver me timbers! Jack Fookin Eichel in the East!

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I have heard at least three people who cover the Rangers say that under no circumstances will the team give up LaFreniere. Miller is another player that they will be unlikely to deal, while Kappo would be considered in a trade. The Rangers already have a number of top tier young players playing who in the not too distant future will require lucrative contracts. It wouldn't be difficult to fit in Eichel in their current  contract structure but when the other contracts need to be upgraded his hefty long term contract will make it difficult to keep their emerging talents. 

My understanding is that the Rangers have a sizeable talent pool in their system who are not quite ready to play in the NHL. It doesn't seem to me that the Sabres are willing to make a deal where they give up Eichel for mostly futures. The centerpiece of a deal with any team needs to be a young player with a lot of potential who can play right away, even if the player is not ready to immediately play a prominent role. 

Would I be willing to trade Jack to the Rangers for LaFreniere and Kappo/Miller plus their top pick? Yes. Would they? Probably not. 

Really? Because that is almost exactly what the Sabres sound like they are asking for. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Really? Because that is almost exactly what the Sabres sound like they are asking for. 

What the Sabres are asking for is what the Rangers are saying absolutely not to, at least according to what some people who follow the Rangers are saying. 

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ok, but the best return is almost guaranteed not to be in our conference. NYR don't want to trade any of their good prospects. Columbus... lol. Toronto doesn't have the cap. Boston doesn't have the pieces. Can't think of another team that might trade for him outside of those in the east. Carolina could if they really wanted too but it would be unusual for them. Ottawa, Montreal, NYI, Pitt, Florida all don't seem like partners or don't have anything we should trade Jack for. Flyers I suppose could be a team. 

Out west, Anaheim, Vegas, Vancouver, Calgary, Minnesota are all potential spots. LA could even still be in the mix. 

I think Minnesota right for the taking as they have a few vets to re-sign with little cap room to do so, I say take Fiala and another rostered player along with Boldy and another prospect for Jack. I don't like LA because don't see any NHL level players coming back. 

• Like (+1) 1

It seems like a lot of people are ruling out Jack going to certain teams because they don't have the prospects to send back. Just remember it doesn't have to be only two teams involved.

A multi-team trade is certainly more complicated and less likely to happen, but who's not to say Jack can't go to Columbus, Buffalo gets one piece back from Columbus... Columbus sends another piece to a third team, and the third team sends another piece back to Buffalo or something like that.

That could also be why a trade is taking longer, there might be more moving parts than we know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

It seems like a lot of people are ruling out Jack going to certain teams because they don't have the prospects to send back. Just remember it doesn't have to be only two teams involved.

A multi-team trade is certainly more complicated and less likely to happen, but who's not to say Jack can't go to Columbus, Buffalo gets one piece back from Columbus... Columbus sends another piece to a third team, and the third team sends another piece back to Buffalo or something like that.

That could also be why a trade is taking longer, there might be more moving parts than we know.

Columbus: Eichel

Philadelphia: Seth Jones

Buffalo: 5 OA, 13 OA, Konecny, Merzlikins, Patrick

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's the best proposal I've seen in a while.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I can't see Philly giving that much up for Jones but I'm not a big fan of his to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is actually the best of all worlds.  A youngster who can take his time, Konecny is a wing, and in this proposal two picks and a goalie that in this deal is fine! I love this!

• Like (+1) 1