What happens when Montour returns?

WildCard

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Why?  Didn't they tell him "get a house"?

I used to be a huge baseball fan. I will never forget the red Sox signed a pitcher named Bronson Arroyo to a new multi year deal. he gave them a home town discount to stay with the Sox. 

It was like a month later they traded him to Cincinnati. 

I would not put a lot of weight into the buy a house comment. By this is that there will be no loyalties to any player. If there is a good deal to be made they will do it, regardless of what they just said to the media 

Edited by miles

Risto is probably the 2nd most 'talented' D-man on this team

Risto is playing a lot better so far early this year.

Risto supposedly is 'happier' now than he was last year

Risto said RK is his best/favorite coach he ever had in the NHL....

With all that said, I still see Risto as making more mistakes on the ice than any other D-man on this team. He still is on the ice for more goals against than any other D-man. Is that a function of his minutes again?  Maybe...but I for one am not in the 'all is well' camp with him.  I'd still like to see him moved. Move Montour into this group...keep everyone else the same...Scandella plays this year and comes off the books next year.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Montour could get a conditioning assignment in Rochester to buy some more time. 

Yes thats what i think happens too. For Bogo as well whenever he's ready. Only makes sense that you'd want to get these guys coming off injuries time to get up to game speed. Barring other unforeseen injuries of course

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

With all that said, I still see Risto as making more mistakes on the ice than any other D-man on this team. He still is on the ice for more goals against than any other D-man. Is that a function of his minutes again?  Maybe...but I for one am not in the 'all is well' camp with him.  I'd still like to see him moved. Move Montour into this group...keep everyone else the same...Scandella plays this year and comes off the books next year.

I don't think many are in the "all is well' camp with Risto. There's definitely areas of his game that could stand to be improved upon. But he offers something that nobody else provides on our back end. That strong physical presence that dishes out the physicality & doesn't just take it all game long.

I think a D core needs a mix of physical players & offensive players. If Risto is taken out of the equation, our d core looks a lot more wimpy. Just my opinion of course ?

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

In about a week we're going to have to confront the issue of an overloaded RH d corpse and 3 guys that are playing pretty well on that side; so what happens when Montour comes back? I really don't want Jokiharju going anywhere, and with McCabe having the A I doubt he sits. So it's either Scandella, or Jokiharju IMO

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

RHD corpse? Is this about Bogosian?

Friedman seemed to hint that Botterill is exploring options for other guys beyond Risto and seeing where the best value is.

If you can get Ehlers for Montour, but not Risto, does that make you move Montour? Does someone out there love McCabe, or regret not offering more for Miller? What is the market for Scandy?

But the most likely solution is to send Gilmour down when Montour is ready, rotate your seven until the next injury arrives or Joker sits out too much and wait until the deadline, or someone gets desperate for D.

I thought the exact same thing.

The obvious answer is Joker gets sent down, but I don’t think that is the answer.  There is no cap or roster ramifications to his returning since he isn’t on LTIR and we are only carrying 22 players. 

The only question is who does he send to the press box. At this time my guess would be Scandella with Miller shifting to LHD and partnering with Joker.  However it could all depend on how who is nicked up, who is going well and who isn’t and how he wants to deploy Montour.  

His return doesn’t force Jbot to make a trade, but it doesn’t preclude one either if the right deal comes along.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Gilmour goes down.  Joki rotates in to give other D a rest.

Not concerned over Gilmour but I don't think you want Joki to sit out games. I think it makes more sense to send him down (even though he has been good) to keep playing and working on his game. Young players need to play, not sit. So I think you send him down until you make a deal to trade one veteran away somewhere for something..........

The buy a house thing doesn't matter. You just sit down with the guy when you send him and tell him it's temporary and he will be back up very soon. That's the whole point of having a farm team close to the big club isn't it? 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not concerned over Gilmour but I don't think you want Joki to sit out games. I think it makes more sense to send him down (even though he has been good) to keep playing and working on his game. Young players need to play, not sit. So I think you send him down until you make a deal to trade one veteran away somewhere for something..........

The buy a house thing doesn't matter. You just sit down with the guy when you send him and tell him it's temporary and he will be back up very soon. That's the whole point of having a farm team close to the big club isn't it? 

I would be very interested to see the analytic stats for Henri Jokiharju to date. I don't believe he's going anywhere based on his play to date, granted, small in size. But still, I think the stats, analytics and contract cost/control are going to be significant factors to him going nowhere.

I'm new to the analytics side of it, just reading on it in the past year or so, but people are turning to them more and more I've noticed.

This is a great “problem” to have.  

Joker is doing quite well playing with Scandinella, who is also playing well.  Montour makes  7 solid NHL defensemen plus Bogo.  A notch down we have Pilut and Gilmour.  Another notch down we have Nelson and Borgen as well   

We still need a few forwards so things will get interesting.   

3 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

I don't think many are in the "all is well' camp with Risto. There's definitely areas of his game that could stand to be improved upon. But he offers something that nobody else provides on our back end. That strong physical presence that dishes out the physicality & doesn't just take it all game long.

I think a D core needs a mix of physical players & offensive players. If Risto is taken out of the equation, our d core looks a lot more wimpy. Just my opinion of course ?

And Risto plays almost every game each year..which is important, and Risto>>>>Scandella (who will be be gone soon enough) and For the record I like Scandella

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bogo isn't playing for buffalo this season

I think that is likely true, but second half of the season if there are injuries you never know.

I really think the guy to trade is Montour. The current 6 are clicking and you can get return for him. Then Gilmour is your immediate injury fill in with Pilut called up if/when there is a longer term injury. If we can't trade Montour for a scoring winger, I'd trade him for some muscle and a draft pick or prospect.  

But also, time is on JBot's side.He does not have to rush this, and can wait until teams weak on D start to panic. 

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'll take that bet

Bogo games played 

2014-15 ... 62

2015-16 ... 64

2016-17 ... 56

2017-18 ... 18

2018-19 ... 65

why would it be impossible to imagine Bogo playing 30 or more games for the Sabres? His contract is highly unmovable. Not impossible. But almost.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Bogo games played 

2014-15 ... 62

2015-16 ... 64

2016-17 ... 56

2017-18 ... 18

2018-19 ... 65

why would it be impossible to imagine Bogo playing 30 or more games for the Sabres? His contract is highly unmovable. Not impossible. But almost.

I haven't been playing super close attention, but this current thing he has sounds serious and very long term as far as this season goes.

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I haven't been playing super close attention, but this current thing he has sounds serious and very long term as far as this season goes.

Huh?

i guess I’m really out of the loop. I thought he was just healing from his surgery over the summer ?‍♂️

what the h e double hockey sticks happened to Bogo now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.