Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

When compared to what Toronto paid for Foligno, it’s disappointing but what exactly you think happened? Edmonton offered two firsts and KA said no, I’d rather take Boston’s offer? Or did three or four GM’s that could afford Hall and are competing against each other all say let’s get together and see who can screw Buffalo?

They got the best they could get. The only reason anyone expected more is because some Twitter account with ten followers told them so.

I expected more because the market said he was worth more because of the Foligno deal.  At least he could have gotten another late pick or a conditional 1st such as Stanley Cup or re-signing like Jbot did in the Kane deal.

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Why doesn't anyone seem to notice the thing that makes this trade so awful is essentially tossing a million or so in cap space the next few seasons straight into Lake Erie for a guy in Bjork who is in no way a million bucks better than Lazar?

No, I posted up thread that trading Lazar for Bjork straight up would be a bad trade and that the Bjork was more expensive, doesn't player center and isn't as productive for twice as much money.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I expected more because the market said he was worth more because of the Foligno deal.  At least he could have gotten another late pick or a conditional 1st such as Stanley Cup or re-signing like Jbot did in the Kane deal.

The market did not say he was worth more because of the Foligno deal. Your argument only holds up if Foligno and Hall are similar players.

As to the bold, how? I'm always baffled when people say "we should have got more" in these situations. You hold an auction, you take what you perceive to be the highest bid.

9 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Why doesn't anyone seem to notice the thing that makes this trade so awful is essentially tossing a million or so in cap space the next few seasons straight into Lake Erie for a guy in Bjork who is in no way a million bucks better than Lazar?

This is bang on, and what I was alluding to as well, when I said I liked the deal better without the throw-ins, and what @Thorny was saying too.

I think what we will see when the Sabres start talking about this deal is how much they like Bjork, and how much untapped potential they think he has.

And all we can do is be skeptical based on his numbers and the Sabres track record and hope we are wrong and they are right.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The market did not say he was worth more because of the Foligno deal. Your argument only holds up if Foligno and Hall are similar players.

As to the bold, how? I'm always baffled when people say "we should have got more" in these situations. You hold an auction, you take what you perceive to be the highest bid.

Are Foligno and Hall not both top 6 wingers?  Isn't Hall the younger, faster and the more productive player the last 1, 2, 3 & 4 years?  Honest Hall should have been worth more then Foligno. Obviously you believe and maybe correctly that our GMs have zero negotiating skills and that every time we make a bad deal that it was the only offer on the table and that the other side said take it or leave it.  If that is the case then Jbot should be absolved for the terrible ROR trade.  Under your reasoning that was the best deal available at that time.  

Why do other GMs make better deadline deals?  Do we just wait to long, lack negotiating skills, have zero clue how to create a market for our players etc?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm so confused, how did the Leafs give up a 1st+4th for Nick Foligno who has 3 less points than Hall yet we retained half Halls slalary and threw in Lazar and only get a 2nd and some shitbird who nobody has ever heard of? It's inexcusable. We need a solid GM who's been there before along with a HC who's coached before. Why would we take on another rookie GM, this trade was bush league. Montour/Hall/Lazar has only netted us a 2nd/3rd and some tool who'll probably never suit up for us. 

Foligno was not acquired for his point totals. he brings what they lack. They are a much better playoff team now. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I personally think everyone is over valuing Lazar. Bjork has some skills and is very fast. Will fit in with an uptempo style. Could be a good winger for Mitts as he is emerging.

OR, they expect Seattle to take him............

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Obviously you believe and maybe correctly that our GMs have zero negotiating skills and that every time we make a bad deal that it was the only offer on the table and that the other side said take it or leave it.  If that is the case then Jbot should be absolved for the terrible ROR trade.  Under your reasoning that was the best deal available at that time.  

Why do other GMs make better deadline deals?  Do we just wait to long, lack negotiating skills, have zero clue how to create a market for our players etc?

I certainly don't believe the bold (other than maybe the negotiating part). I believe Adams tried to set up a bidding war and that he almost certainly had other offers on the table. And after all that, this was the one he chose, because this was the one he thought had the most value. No GM with the possible exception of Sweeney thought Hall was worth beating Bjork and a 2nd and Sweeney didn't have to beat it.

There was no real deadline on the ROR deal. Whether it was Botterill or Pegula that created one, they did not actually have to take the best offer available. With the Hall deal, they did.

The irony of the ROR deal is how many stupid GMs could have and should have beat that offer. You think MOntreal wouldn't have been better off with O'Reilly than Kotkaniemi?

Edited by dudacek

I think the Bruins actually wanted Palmeiri but weren't willing to gamble on Hall but then they got pasted 8-1 by the Caps so they came back to the table. 

It will be interesting to see if Hall gets their PP going. It's died recently and Pasternak is struggling 5 on 5 so Hall might just be a perfect fit for them - IF he plays hard. Big IF. 

• Like (+1) 2

My disappointment with this trade is that Lazar is straight up better than a joke. In points. In energy. In skill set for a bottom six forward. In contract. And is only a year older

That means we got less than a second for Hall.

I understand Adams didn’t turn down better offers, but when Foligno gets a first and fourth, and we get a second for a historically better player who is historically under achieving this year and still statistically better than Foligno - that’s disappointing.

And for people decrying people complaining about the anger that a JAG fourth liner was traded - poor asset management is why we are we’re we are. And if you poorly manage part of your roster, you poorly manage it all.

• Like (+1) 1

Meh, they got what they could get.

Hall is Boston's problem now. He didn't do jack all here.

A 2nd? Sure, why not. After all it's not me spending 50 percent of his pro rated 8 million dollar contract to allow him to play for another team. 

Lazar I did like. Tenacious player. Hopefully the player were getting back has some upside.

In the end it's one disaster after another for this team. Just amazing at how bad it's been.

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t know a damned thing about Bjork. But I’m nearly 100% certain we are a worse team today than we were yesterday..... for the 10th season in a row.

Lets establish that winning culture.  Boston gets it, Buffalo doesn’t.  And the fanbase accepts it as inevitable and acceptable.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Weave said:

Don’t know a damned thing about Bjork. But I’m nearly 100% certain we are a worse team today than we were yesterday..... for the 10th season in a row.

Lets establish that winning culture.  Boston gets it, Buffalo doesn’t.  And the fanbase accepts it as inevitable and acceptable.

Not acceptable at all. Definitely inevitable.

The Pegulas and their ***** show.  They somehow make it more and more difficult to care each day. There is no bottom.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Losing Hall and Lazar doesn't move the needle any imo. A 2nd and bottom 6 player, sure why not.

The kids look to be stabilizing the compete level. That being said, I am concerned about further moves,such as Reinhart, Risto and others. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Read some of the experts, not the internet jokers. They all expected no better then a third for Hall. His $8M salary, his lackluster play. Do you really think he turned down a #1? Three teams were bidding and all stood firm. 
The Foligno deal is the same as Gaustad. Paying for intangibles.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.