Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

19 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Not saying it would have been a good idea, but if Iafallo(local boy) had hit FA, I'm sure the Sabres would have gone hard after him.  

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31243971/los-angeles-kings-forward-alex-iafallo-agree-4-year-16m-extension

We need Iafallo's and Laughton's of the world.  In the worst way.  I think Sam Bennett would be an interesting target too, but not for 2 second round picks.

9 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

We need Iafallo's and Laughton's of the world.  In the worst way.  I think Sam Bennett would be an interesting target too, but not for 2 second round picks.

Why would Sam 27 points Bennett be an interesting target?

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Meh, we've got 3rd and 4th line left wings all over. Olofsson, Bjork, Zemgus, Asplund. 

We just flipped a fourth line left winger for a second round draft choice.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Sabres "tragic number" is five - meaning any combo of them missing out on points or the fourth-place team in the division getting points that adds up to five eliminates them.

I kinda feel that the team's season began after firing RK...and considering they are without Jack, McCabe and Borgen they have faired really well. The difference and improvement has been refreshing and gives hope. I do wonder if bringing in a new coach who is more of a "badass" may end up again hurting the team's (and Dahlin's) progress? They seem comfortable and inspired playing for Granato... 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, SDS said:

We just flipped a fourth line left winger for a second round draft choice.

This is extreme. 

4th liners don't score at a 42 point (second line) pace on a bad team 

What's Sam, at 53, a 3rd liner?

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

This is extreme. 

4th liners don't score at a 42 point (second line) pace on a bad team 

What's Sam, at 53, a 3rd liner?

It was purely a joke. No serious thought was put into it.

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

First you said he has 27 points this year. Now he only has 12?

No I didn't. I called him Sam 27 Points Bennett. That's because his career average is 27 points. In a 4 year period he went 36, 26, 26, 27 hence why I called him that. You can easily google Sam Bennett and see how many points he currently has so that is on you for thinking he has 27 points this year.  

He's a 3rd liner at best and he plays LW. We don't need him and shouldn't waste capspace bringing him to the team.

Edited by LGR4GM

Just now, SDS said:

Honestly couldn't tell right now 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No I didn't. I called him Sam 27 Points Bennett. That's because his career average is 27 points. In a 4 year period he went 36, 26, 26, 27 hence why I called him that. You can easily google Sam Bennett and see how many points he currently has. 

He's a 3rd liner at best and he plays LW. We don't need him and shouldn't waste capspace bringing him to the team.

I'm surprised he fell THAT short of draft expectations. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

That doesn’t sound good at all. 😬LOL

No, it's nothing to do with your posts, and Hall obviously wasn't very good. 

I just see "Hall is a 4th liner" as about as much of a stretch as I do the idea that Granato should be head coach next year, or that Anders Bjork should be on our top line next year, or that Adams did a great job this past offseason while simultaneously doing a great job selling off what he bought, all while fielding a last place team. Things DO seem to be trending in a positive direction with the team but there's a locomotive that seems to be picking up speed at a rapid rate, and there's still a fair few curves on the road right up ahead. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

No, it's nothing to do with your posts, and Hall obviously wasn't very good. 

I just see "Hall is a 4th liner" as about as much of a stretch as I do the idea that Granato should be head coach next year, or that Anders Bjork should be on our top line next year, or that Adams did a great job this past offseason while simultaneously doing a great job selling off what he bought, all while fielding a last place team. Things DO seem to be trending in a positive direction with the team but there's a locomotive that seems to be picking up speed at a rapid rate, and there's still a fair few curves on the road right up ahead. 

Speaking strictly for myself, "at the time I thought Adams made some good moves bringing in Hall and Staal, boy was I wrong" and "I'm glad he sold off the players who weren't coming back for whatever he could get even though I wish he could have gotten more."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Speaking strictly for myself, "at the time I thought Adams made some good moves bringing in Hall and Staal, boy was I wrong" and "I'm glad he sold off the players who weren't coming back for whatever he could get even though I wish he could have gotten more."

We see it the same way

3 hours ago, SDS said:

If I've learned anything from this site, always put an emoji on your jokes because the Thorny's of the world don't have your same sense of humor. 😀

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I wouldn't put all the blame on Adams' offseason moves without the caveat that Jack was biotching because he was sick of losing and they needed to add vets to the lineup. Then Jack coming up less than the guy we expected to start the season and never really getting better before his latest injury. So they added a temp 2nd line C in Stall and what they expected to be a still very good player in Hall, most of the other adds were to correct what was a historically bad PK from the year before and if nothing else they are better this year in that area. Covid and the other injuries just decimated the team who's biggest faults was a lack of depth on the team. As for him keeping RK, you had Jack and Risto both proclaiming him to be the best coach they ever had. What new GM is going to fire him after that?? I think they expected the Jack line to provide most of the scoring and the PP to not evaporate in nothingness and the rest of the team to improve.

Overall the best thing that might have happened to this team is all of that snowballing into this season's disaster and giving all the kids free reign to show what they actually have to offer, which would never have happened which needed additional patience on the team that Jack wasn't willing to live thru again. So with all of that said we'll see what he does from now on in that he'll have some rope to play with especially if the good play by the team continues to the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, jsb said:

If I've learned anything from this site, always put an emoji on your jokes because the Thorny's of the world don't have your same sense of humor😀

I wouldn't put all the blame on Adams' offseason moves without the caveat that Jack was biotching because he was sick of losing and they needed to add vets to the lineup. Then Jack coming up less than the guy we expected to start the season and never really getting better before his latest injury. So they added a temp 2nd line C in Stall and what they expected to be a still very good player in Hall, most of the other adds were to correct what was a historically bad PK from the year before and if nothing else they are better this year in that area. Covid and the other injuries just decimated the team who's biggest faults was a lack of depth on the team. As for him keeping RK, you had Jack and Risto both proclaiming him to be the best coach they ever had. What new GM is going to fire him after that?? I think they expected the Jack line to provide most of the scoring and the PP to not evaporate in nothingness and the rest of the team to improve.

Overall the best thing that might have happened to this team is all of that snowballing into this season's disaster and giving all the kids free reign to show what they actually have to offer, which would never have happened which needed additional patience on the team that Jack wasn't willing to live thru again. So with all of that said we'll see what he does from now on in that he'll have some rope to play with especially if the good play by the team continues to the end of the season. 

I take offence to this

😉