Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If Granato is The Prospect Whisperer, maybe that would be okay.  Sign Ullmark, Keep Eich and Reino around, and let Granato work his majick on the youngins.

The bolded is a concern.  They need to be more than “kept around”.  They need to be star players, befitting of their draft status, if this team is going to be a solid playoff team.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The bolded is a concern.  They need to be more than “kept around”.  They need to be star players, befitting of their draft status, if this team is going to be a solid playoff team.  

If you don’t think Jack Eichel is a star player, we can’t really have a conversation.  The whole “Reinhart was drafted 2nd overall, he needs to play like it” trope is the most tired take on Sabrespace.  He’s a good player. Arguably, the 2nd best of his draft class.  Let. It. Go.  

• Like (+1) 3

If they didn't trade Hall at the deadline, what were the chances that he would've re-signed this summer?  And would we have wanted him to?  His work ethic and productivity THIS year contributed to his low trade value.  I'll miss Lazar, but he was a 4th liner or extra forward on the worst team in the league.  So he was basically a throw in to the deal.  I haven't seen much of Bjork to know if he is worth anything, but he is playing good minutes on a good Boston team as a bottom six guy.  So who know what he does here.  If KA were to get a 1st round pick for Hall, it would've been a low 1st rounder which basically equates to a 2nd rounder in the NHL.  I think it was a wet dream to think that he would've received a 1st rounder for Hall at $8 Mill...

Edited by John Tucker
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

To be honest, I don't blame KA.  I blame XHCRFK.  The optimistic view of Taylor some had when we signed him was dashed on the rocks by Krueger's terrible, awful, pathetic excuse for a system and even worse player usage.  Any value Hall might have had was ruined by RFK.  The last game Hall played for the Sabres he was on the Mitts line and he actually looked good.  He set up Mitts for a goal by receiving a breakout pass from Dahlin deep in the Sabres zone then quickly getting it to a breaking Mittelstadt and jumping up into the play to force the D man to play the pass, giving Mitts a good shot that he converted.  Granato was starting to get Hall to look decent, but after the season he had under Krueger, he was already pegged at pretty much worthless.

And yet Hall came here because of RK who knew him well from their time together in Edmonton

Hall is living off his name being a former 1st overall and having one really good season in NJ a couple years ago.

He was horrible here and did nothing to help make this a better team. He might be better if he can play a lower role and be a 2nd/3rd liner where he isn't expected to have to carry a team. This is the 4th team to basically give up on him and move on

Saying that, he will probably come out to the public now talking about how greatful he is to get to go to a contender like Boston and actually play well, probably get a few hat tricks  against Buffalo just because

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I must be completely missing the point about the retained salary. He’s on a one-year contract. Who cares? It doesn’t affect the team one iota moving forward and it’s Terry’s money. Who was going to deal us back a worthwhile, high dollar player  (since the team trading for a Hall would be still in the hunt) in order for the receiving team to fit Hall under the cap?

Never reported a topic before, didnt know, will do from now on though if it comes to this point again.

5 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

If they didn't trade Hall at the deadline, what were the chances that he would've re-signed this summer?  And would we have wanted him to?  His work ethic and productivity THIS year contributed to his low trade value.  I'll miss Lazar, but he was a 4th liner or extra forward on the worst team in the league.  So he was basically a throw in to the deal.  I haven't seen much of Bjork to know if he is worth anything, but he is playing good minutes on a good Boston team as a bottom six guy.  So who know what he does here.  If KA were to get a 1st round pick for Hall, it would've been a low 1st rounder which basically equates to a 2nd rounder in the NHL.  I think it was a wet dream to think that he would've received a 1st rounder for Hall at $8 Mill...

4 million,  not 8. We are half the salary.

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

The real problem for Kevyn Adams isn’t the return - Hall is terrible, and plays like he’s washed.

The real problem for Kevyn Adams is that he signed Hall, and paid him millions of Terry’s money, and Hall is terrible and plays like he’s washed.

Let’s not forget that Bots was fired in the middle of a rebuild, shortly after getting a vote of confidence - remember Kim’s sees and knows things that we poor fans don’t.  

Eichel talks to Kevyn Adams and says “we need more veterans “ and “it’s hard to win without veterans “   So here comes Staahl, Hall, Eakin, Reider, and Irwin.   Only Jack Eichel never really appears in 2021,  and we still don’t address goaltending, and we learn that our coach doesn’t understand today’s game and is hurting player development.   

The real problem for Adams is he listened to Ralph, and Jack, and now maybe Granato - because without input he just might not have a strategy of his own?    

What qualifies Adams for the job?   So far the only answer is that the Pegula’s like and trust him.   All that means is he will listen to them and offer little resistance.  From a Hockey Operations standpoint his resume is severely lacking   

I liked lazar a lot, but i am glad he was able to get out of this nightmare. hopefully he is able to play there a good amount and become a winner. 

Personally i don't understand why the sabres agreed to this trade, but honestly, i dont care enough to think about it again 

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

If you don’t think Jack Eichel is a star player, we can’t really have a conversation.  The whole “Reinhart was drafted 2nd overall, he needs to play like it” trope is the most tired take on Sabrespace.  He’s a good player. Arguably, the 2nd best of his draft class.  Let. It. Go.  

The word "star" used to mean something.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I must be completely missing the point about the retained salary. He’s on a one-year contract. Who cares? It doesn’t affect the team one iota moving forward and it’s Terry’s money. Who was going to deal us back a worthwhile, high dollar player  (since the team trading for a Hall would be still in the hunt) in order for the receiving team to fit Hall under the cap?

I think the issue/concern is that by retaining salary (which everyone assumed they would be doing anyways) the return was going to be that much greater, but seeing Halls production this year, this probably was an upgrade to any original offer they would have gotten otherwise and the only thing making him tradeable. this was always going to be an underwhelming deal and more of a 'get an asset for something your gonna lose in the offseason'.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Let’s not forget that Bots was fired in the middle of a rebuild, shortly after getting a vote of confidence - remember Kim’s sees and knows things that we poor fans don’t.  

Eichel talks to Kevyn Adams and says “we need more veterans “ and “it’s hard to win without veterans “   So here comes Staahl, Hall, Eakin, Reider, and Irwin.   Only Jack Eichel never really appears in 2021,  and we still don’t address goaltending, and we learn that our coach doesn’t understand today’s game and is hurting player development.   

The real problem for Adams is he listened to Ralph, and Jack, and now maybe Granato - because without input he just might not have a strategy of his own?    

What qualifies Adams for the job?   So far the only answer is that the Pegula’s like and trust him.   All that means is he will listen to them and offer little resistance.  From a Hockey Operations standpoint his resume is severely lacking   

Why are you throwing eichel under the bus? Krueger clearly drove player acquisition 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Curtis Lazar has somehow turned into Essa Tikanen in the span of 9 hours.  I liked him too but he’s completely replaceable, in every aspect.  

It's not that he's a superstar, it's that we gave him away in exchange for a liability in Bjork. I'd have rather taken nothing.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

Who the ***** is Shayna and why should I care about her opinion? 

A quick look at her profile shows she’s a pretty in-touch hockey analyst with 21,000 people who are interested enough in what she has to say to follow her. Let’s be better than “who is this person I disagree with their opinion doesn’t matter because I didn’t know her name?”

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.