Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My expectation as well.

Which most likely means Adams has already settled in on keeping Granato and we're about to see the same exhaustive coaching search the Sabres went through prior to taking the interim label off Rolston (who also was quite experienced at coaching young players, had a brother that played in the NHL, and had the team playing better & looser while wearing that interim label than his predecessor had the team playing; hopefully that's it for the similarities).  Suppose it could be they want to wait until they've figured out if the relationship with Eichel is mendable to decide which direction to go for the next head coach, which would be disappointing as good candidates will be gone before that process is completed.

3rd possibility is that the Sabres don't want Gallant due to his reputation of being a guy that's a PITA for his bosses.

Would not hate having Granato back but if it's because they've already made up their mind, it would flash HUGE warning signs.

Do you think Adams and Granato were blowing smoke about the Sabres' coaching hiring process?

Both were very clear about saying the team will be speaking to numerous candidates.

47 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

However, they did trade ROR for a cast of supporting players to help build around for the next few seasons while MacKinnon developed (and they drafted other studs). Maybe Eichel is the ROR and Cozens is the MacKinnon. (Play style-wise they're likely reversed.)

I'm not sure how well this fits as ROR was a 50p guy at the time not 80p like Eichel, and MacKinnon was a 50p guy too and Cozens is just breaking in and doesn't have the ceiling like Eichel and MacKinnon do 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm not sure how well this fits as ROR was a 50p guy at the time not 80p like Eichel, and MacKinnon was a 50p guy too and Cozens is just breaking in and doesn't have the ceiling like Eichel and MacKinnon do 

More of just clearing out the seemingly discontent player while the next one grows up and develops. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison as ROR also wanted a big shiny new contract and Colorado was not interested in giving him top-line money, Colorado also had Landeskog as the captain, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you think Adams and Granato were blowing smoke about the Sabres' coaching hiring process?

Both were very clear about saying the team will be speaking to numerous candidates.

Hope they weren't, but until we have evidence of the search actually bringing in candidates, they might have been.

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hope they weren't, but until we have evidence of the search actually bringing in candidates, they might have been.

They also mentioned bringing in scouts and have not done so. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They also mentioned bringing in scouts and have not done so. 

Good point.

But, in fairness on that front, most all scouts worth having are under contract through the draft.

They become FAs right after it.  So, there really haven't been many/ any experienced scouts available since extremely briefly after the bloodletting.  And that was while cashflow would've been tight (if cash flow was a contributing factor to the axing of most of the hockey department), so they probably weren't all that eager to restaff when they could've (& should've) done so. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Good point.

But, in fairness on that front, most all scouts worth having are under contract through the draft.

They become FAs right after it.  So, there really haven't been many/ any experienced scouts available since extremely briefly after the bloodletting.  And that was while cashflow would've been tight (if cash flow was a contributing factor to the axing of most of the hockey department), so they probably weren't all that eager to restaff when they could've (& should've) done so. 

Fair, I just think it somewhat pushes the boundaries of credulity to suggest that, considering how barren our department is, that there wasn't *one* useful scouting voice they could/could have brought in. 

I'm wondering if all threads in terms of potential additions end in Karmanos, this offseason, and that he represents the entirety of our organizational shift

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Fair, I just think it somewhat pushes the boundaries of credulity to suggest that, considering how barren our department is, that there wasn't *one* useful scouting voice they could/could have brought in. 

I'm wondering if all threads in terms of potential additions end in Karmanos, this offseason, and that he represents the entirety of our organizational shift

Wouldn't that be a kick in the shorts if it is.

For all the superficial similarities of Adams/Granato to Beane/McDermott, 1 big remaining difference is both football guys that were inexperienced in their new roles brought in MANY experienced guys to help them.  That makes a difference & doubt McBeane would've been nearly as successful without those sounding/planning boards.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Rangers have been granted permission to speak with Gerard Gallant re: their vacant coaching position, per Dreger.

Has Adams sought permission to speak with anyone at this stage? Does the "thorough" search involve analysis and interview or just the passage of time?

I always wonder how this info gets into reporters hands.  DId the team volunteer this info?  What would their motivation be?  To get another candidate to make a decision?  Did Gallant's camp release it?  Would he be trying to get another team to get off their ass?

I always assume ulterior motives with teams and agents.

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well, they did hire one scout (months ago), and a director of hockey systems, or some such title (and promptly fired him) 😜

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I always wonder how this info gets into reporters hands.  DId the team volunteer this info?  What would their motivation be?  To get another candidate to make a decision?  Did Gallant's camp release it?  Would he be trying to get another team to get off their ass?

Absolutely. I mean some of it is probably just "did you hear" and some comes from some digging.

But most of it is calculated to push an agenda. The reporters know it, but they use it to keep the taps flowing.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Reports almost always come from the agents. In this case it’d probably be Gallant’s agent because he needs to make it clear to other potential clients that he’s working hard and landing interviews for his client.

The only other motivation, which is unlikely, is the Rangers leaking it to pressure Vegas into allowing the interview to happen.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely. I mean some of it is probably just "did you hear" and some comes from some digging.

But most of it is calculated to push an agenda. The reporters know it, but they use it to keep the taps flowing.

Yup. There’s a decent split between digging and just knowing the right people. Guys will get random calls/texts about things they’ve never heard about. Sometimes it’s a direct enough source to run with it and sometimes they need more to verify. The reporters are also generally aware when they’re being used to put out false or misleading info but that’s the price they pay for the other accurate free info they get fed by those sources.

29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Wait, a first-time GM isn't being supervised / assisted by someone with 30 years of experience?  

Glen Sather is still around and Drury does have more hockey experience than Adam’s, for the record.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Hoss said:

Love that for him. His brother is the GM of the Dolphins. Clearly a smart family. And Mike Grier has a high place in hockey history already.

Great hire. I'd have liked to see Grier either in Buffalo, or here in Seattle to help a fledgling franchise get up to speed.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Glen Sather is still around and Drury does have more hockey experience than Adam’s, for the record.

Glen Sather would be reviled here as a fossil.  Look what happens when Boudreau, Babcock, Gallant, et al are brought up as coaching candidates.

There is no fanbase more critical of its team than this one, except perhaps for the Rangers/Knicks fanbase.

Edited by Eleven

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Glen Sather would be reviled here as a fossil.  Look what happens when Boudreau, Babcock, Gallant, et al are brought up as coaching candidates.

There is no fanbase more critical of its team than this one, except perhaps for the Rangers/Knicks fanbase.

There are definitely more critical fanbases. The Sabres might be in the top 15/20 but they’re definitely not competing with some fanbases.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

There are definitely more critical fanbases. The Sabres might be in the top 15/20 but they’re definitely not competing with some fanbases.

Not many. Of course forums such as this may not representative of the general fan base. Add to this I think negative or upset people tend to be more vocal.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Plop this decade of Pegula owned Sabres hockey in any other city, and the fanbase would be as angry/critical, if not worse. 

• Like (+1) 2