Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Your telling me Skinner wouldn’t have waived it for a playoff run?  I could see no thanks to a full season.  Then he’s uprooting his family etc.  A two month playoff run in a contract year probably would have changed his mind.

Maybe so, but Carolina probably didn't want to risk it, so they decided to go ahead and move him when he agreed to waive his NMC rather than risk getting nothing. Plus given that they are a team on a budget they were probably happy to not have to pay his $5.6 million or whatever salary he earned last year.

Just another reason why we got screwed by the O'Reilly trade. Carolina would have probably given us a good defenseman for O'Reilly with a $7.5 million cap hit while only having to pay him $1 million in actually money.

18 minutes ago, Derrico said:

True.  My point is he still had a year left and they didn’t have to trade him.  Heck they may have got more waiting until last years trade deadline.

They made it clear after the trade that coaches felt he was a burden on the room. I’m glad we have Skinner but those comments and the run the Hurricanes went on without him are another piece in how the status of teams and their interactions with the Sabres around the league reflect very poorly on the team.

14 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's almost as if you don't think bad GMs exist. The differing on what's valuable is the key...plenty of GMs over or under value the wrong things which leads them to accept lesser trades. 

I most definitely think there are bad gm’s But I think even a bad GM, if he has options, is going to shop an asset around the league. Then you either believe that all the “good” GM’s felt they couldn’t beat Buffalo’s offer, or you believe that the market was limited by Skinner’s desires to stay near Toronto.

Trade Sheary for a pick, sign Donskoi.   Upgrade and subtract at the same time.  Donskoi remains my number one target.  I'd love to see Nyquist in Sabres blue and gold, however at the end of the day, Donskoi fits up and down the wing depth, and scores well, skates well and can back check.  I'm not touching a center until July 8th or so to see the fall out.  When Matt Duchene is going to end up costing Jack Eichel money, pass!

1 hour ago, Doctor of Philhousley said:

RF - May sound weird coming from a posting newb, but your reemergence has a similar impact on my Sabrespacing as an offer sheet to Marner. Welcome back ***wipes away tears*** 

I was confused by this before I realized there was a second line. 

19 minutes ago, WildCard said:

An 8 figure contract for a goalie is a sound idea.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

This is correct LeBrun was that one who reported it I believe. 

Sometimes GMs luck into acquiring good players for minimal returns see Jeff Gorton with Jacob Trouba and Adam Fox. 

On the flip side some GMs are offered Tyler Seguin for Thomas Vanek, but are afraid to move a player in the division.

Good GMs take advantage of these situations.  

Bad ones don’t and sometimes make the ROR Trade. 

Which type Jason Botterill will evolve into over his Sabres Tenure remains to be seen.

Whoa.  DR turned down Seguin for Vanek?  I don't remember seeing this reported.

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Man seeing "Brawndo" and "posted just now" in an offseason trade rumor thread is like the Sabres fan version of watching the puck drop in an NHL playoff game

Welcome Back Randall, your insights have been greatly missed on the board. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'd like both please.  I don't like Kadri on someone else's team.  I suspect I'd like him significantly more on my team.

He is by far the person I hate the most in the NHL, and he plays on my most hated team.

Honestly I hope he stays

Edited by WildCard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Your telling me Skinner wouldn’t have waived it for a playoff run?  I could see no thanks to a full season.  Then he’s uprooting his family etc.  A two month playoff run in a contract year probably would have changed his mind.

Carolina is a bunch of cheap bastards.  Skinner was probably well aware that he was gone after the contract no matter what happened.  They weren't going to pay him.  So if you have to relocate the family in a year anyway, why not roll the dice and do it early?

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

No, but only because I don't think it would cost us Risto.  They are in a bind and the whole league knows it.  If I'm putting Risto in I'm going big.

Kappanen and their Nylander for Risto and 31

Toronto will not accept that.  Kadri would fit a better role than Nylander and for less money

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.