GDT: Sabres at Leafs 2-25-19 7PM

spndnchz

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anderson knew what Eichel was trying to do. He knew Dahlin was sitting there. You'll not that Andreson was already in position with his pad before Dahlin even shot the puck.  Maybe in time Dahlin will learn he can afford to take a split second to look at the opening a goalie is giving him. In that case he should have shot over the pad or into the five hole.

Dahlin was off balance there 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anderson knew what Eichel was trying to do. He knew Dahlin was sitting there. You'll note that Andreson was already in position with his pad before Dahlin even shot the puck.  Maybe in time Dahlin will learn he can afford to take a split second to look at the opening a goalie is giving him. In that case he should have shot over the pad or into the five hole.

Yes, experience is worth something.   He is a fine goalie. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Good night, I see our issues and our strengths. This won't be a popular opinion but we're closer then most think. 

I whole heartedly agree. One only need to look at 22 and 28 and realize they were top 6 players only a short time ago on this team. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I whole heartedly agree. One only need to look at 22 and 28 and realize they were top 6 players only a short time ago on this team. 

I really don't disagree.  Replace Zegmus, Sheary, Sobotka, Scandella, Hunwick, KO, Pommenstein with better pieces and a lot of these losses are wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

If Phil would have pulled Hutton after the second goal, we win this game.

Prove me wrong.

You know that “what if’s” cannot be proven but mathematically we lost by two goals, so you are wrong. Had he pulled  Hutton after 2 then the score is 4-3, we lose trying to take the lead in the third.  

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Good night, I see our issues and our strengths. This won't be a popular opinion but we're closer then most think. 

This has been my view for a while. We need more consistent goaltending but otherwise I think we are 2 forwards and 1 defenseman away from being a solid contender. That defenseman might be Montour, I don't know enough about him to say, but if we can get a couple FAs up front we could be really good next year.

I still like the attitude this year though. They don't quit. That is something to build on. 

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Closer to what?

we still have a massive hole where ROR used to skate, and McCabe-Risto continues to show themselves incapable of the role their games are designed for.

Reading Housley’s post-gam comments.  I find nothing to contradict the conclusion I came to awhile ago that he’s not the guy.  Effectively: “It was a good game, minus all the bad stuff...”

the roster is incomplete.  Plenty of JAGs.  Still, a higher standard is required.  Still.  If the coach is willing to accept less than the best,  what are we even doing?  

Not winning won back-to-back games in nearly three months is still totally unacceptable. Is this team better than last year? Yes, but my God, that was one of the worst teams in the history of the NHL.

This team has more Talent than they are showing on the ice and with back-to-back games coming up against Pittsburgh and Toronto this weekend, the trend of being a 500 team is sure to continue. With their playoff lives on the line, I expect more, way more out of this group.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Risto played 26:11 and finished -3.  He is -25 for the season   Hoping Montour can take some significant minutes away from Risto.   

This is a problem. 

Stats don’t tell the whole story. Risto is always on against the best offensive players, and there are 4 other players with him. He can’t stop them by himself. Montour is not a better defensive defenseman, his skill is offense.

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

Matthews had a few moments tonight, but I would say Eichel was much more impressive.

The Matthews/Eichel debate will end someday.....Jack will be chasing Cups with the Sabres and Auston will be chasing contracts.....just sayin.....

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, ... said:

I really don't disagree.  Replace Zegmus, Sheary, Sobotka, Scandella, Hunwick, KO, Pommenstein with better pieces and a lot of these losses are wins. 

Problem is 5 of them have contracts that extend into 2020 and beyond.  I can see trading Scandella in the offseason and Sobotka could be a buyout candidate but it will take creativity to rid yourself of some of these.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.