Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

53 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

How does Tampa manage this with the cap? They must be doing something sneaky.

Not worse than Kucherov being on LTIR all year, and then allowed to come back for the playoffs when there is no salary cap!   That is BS and the league should step in and put a stop to it. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Not worse than Kucherov being on LTIR all year, and then allowed to come back for the playoffs when there is no salary cap!   That is BS and the league should step in and put a stop to it. 

Remember 2006-7 when the Sabres had Connolly and Afinogenov ready to return early in round 1 and the NHL said there would be a cap penalty if they played before round 2, so we had to trade Biron and forced to play them in the last 2 games?  This is fecenine.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

ROR just scored the sickest OT goal.

Ryan O'Reilly, quit on his team, because he lost his smile.  He can eternally shove it.  He's the biggest bold face lying scrub I've seen wear a Sabres uniform.  Yes, we were bad, yes he never "said he wanted to be traded", but he did decry like a whimpering little soft shelled egg of a player.  Congrats, on your success, but this bridge is burned, both because of his exit, and the return we got stuck with.  Tage Thompson, is trash.  Sobotka is out of the league as is Berglund.  Ryan Johnson is the only piece with any upside.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Ryan O'Reilly, quit on his team, because he lost his smile.  He can eternally shove it.  He's the biggest bold face lying scrub I've seen wear a Sabres uniform.  Yes, we were bad, yes he never "said he wanted to be traded", but he did decry like a whimpering little soft shelled egg of a player.  Congrats, on your success, but this bridge is burned, both because of his exit, and the return we got stuck with.  Tage Thompson, is trash.  Sobotka is out of the league as is Berglund.  Ryan Johnson is the only piece with any upside.  

He never quit on this team. He is the same player now that he was while he was on the Sabres.

I have hated this team more than I hate ROR,… in that I don't hate him. The Sabres caused me to lose my love of the game, FFS.

Granato is restoring some of my faith.

Tage is not trash.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Tage is not trash.

He started playing a regular shift on March 29.

In those 7 games he has 3G, 2A, 5P +4, averaging about 16 minutes and 3.5 shots a game as the Sabres have gone 3/2/2, playing with two guys who were in the minor leagues last year.

Small sample size, but that's not even close to trash.

That's on top of the 14/9/23/+11 in his past 27 AHL games.

My eye test says he has skill. I think Tage is going to be a player.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In those 7 games he has 3G, 2A, 5P +4, averaging about 16 minutes and 3.5 shots a game as the Sabres have gone 3/2/2, playing with two guys who were in the minor leagues last year.

He's been showing signs this past stretch of finally finding the coordination he needs.  Took Chara seemingly forever to gain that and now it seems like he's been a beast for forever.

If he really gets comfortable in that monster frame, he could be a player.  Imagine how much better the future looks if he and Mittelstadt end up top 6ers & Asplund can be Jochen Hecht (a 3rd line winger that can satisfactorily fill in at any spot & w/ good enough linemates can even look good on a top line)?

(But 10 years of this "what if" game have gotten old.)

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Curt said:

Nope.  You mean 6 goals in 3 starts.

JJ w/ COL...

3 games, 2-0-1, 2.13 GAA, .921 sv%

Gee, good thing BUF spent years developing him so they could get a 5th round pick, smh.

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

JJ w/ COL...

3 games, 2-0-1, 2.13 GAA, .921 sv%

Gee, good thing BUF spent years developing him so they could get a 5th round pick, smh.

Lol, I'd say I think 95% of your takes are wrong. Lots of goalies can play 2 good games with a team like Colorado in front. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

What is encouraging about Tage beyond his shot is his willingness to battle on the boards. Much of that improvement can be attributed to being better equipped because of his physical maturation and offseason work ethic that has allowed him to handle the rigors of that part of the game. What is even more encouraging is that he is now showing a willingness to not shy away from having a net presence where he has converted some rebounds. 

This season has been tough to stomach. If there is a positive side to this fiasco it is that especially under Granato young players such as Mitts, Dahlin, Joki, Asplund, Tage and Cousins are forming a young core to build around. These players show that our cupboard was not empty so much as it was mismanaged and squandered. 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Baby Kiss GIF by Zoo Knoxville

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Baby Kiss GIF by Zoo Knoxville

After the second day of the bar exam, my father drove me downtown so that I could party with some friends (one of whom drove me back).  He stopped at the zoo, right near the giraffes.  He asked, "I've been wondering, how do giraffes *****?"  Since I was anxious to blow off some steam after seven weeks of doing nothing but studying, I got him to move on.  But the question still bothers me to this day.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Caps are thumping the Bruins right now, 6-0 after 40 mins. Sheary with his 9th and 10th of the year. 

Screw him, and his weird name, and his weird face.  Spell your name like you say it, already.

EDIT:  In case he couldn't get more plastic-paddy Southie than I thought, he actually married a woman yclept Jordan Sullivan.  Geez.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol, I'd say I think 95% of your takes are wrong. Lots of goalies can play 2 good games with a team like Colorado in front. 

Pi has several layers. On the top layer, some absurdity that can be "proven wrong" most of the time. On the second layer, a core underlying truth driving his conclusions that is right 90% of the time on a large enough timescale. On the third layer, brilliant knack for meshing genuine trolling with serious discussion such that the transition is often seamless if not simultaneous. On the 4th layer, scars from his glory days in the NCAA, along with the dirty stache look he dons in reverence of Aust*n Matthews 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Screw him, and his weird name, and his weird face.  Spell your name like you say it, already.

EDIT:  In case he couldn't get more plastic-paddy Southie than I thought, he actually married a woman yclept Jordan Sullivan.  Geez.

Who names their kid "yclept"?  Is that Lebanese?

Edited by Taro T
  • Haha (+1) 1