Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He would reject this offer simply because it wasn't good enough. I don't see how rejecting this particular offer is going to drive up other offers. It appears that he has a baseline value return that he is not going to go below for any team. Are offers coming in and increasing as the draft approaches? I don't know. 

Not saying you're wrong, I think you are seeing what you want to see.

It is almost certainly true that the Sabres told them the offer wasn't good enough and they don't feel empowered to go further.

But under the circumstances (the Sabres wanting to trade Eichel) it is more likely they are holding an auction and looking to lever the best offer, as opposed to setting a price and saying "first one to pay it, he's yours."

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Thats why I would want to see Eichel go there.......

It wouldn't help the Sabres and trades are zero sum games. 

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

However miniscule it is, Vegas is going to be our shot at Zegras

Vegas also has Pavel Dorofeyev... which is an interesting prospect to add to the pile of assets. 

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Thats why I would want to see Eichel go there.......

I get being indifferent towards the future circumstances of Jack Eichel. Given all available facts, though, it's tough to square away the animosity that some people already have. It's ugly and not inviting good hockey karma. We all saw what happened the last time the Sabres invited hockey karma with this type of ugliness. We became the only team to be in first place after October (and it was almost December) to miss the NHL playoffs in history (we missed by 20 points) while the guy we wished ill on won everything you can win. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I get being indifferent towards the future circumstances of Jack Eichel. Given all available facts, though, it's tough to square away the animosity that some people already have. It's ugly and not inviting good hockey karma. We all saw what happened the last time the Sabres invited hockey karma with this type of ugliness. We became the only team to be in first place after October (and it was almost December) to miss the NHL playoffs in history (we missed by 20 points) while the guy we wished ill on won everything you can win. 

He wants out, let him go to somewhere as bad or worse.

It wasn't Karma that made the Sabres bad, its the continuous hiring of inexperienced or poor choices to run this team

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Vegas also has Pavel Dorofeyev... which is an interesting prospect to add to the pile of assets. 

I disagree, I think they could get something worthwhile from Columbus for him. They have atleast one Goalie they will need to move and have multiple 1st rounders. If they want a salary dump, they can throw in Lainie too.......

And Im expecting that no matter where he goes, fans are going to be greatly disappointed as to what Adams ends up taking for him

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I disagree, I think they could get something worthwhile from Columbus for him. They have atleast one Goalie they will need to move and have multiple 1st rounders. If they want a salary dump, they can throw in Lainie too.......

And Im expecting that no matter where he goes, fans are going to be greatly disappointed as to what Adams ends up taking for him

Here's my problem. You're not coming at this from the angle of "how do I make the Sabres better" but from the angle "I'm mad at jack and want to punish him". 

Columbus has nothing. Just a few first round picks. That doesn't help the Sabres unless you truly believe the picks are worth more than players. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Agree with the first sentence, however:

• I like Krebs more than Turcotte as well, but that's a personal preference; their, size, skill, age, attitudes, defence and their production is all on a similar level.
  • I think LA might take Tuch over pick 8, but that doesn't mean Buffalo should. Can't remember a top 10 pick ever being traded for a player like Tuch.

I guess what I'm saying is the packages are close enough that the adds matter.

Also, 3OA is head and shoulders above anything above, and anything else we believe to be on the table. And Comtois is no slouch.

There is a reason why Anaheim is believed to be the current focus.

And I believe those are the main pieces of the deal, 3OA is Top Prospect in the Sabres Eyes. Imagine if they draft Elkund first and make Seattle choose between Power and Beniers.  Bader’s Model really likes Elkund. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Columbus can't do better. They're a wasteland of nothing. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Correct, it seems that perhaps Columbus got to a point where the answer to that question was a definite no.

Columbus probably looked at the assets they would have to expend for Eichel and realized a rebuild was the best course. 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Nyet, no Russians 

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Source that Eichel wants out? As far as we know, he has never asked for a trade, and he simply wanted a surgery that he felt would get him on the ice the quickest, and let us know that via a press conference 2 months ago, the only thing we have ever heard from him that deviates from baseline. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

And I believe those are the main pieces of the deal, 3OA is Top Prospect in the Sabres Eyes. Imagine if they draft Elkund first and make Seattle choose between Power and Beniers.  Bader’s Model really likes Elkund. 

I'd rather take Beniers 1st and let Seattle choose between Eklund and Power in that case. We'd win either way.

3OA to me is a solid prospect but not one worth anything near a Zegras/Dach type.

I want a Zegras/Dach type as evidence they don't intend to sit on their hands the next few years hoping to get 1OA again. I want to at least have a slight hope for a playoff berth if things fall a certain way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's my problem. You're not coming at this from the angle of "how do I make the Sabres better" but from the angle "I'm mad at jack and want to punish him". 

Columbus has nothing. Just a few first round picks. That doesn't help the Sabres unless you truly believe the picks are worth more than players. 

1st round picks in this draft are apparently one of the things Adams is looking for in a deal (according to most reports).

Columbus also has goalies available, something else Buffalo needs

Most of the other reports have some of the other teams unwilling to include their best prospects in a deal for Eichel.

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The idea of Eklund #1 is growing on me.

The idea of Eklund and Beniers is why I’m warm to the Anaheim rumours.

If we get “stuck” with Power at #3 or even Guenther, I can live with that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Starting to wonder if Adams isn't pricing himself out of the possible markets. LA is apparently out, now Columbus is out, so Anaheim? Maybe Vegas bowing out to Montreal peaks their interest in a change/addition.

LA is not out - And if anyone can afford to lose center prospects its them.    Would they risk Eichel going to Anaheim ? 

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

LA is not out - And if anyone can afford to lose center prospects its them.    Would they risk Eichel going to Anaheim ? 

If LA made a decision that it’s not in their best interest to give up the assets required to  acquire Eichel, then I can’t see them changing their mind and making a push to get him just to stop Anaheim from getting him.  It will be a trade that alters the course of a franchise and could be a career defining trade for a GM.  They have to actually want it, it’s not going to be done just to stop someone else from doing it.

That would be a pretty backwards way to run a team.

Also, I honestly believe that there are some teams out there with limited interest in Eichel due to their opinion of him as a person, and perhaps LA is one of them.

That being said, the LA out stuff could just be a smoke screen.

Edited by Curt

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Starting to wonder if Adams isn't pricing himself out of the possible markets. LA is apparently out, now Columbus is out, so Anaheim? Maybe Vegas bowing out to Montreal peaks their interest in a change/addition.

I think Adams is in a no-win situation with the Eichel trade, at least with the fan base. Many posters on this board are banging the drum to get multiple top prospects or picks and if they can't get it now to hold out for it until you do. Yet some stories seem to say Adams is asking for that and other teams are dropping out left and right.

The reality is Eichel may want out and the sabres may want him out for reasons we don't know of, but the return that many expect simply may not be there. 

If Adams doesn't trade Eichel soon after everything that's gone down, a segment of the fan base will be upset with him for waiting too long to trade him. On the other hand if he does trade them and doesn't get a huge return, a different segment of the fan base will be showing up at the arena with torches and pitchforks.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I think Adams is in a no-win situation with the Eichel trade, at least with the fan base. Many posters on this board are banging the drum to get multiple top prospects or picks and if they can't get it now to hold out for it until you do. Yet some stories seem to say Adams is asking for that and other teams are dropping out left and right.

The reality is Eichel may want out and the sabres may want him out for reasons we don't know of, but the return that many expect simply may not be there. 

If Adams doesn't trade Eichel soon after everything that's gone down, a segment of the fan base will be upset with him for waiting too long to trade him. On the other hand if he does trade them and doesn't get a huge return, a different segment of the fan base will be showing up at the arena with torches and pitchforks.

The reality may also mean don’t believe everything you read in the media.  Teams have an incentive to say one thing publicly and then do another.  This is Jack freaking Eichel.  I know there is the injury issue but there’s also a decent chance in 6 months he’s back to being a top 10 nhl player.  

It would be absurd to trade him for that Columbus package.  We CANNOT have another ROR trade.  That will set this franchise back years…

• Like (+1) 4

Good a franchise center shouldn't come free

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

1st round picks in this draft are apparently one of the things Adams is looking for in a deal (according to most reports).

Columbus also has goalies available, something else Buffalo needs

Most of the other reports have some of the other teams unwilling to include their best prospects in a deal for Eichel.

Again you're still missing 2 of the 4 pieces for Columbus to work. You got 1 first rounder, 1 nhl goalie... 0 prospects of any note, no good nhl roster player coming back. 

Columbus sucked as a trade partner which is why they're out. Maybe it's a sign Adams isn't as dumb as some suggest. 

Columbus never had a chance, so no concern there. There's no realistic package I would've liked from them.

L.A. is a wildcard, so who knows. Vegas losing is definitely to our advantage. Anaheim I'm sure is still very much in it. There's likely 2-3 other teams in this no one has talked about.

I'm glad Adams hasn't accepted the first volley. I'm sure ANA is trying to get away with pick 3 as the centerpiece, while keeping Zegras. I want Adams to fight for the right return. He has leverage on ANA. They aren't getting another shot at Eichel after this summer.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

The idea of Eklund #1 is growing on me.

The idea of Eklund and Beniers is why I’m warm to the Anaheim rumours.

If we get “stuck” with Power at #3 or even Guenther, I can live with that.

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF