EDIT Bogosian Requests Trade, Now EROD wants One As Well

Brawndo

It bothers me the same way the Berglund walkaway did before we heard about the mental health stuff: things seem to finally be looking up for the franchise and you stand up and say you don’t want to be here? 

It’s a purely selfish move and it feels like he’s spitting in the face of teammates and fans.

It tells me “Bogo the great team guy” is a fraud.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

It bothers me the same way the Berglund walkaway did: things seem to finally be looking up for the franchise and you stand up and say you don’t want to be here? 

It’s a purely selfish move and it feels like he’s spitting in the face of teammates and fans.

Reasons behind each are apples and oranges difference though.

It's an odd situation all the way around.

Who gains from making it public?  A public declaration reduces trade value.  A player of Bogosian's status and contract already have a bad trade value, this isn't going to help. To move him the Sabres need to trade him for next to nothing to a team that has space to take him or they have to be willing to take someone else's bad contract.

Clearly he didn't care about it being leaked given his response.

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It bothers me the same way the Berglund walkaway did before we heard about the mental health stuff: things seem to finally be looking up for the franchise and you stand up and say you don’t want to be here? 

Not to defend Bogo, but most of those "great team guy" things are fraudulent. 

From Vogl’s Twitter:

Zach Bogosian today:

"I’m going to let any conversation between myself, Jason and my agent stay with me."I like where my game’s going. For the first time in a lot of years, I’m healthy and 100 percent, so I like where I’m going." (1/2)

"As a player, you want to play every game, every chance you get. That’s all I’m really focused on right now."

"There’s not much I can really do other than just work hard, show up and put a smile on my face like I always do."

On scratching: "That might have been a first for me."

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

Bogosian has to really play his butt off just to stay in the lineup and if he gets moody or plays poorly he sits in the press box and now has a microscope  on him.  That is not screaming pay me big bucks next year with a long term deal winner.

Don't know what he is thinking. He thinks he is going to go to another team and look great all of a sudden? 

Do we know whether the trade request was made before the first healthy scratch?  Based on Bogo's quotes upthread, plus Eichel's reaction, it seems like it might've been an emotional knee-jerk response from Bogo to being scratched.  Which still kinda stinks, but might not be as damaging (or as crappy a thing to do) as if he had requested it a few weeks ago and then intentionally leaked it yesterday as a strategic move to force JB's hand.

In Bogo's defense he put in a ton of work to get back out on the ice for what is his contract year.

To be healthy scratched has to be extremely difficult to take considering everything he's been through.    He is itching to play in the worst way, I know the feeling... for him to react this way is not entirely unexpected.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Bogo has played exactly 25 good games for the Sabres and we’ve paid him 25 mill to do it.  He is probably our 9th or 10th best D at this point.  Jbot should try to trade him and then announce that no one wanted him and send him as far away from here as possible. 

Given his lack of speed, lack of offense and questionable D skills is it any wonder we have no place for him.  He is Hunwick at twice the price.  Time for him and us to move on.  Thanks TM.  

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

In Bogo's defense he put in a ton of work to get back out on the ice for what is his contract year.

To be healthy scratched has to be extremely difficult to take considering everything he's been through.    He is itching to play in the worst way, I know the feeling... for him to react this way is not entirely unexpected.

True he worked hard. Still, I expect a veteran leader to react better, as in to keep his comments out of the  press.  

Reading Krugers comments and  it’s hard to argue with RK’s logic or his results.  

In my day I would have traded him to the Seals.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

And Krueger’s response:

Ralph Krueger: "I’m a leader that’s not here to be popular at all. Doesn’t interest me on the day. The past is not the present. It is the past and we will work with the present. What you’re doing today and what you’re giving the team today will decide where your role is ...

...Bogosian didn’t have a training camp. He didn’t have the luxury of trying out his role and his position into being the best player he could be. I believe we still haven’t seen the best Zach Bogosian, and my job is to find the best Zach Bogosian for our team.

what your minutes are and how much you are playing a part in our process. It’s not that I’m cold. I’m doing what I know I need to do as a leader to get the most out of this group and to find the potential of the Buffalo Sabres. That’s what I’m going to work to do every day."

We’ll continue to do that. After 10 games, for him to slip a bit after such a long break and then need some breathing time to take another step up, that opportunity’s there. So the players decide what their ice time and their roles are on the team, not I as a coaching staff.

We might make some decisions that look like they’re biased, but they’re not. We have all the information and we share as much as we can and then we make the decisions on the roster.

"I think a player that hasn’t gone through training camp needs to also be patient before he expects to play his A game."

I was involved in youth hockey and High School hockey here in St Louis for about 12 years   

All the good coaches we had have said, and practiced, the things in bold.  It’s like RK is talking to parents of a 15 year old who wants more ice time.  

• Like (+1) 1

Whereas Sobotka's injury left me highly conflicted; sympathy for the man but guilty happiness to get the player out of the line-up, this is a total win in my opinion. 

Bogosian exposes himself as one of the remaining elements of the tank cesspool culture, and it hopefully expedites his removal from the team improving both the locker room and the on-ice product. Including Pilut, Gilmore, Nelson, and maybe Borgan, Bogo is maybe the organization's 10th or 11th best defenseman? Bye!

Things just keep looking up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Its a tough trade market for a player like Bogo. Even if you bought one & got one free, you know, a bogo it'd be difficult. But with this one all you get is a 29 year old slow, 1 hit away from another hip surgery $5 million cap eater.

We might have to package him with a Mitts or a 3rd Rd pick or eat some salary to move him & most of what i just said seems too much to get rid of without something substantial coming back. Nothing short of a miracle, it seems staying the course with what RK is doing will be what happens & you hope Bogo's play improves to the point where he's happy or we can move him.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Howie's "like" on Twitter is certainly interesting for us, but it's not a good look for him.

Don't have a problem with it. Bogosian (and his agent) still come off worse. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

From Vogl’s Twitter:

Zach Bogosian today:

"I’m going to let any conversation between myself, Jason and my agent stay with me."I like where my game’s going. For the first time in a lot of years, I’m healthy and 100 percent, so I like where I’m going." (1/2)

"As a player, you want to play every game, every chance you get. That’s all I’m really focused on right now."

"There’s not much I can really do other than just work hard, show up and put a smile on my face like I always do."

On scratching: "That might have been a first for me."

LOL. Long time coming, big guy. Long time coming. 

Jack is reportedly shaken by the request, calling Bogosian his best friend.

If this affects his play or his (and others) relationship with Krueger...

Bogosian is being a total diva. ***** that guy.

My respect for Ralph continues to grow.

Didn't seem to affect things yesterday...

And Krueger’s response:

Ralph Krueger: "I’m a leader that’s not here to be popular at all. Doesn’t interest me on the day. The past is not the present. It is the past and we will work with the present. What you’re doing today and what you’re giving the team today will decide where your role is ...

...Bogosian didn’t have a training camp. He didn’t have the luxury of trying out his role and his position into being the best player he could be. I believe we still haven’t seen the best Zach Bogosian, and my job is to find the best Zach Bogosian for our team.

what your minutes are and how much you are playing a part in our process. It’s not that I’m cold. I’m doing what I know I need to do as a leader to get the most out of this group and to find the potential of the Buffalo Sabres. That’s what I’m going to work to do every day."

We’ll continue to do that. After 10 games, for him to slip a bit after such a long break and then need some breathing time to take another step up, that opportunity’s there. So the players decide what their ice time and their roles are on the team, not I as a coaching staff.

We might make some decisions that look like they’re biased, but they’re not. We have all the information and we share as much as we can and then we make the decisions on the roster.

"I think a player that hasn’t gone through training camp needs to also be patient before he expects to play his A game."

Is there video/audio of this?  I went looking but so far no luck.

Jack is reportedly shaken by the request, calling Bogosian his best friend.

If this affects his play or his (and others) relationship with Krueger...

Bogosian is being a total diva. ***** that guy.

My respect for Ralph continues to grow.

Absolutely. All of this. These are the kinds of stones I needed to see from the guy, and they're very big and solid stones to be sure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.