EDIT Bogosian Requests Trade, Now EROD wants One As Well

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Too lazy to google:

Does a team that trades and retains salary also retain the cap hit? What can we fit under the cap in a trade with salary retained?

yes, i believe it would stay if the sabres have to keep paying him. 

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Not following you at all.

If I only looked for today's interviews on the Sabres' site, I wouldn't have had to ask here for the videos, looking like a lazy dork. Therefore, I want to both thank you for your response (providing the URL to the video) and laugh at myself for being an idiot.

Edited by ...
I need another pot of coffee, excuse me.
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:41 PM, Thorny said:

Thinking about it, Botterill has seemingly been in no rush to move a D man, I doubt he’d be compelled to take an inferior offer even now that Bogo has made this public. He’d probably just say, “if you want him, pay the fair price, or we keep him”. 

It’s much easier to play that type of game when the team is winning.

I just meant an inferior offer at or near the deadline. I certainly think JBot doesn't have to rush it, but keeping him after the deadline would just be dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I never thought of Bogo as a prima donna a la OReilly... but you never know... Sounds like Bogo misstepped.  Everyone knows a trade needs to be made and Bogo hx makes me think he thought the writing was on the wall when he was sat for a game.  Though I am betting it had more to do with D rotation.   Bet someone in his agent's office spilled the beans... to try and force the issue.  Just wonder if the move to sit was misinterpreted by Bogo's camp.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm guessing close with the Avs.

Man that team's cap situation is well handled.

Let's not pretend that they were extraordinarily fortunate with the timing on both the McKinnin and Landeskog deals.  It wasn't some sort of super GM skills that made it happen. 

I don't really understand the Bogo vitriol in this thread. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

Has there ever been a player that asked to leave that wasn't vilified?  I mean, it's the same fanbase that booed Brian Campbell after he left.

I mean I understand it's origin but as always hell hath no fury like a Buffalo fan scorned. Although I'm not sure asking for a trade = scorned. It apparently does to this fan base. 

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

I mean I understand it's origin but as always hell hath no fury like a Buffalo fan scorned. Although I'm not sure asking for a trade = scorned. It apparently does to this fan base. 

And yet players that forced their way out in a way that actually harmed the team are revered.

#StillbitteraboutHasek

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

In Bogo's defense he put in a ton of work to get back out on the ice for what is his contract year.

To be healthy scratched has to be extremely difficult to take considering everything he's been through.    He is itching to play in the worst way, I know the feeling... for him to react this way is not entirely unexpected.

He did and I think his perseverance should be commended.  But as a someone who has regularly chastised Matthews for being all about himself I was surprised you are somewhat defending Bogosian here.  Being sat can piss you off, but the response should not be to go public with a trade request.

Bogosian's best response on being healthy scratched should be: "We have a lot of very talented defenders and the competition level is high. I've been at a slight disadvantage having gone through surgery and recovering the early part of the season. The guys around me have done a great job and while I have worked really hard to get back into the game there's another level I can get to. There's another level that I need to get to. Clearly the coaching staff feels I can be better and that's my goal now."

Unless there is some seriously political crap going on (there doesn't appear to be any) then any other response is Bogosian playing the ultimate "It's all about me card". 

I would also think Eichel's response was genuine, but he's also calling out Bogosian in a way.  He's letting him know that his trade request is impacting the team while still acknowledging that Bogosian has to have his own self-interests in mind. It's a way of saying, "I get that you need ice time for your next contract, but openly talking about it is going to have an impact on the locker room."  

Really curious how Bogosian was received the next day. 

• Like (+1) 5

I love the old "do what's best for his family" stuff. Bogo should have all the money he and his family will ever need. My God. Be devoted #1 to the Buffalo Sabres. That's why he should be scorned.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

And yet players that forced their way out in a way that actually harmed the team are revered.

#StillbitteraboutHasek

Revered I think is a bit strong. Maybe for his play. Personally? I've always detected a certain ambivalence for the guy, even before he engineered his own trade, screwing the Sabres (and us) in the process. The Nolan situation, the 1997 playoffs, drunk driving, language barrier, xenophobia, just his personality in general. Hasek wasn't loved by the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t understand Bogo’s people’s intention in making this request public.  There is no benefit and it hurts his marketability (if there is any) and hurts the team he was once a leader on.  
There is no market for an injury prone, no speed, no offense D at a 5 mill price tag.  His request cut his best friend who is having a career year to the core. Nice.  For a 29 year old man he is acting like a petulant child.  Why would any team want to add that guy to their locker room?

A gentlemen may make such a request but he tells the GM in private and then works his ass off to get back in the lineup so he can showcase what is left if his skills to earn trade or earn a spot on the team full time thereby earning an new contract somewhere in the league.

Hard to get a new deal as a vet playing in the AHL once getting waived.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

He did and I think his perseverance should be commended.  But as a someone who has regularly chastised Matthews for being all about himself I was surprised you are somewhat defending Bogosian here.  Being sat can piss you off, but the response should not be to go public with a trade request.

Bogosian's best response on being healthy scratched should be: "We have a lot of very talented defenders and the competition level is high. I've been at a slight disadvantage having gone through surgery and recovering the early part of the season. The guys around me have done a great job and while I have worked really hard to get back into the game there's another level I can get to. There's another level that I need to get to. Clearly the coaching staff feels I can be better and that's my goal now."

Unless there is some seriously political crap going on (there doesn't appear to be any) then any other response is Bogosian playing the ultimate "It's all about me card". 

I would also think Eichel's response was genuine, but he's also calling out Bogosian in a way.  He's letting him know that his trade request is impacting the team while still acknowledging that Bogosian has to have his own self-interests in mind. It's a way of saying, "I get that you need ice time for your next contract, but openly talking about it is going to have an impact on the locker room."  

Really curious how Bogosian was received the next day. 

That’s the thing that gets me.  Putting aside the timing element - he’s basically saying he deserves to be ahead of one (or more) of his defensive peers.  Those guys have been working hard too - who does he think should be sitting so that he can play?

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

I disagree with Harrington's conclusion.  Bogo, if he is going to be moved, should be moved when the time is right and for the correct return, not "right now."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.