What happens when Montour returns?

WildCard

Joker leads defense with 9 giveaways in 9 games.  He can also be sent down without clearing waivers.  Although I am still up for a Risto trade for the right return I think he will be around for the rest of this year as his play has improved.  Not making as many mistakes, they just seem to be amplified because they usually lead to goals.  Risto brings a physicality that we need on the back end.  He will definitely not be the point producer he was since he has been taken off top PP unit. I would much rather see Risto at 30 points and a plus number on (+ --).  

Looking to the future Scandella seems to be the obvious choice to get moved.  

Bogo when healthy can come in later in the year and be the (trade deadline) pick up to add more experienced depth.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I really really don't want Bogo back.  

I'm with you on this. I understand he is good but he is hurt too often to make it so they have to hold a roster spot for him. I think there was a stat posted that he was in 63% of the games. Which is not enough for high paid player like him. I know he has no trade value at this point so the Sabres are stuck with the bad contract. Plus he hasn't worked with the players in practice so it will take him a bit of time to get going once he does get healthy. 

When The team is garbage like they were, it didn't matter because they were not going to the playoffs. this team as of now feels like a winner

Edited by miles
  • Like (+1) 1

This is his last year here.  You want him back because if he can prove he's healthy enough to play some team will take his experience and leadership as a 7-8 D for the playoffs and the Sabres will get some level of return, even if that return is a 7th rounder in 2022.

If he does not return, the Sabres don't even get that.  Bogosian isn't a BAD player, he's just hurt too often.  I don't know if he can keep up with the Sabres game play this season, especially after all the hip problems, but he was never the worst guy on the ice.  He just wasn't worth his contract.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Bogosian, more so than Montour, makes a Risto or Scandella deal more likely to me, given the physical and penalty killing elements.

I think Zach was our best penalty killer last year.

The problem with bogo, as miles notes, is his injury history. He played well last year, but how badly do we want to make room for him when he's a UFA at the end of this season? Do we really want to sacrifice some of this defensive depth just to give Bogo 40 games?

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

This is his last year here.  You want him back because if he can prove he's healthy enough to play some team will take his experience and leadership as a 7-8 D for the playoffs and the Sabres will get some level of return, even if that return is a 7th rounder in 2022.

If he does not return, the Sabres don't even get that.  Bogosian isn't a BAD player, he's just hurt too often.  I don't know if he can keep up with the Sabres game play this season, especially after all the hip problems, but he was never the worst guy on the ice.  He just wasn't worth his contract.

Bogo has never played a NHL playoff game and the team would need to fit his Salary under the cap unless Buffalo retains up to 50%. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

The problem with bogo, as miles notes, is his injury history. He played well last year, but how badly do we want to make room for him when he's a UFA at the end of this season? Do we really want to sacrifice some of this defensive depth just to give Bogo 40 games?

No, we do it to improve our forwards, knowing that Bogo can replace Risto’s defensive minutes and physical presence if healthy, and that we can still roll Montour/Miller/Joker/Borgen if he’s not.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Bogo has never played a NHL playoff game and the team would need to fit his Salary under the cap unless Buffalo retains up to 50%. 

There’s always a first time. 

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No, we do it to improve our forwards, knowing that Bogo can replace Risto’s defensive minutes and physical presence if healthy, and that we can still roll Montour/Miller/Joker/Borgen if he’s not.

There’s always a first time. 

I guess we could carry Bogo as a 7th D if we trade someone on that right side? Given the D pairs we've seen most recently:

Dahlin - Joker

McCabe - Risto/Montour

Scandella - Miller

Bogo

Risto really looks like the odd man out here assuming Joker isn't going anywhere.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Stealing this from Brawndo in the other thread

"at some point this season" could be February/March. So maybe this thing isn't particularly urgent.

But the question still becomes: who sits when Montour comes back in a month?

How about April?

Scandella sits when Montour returns.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Why would Scandella sit? He's on the opposite side and is having a good season so far.

The guy getting bumped for Montour will be Miller, Scandella, or Jokiharju (Assuming all 7 are healthy.).   A case can be made that each doesn't deserve to sit, but somebody has to.  I'd asked in another thread (maybe up thread?) if Montour had been killing penalties in the preseason; if he has, could see him coming in for Scandy and taking his PK duty and Ristolainen's PP duty.  Would expect Miller to shift to the left side in that case.

If Montour isn't viewed by RK as a PKer, doubt that Scandy comes out and it's down to Miller or Henri.

But Scandy being an UFA at the end of the year works against him as he's not likely in the LT plans.

46 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Why would Scandella sit? He's on the opposite side and is having a good season so far.

Unless they send down Joker, it’s either him or Miller.  Miller was acquired to play in this system and is playing with Dahlin. Risto is playing the most minutes and McCabe is better then Scandy defensively. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Unless they send down Joker, it’s either him or Miller.  Miller was acquired to play in this system and is playing with Dahlin. Risto is playing the most minutes and McCabe is better then Scandy defensively. 

Montour was acquired to play in this system as well. Botterill was talking about moving towards this type of defense for over year before he got Krueger as coach. 

• Like (+1) 2

Gilmour goes down and Scandy sits.  But JFC we have Pilut AND Borgen sitting in Roch right now who are old enough they don't necessarily need anymore seasoning and have alot of potential.  I still don't want the Sabres to move Risto for the sake of moving him but if the right price (top 6 forward) return is available they can make that trade and still have very good depth imo.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Bogosian still has leadership experience, regardless of it being in the playoffs, and at the end of the season his hit against the cap will be minimal and Buffalo could easily retain part of it.  I'm not doing the exact math, but I would venture his hit would be about $1.1M and the Sabres could eat $550k of that at the trade deadline.

That said, it doesn't even matter.  He's able to return and as such the Sabres have to adjust.  They're not going to buy him out. 

From the Athletic - LeBrun on possible trade deadline trade candidates  https://theathletic.com/1301341/2019/10/17/lebrun-a-look-ahead-to-the-trade-deadline-to-see-who-may-be-in-play-and-which-teams-may-be-interested/

Marco Scandella, Buffalo Sabres

If Rasmus Ristolainen ends up staying, and it sounds like he’s happy right now, then something has to eventually give on a Sabres blue line that’s going to be bubbling with bodies once everyone is healthy. Not that there’s any hurry to decide anything. Especially not with a trip overseas coming next month. But at some point this season I suspect the Sabres could deal a blueliner given those numbers. Scandella is a pending UFA on July 1 and currently carries a cap hit of $4 million. It’s not out of the question depending on league-wide interest that he’s the odd man out later in the season. He’s a quality veteran teams normally look to add closer to the deadline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.