Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

On 5/25/2019 at 8:25 AM, Hoss said:

Only a few good nuggets in 31 Thoughts: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-navigating-phil-kessel-trade-wont-easy-penguins/

Says the Pens and Wild agreed to a deal for Kessel and Kessel vetoed so the teams leaked it. Says Arizona is high on Kessel’s list.

Also says Zucker was traded twice now to have it vetoed (Calgary at the deadline).

Karlsson is interested in seeing the free agent process and might still really want to be in Tampa.

A lot of interest in Kevin Hayes.

Buffalo is never mentioned.

Hayes is not worth the likely 5.5M plus contract he's going to sign.  He was a wet fart in the playoffs, and does absolutely nothing for that type of cap hit. We're talking about another soft Okposo signing with Kevin Hayes.  I don't give a ***** if he's friends with Jack. 

On 5/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, dudacek said:

Kyle Turris is apparently available.

Pretty consistent 50-point centre prior to crashing this year. 5 years left at 6 million per. Playing well for Botts at the Worlds right now.

Interesting buy low opportunity, or cap anchor in the making?

He hasn't been a quality player since he left Ottawa.  That's a hefty contract to take on, even if he's available on the cheap.  Unless they're taking Okposo, pass. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

EROD would have been the 6th highest scoring forward on the Bruins and 9th on the Blues not counting trade deadline acquisitions.

I’m not sure he’d even see the ice on those teams.  

Jason Dawe comes to mind.  Put up points on a severely talent deficient team but did nothing away from the Sabres.

Zemgus rookie season ad well.  Give a 4th line guy 2nd line minutes and he’ll put up mediocre middle 6 points.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m not sure he’d even see the ice on those teams.  

Jason Dawe comes to mind.  Put up points on a severely talent deficient team but did nothing away from the Sabres.

Zemgus rookie season ad well.  Give a 4th line guy 2nd line minutes and he’ll put up mediocre middle 6 points.

I think while it’s a plausible opinion, it’s incorrect. I think he has way more “hockey smarts” then Jason Dawe. Hopefully we find out this year when they ice two viable top lines.

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I think while it’s a plausible opinion, it’s incorrect. I think he has way more “hockey smarts” then Jason Dawe. Hopefully we find out this year when they ice two viable top lines.

Gerald Wallace and David Lee of the NBA are good examples of guys who put up points because they got enough opportunities in “somebody has to score on a bad team” type situations. I’m just not convinced anything can be said about ERod’s long-term abilities with any sort of confidence.

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Gerald Wallace and David Lee of the NBA are good examples of guys who put up points because they got enough opportunities in “somebody has to score on a bad team” type situations. I’m just not convinced anything can be said about ERod’s long-term abilities with any sort of confidence.

The argument works both ways. You just don’t know until a player is put in proper role.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

In which a reporter suggests Milan Lucic for Rasmus Ristolainen despite the fact that Lucic is a pure cap dump and Buffalo is the LAST team that'd have interest in him:

https://theathletic.com/990912/2019/05/23/if-the-sabres-were-to-trade-rasmus-ristolainen-what-might-they-get-in-return/

That was a pure garbage trade scenario. 

38 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Tampa calls JBotts offering Callahan, JT Miller, and Raddysh for Nelson and Thompson. What do you do?

Hang up cuz it it's a prank. They are just going to give a bona fide top 6 player and a top prospect for garbage x 2? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Hang up cuz it it's a prank. They are just going to give a bona fide top 6 player and a top prospect for garbage x 2? 

Tampa is trying to shed salary so they can sign Point.

Carolina got Teravainen in a trade with Chicago because of cap dump of Bickell.  Carolina only gave up 2nd and 3rd rd picks.  

Islanders got Leddy from Chicago for a bunch of garbage.

Byfuglien went from Chicago to Atlanta/Winnipeg in a blockbuster trade. 

These are just a couple that come to mind where Chicago may not have got the return they wanted because teams knew they were up against the cap and had to shed salary.

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

The hockey smarts (and perpetual high revving motor) are why he's in the NHL.  None of his physical measurables, except skating, are anywhere close to NHL quality.  And even the skating isn't elite.  But he's demonstrated he belongs.

Pretty much the anti-Jason Dawe.

24 minutes ago, inkman said:

Tage Thompson is 4 months older than Raddysh and performed better in the AHL this year.

If Thompson (and Alex Nylander) are garbage, Raddysh is not a top prospect; if he is a top prospect they are not garbage.

This trade (essentially, Miller to take on Callahan’s salary) does sound like a bad prank.

I would suspect every single team out there with cap issues will place a call to Buffalo so we will hear tons of these rumors. I would be fine with adding one or two cap dumps (especially if they are shorter term) but only if we also got young talent along with them. Talent that can make this roster now. Draft picks with them far less enticing since that just means even more waiting on the slow process. 

Callahan's "leadership" didn't help Tampa against Columbus so how's it going to help us??? Lucic? Slow and way past his prime. We do need to get tougher, but I doubt he'd be overly motivated to try to win here. Can't see the fit. 

With all the cap crap we have plus the complete line-up disasters of the last 2 years, I think that JBots must be very tough about taking them on.  After the favour he did StL last year, one more trade that even gives me an impure thought should cost him his job.  If he can screw his coach by only giving him 75% of an NHL quality team, the fans by not making moves to keep the team in the playoff hunt, the players by telling them that their winning was a mirage, and the owner by bungling the O'Reilly trade, then he can screw everyone else with the same alacrity.  Callahan should require 2 firsts and top 2 prospects for Tage Thompson, which is equivalent to Point's offer sheet.  Zaitsev should require Andersen and Kapanen for Nylander, which keep their Nylander happy and keeps Marner.  Yes, those are stupid.  None require Okposo or a signed and extended Sobotka going the other way.

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Tage Thompson is 4 months older than Raddysh and performed better in the AHL this year.

If Thompson (and Alex Nylander) are garbage, Raddysh is not a top prospect; if he is a top prospect they are not garbage.

This trade (essentially, Miller to take on Callahan’s salary) does sound like a bad prank.

Amazing how perceptions work. 

Raddysh: 70games, 18goals, 28assists for 46points or 0.66ppg

Nylander: 49games, 12goals, 19assists, for 31 points or 0.63ppg

If I am trading with Tampa, Anthony Cirelli is on the list not Raddysh. I might switch out Raddysh for Foote. At least then it makes it easier to consider trading Ristolainen. 

15 hours ago, inkman said:

What's Derek Roy up to?  Maybe we can sign him and then immediately trade him to Pittsburgh for Malkin.  All these years later, it needs to happen!

15 hours ago, inkman said:

Tampa calls and offers Miller, Callahan, and Foote for Ristolainen and Nylander. What do you do? 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tampa calls and offers Miller, Callahan, and Foote for Ristolainen and Nylander. What do you do? 

I'd say no, I love Foote but we help Tampa way to much in this deal by bailing them out of cap hell and giving them Risto whom if traded I'd want as far away from Buffalo as possible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.