Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

41 minutes ago, freester said:

Sam is younger and hasn't reached his peak yet.  However he still produces more points than Skinner.  8 year contracts are better served by younger players than older players.  Sorry you couldn't follow the age concept.  It is a bit complicated.

Although I completely agree with you the last two sentences were completely unnecessary.

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sam's pretty good at all aspects of the hockey. 

Not a physical player, weak on his skates, easily pushed off 50/50 pucks... lacks determination in the d-zone.  

Forecheck is weak.   

Doesn't skate well enough to be a difference maker on the back-check.   

Not a vocal presence, lacks leadership qualities.     

TRpm of +4.5 is just OK on a bad team.     

35% on faceoffs.... terrible.       

Below average shot, not a threat to score from the outside.  Career goal %:

image.thumb.png.04e906fe51fad00da9bdf64fa77406d0.png

He only puts up numbers when playing with Eichel.   

An inconsistent player, disappears from the scoresheet for long stretches.

That said, I like Sam and hope he continues to grow, but I don't see him as a critical piece moving forward.... certainly not in the same conversation of a Mitch Marner.    

image.png

16 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Not a physical player, weak on his skates, easily pushed off 50/50 pucks... lacks determination in the d-zone.  

Forecheck is weak.   

Not a vocal presence, lacks leadership qualities.     

TRpm of +4.5 is just OK on a bad team.     

35% on faceoffs.... terrible.       

That said, I like Sam and hope he continues to grow, but I don't see him as a critical piece moving forward.... certainly not in the same conversation of a Mitch Marner.    

image.png

It’s almost like you didn’t watch last season.

(Not that I blame you. ?)

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Forecheck is weak.   

Huh?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

image.png

Not to play devils advocate, but "only putting up points when playing with Eichel & disappearing from the scoresheet for stretches" could also be applied to Skinner for this past season. For Reinhart its a ding on him for scoring primarily from the inside, but when people talk about Skinner scoring from the inside, they talk about it as 1 of his strengths. We need that inside presence imo, & Reinhart is 1 of the guys we have who's not afraid to be around the net & is pretty productive there. And at what, 23 years old, has lots of room to grow.

This is Skinners Goals area chart, unless i'm mistaken it's not that drastically different from Reinharts. What is he, 2%  points better from the top circle & 6% on the bottom? Skinner no doubt is a better sniper, but i think Reinhart is the more complete player. Give him another few years of growth where he's the same age as Skinner is now & crosses that threshold from young man to man & he'll be stronger on his skates. I bet at 23 Skinner wasnt as strong on his skates as he is now. image.thumb.png.381fc182cfb0f6af3c00f55b67875484.png

• Like (+1) 1

Reinhart played 1042 minutes with Eichel and with them on the ice the team scored 75 goals. So 0.072 goals a minute I think is the math. 4.32gp60

Reinhart played 512 minutes without Eichel and on the ice the team scored 25 goals. So 0.049 goals a minute. 2.93gp60

So yes Reinhart scores more with Eichel, but he also generates on his own. This makes sense to me because Eichel is a very good player so he would bump those stats but Reinhart does have some offense on his own. I would be very curious to review these numbers again if Reinhart were paired with Mitts for a season. 

6 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Not to play devils advocate, but "only putting up points when playing with Eichel & disappearing from the scoresheet for stretches" could also be applied to Skinner for this past season. For Reinhart its a ding on him for scoring primarily from the inside, but when people talk about Skinner scoring from the inside, they talk about it as 1 of his strengths. We need that inside presence imo, & Reinhart is 1 of the guys we have who's not afraid to be around the net & is pretty productive there. And at what, 23 years old, has lots of room to grow.

This is Skinners Goals area chart, unless i'm mistaken it's not that drastically different from Reinharts. What is he, 2%  points better from the top circle & 6% on the bottom? Skinner no doubt is a better sniper, but i think Reinhart is the more complete player. Give him another few years of growth where he's the same age as Skinner is now & crosses that threshold from young man to man & he'll be stronger on his skates. I bet at 23 Skinner wasnt as strong on his skates as he is now. image.thumb.png.381fc182cfb0f6af3c00f55b67875484.png

I will give Reinhart credit for always seeming to improve his strength ever season. I remember year 1 and 2 where he was like a baby gazelle out there. Last year he took body jolts and stayed up and in control for the most part. I really hope he continues to work on his skating and his strength this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart played 1042 minutes with Eichel and with them on the ice the team scored 75 goals. So 0.072 goals a minute I think is the math. 4.32gp60

Reinhart played 512 minutes without Eichel and on the ice the team scored 25 goals. So 0.049 goals a minute. 2.93gp60

So yes Reinhart scores more with Eichel, but he also generates on his own. This makes sense to me because Eichel is a very good player so he would bump those stats but Reinhart does have some offense on his own. I would be very curious to review these numbers again if Reinhart were paired with Mitts for a season. 

If we were to get an experienced 2C to pair Sam with I might just cry. Eichel/Skinner and Sam/2C. It’s like a Katy Perry teenage dream. 

I keep refreshing this page looking for an update on the contract situation. Lots of people saying today is the day.

You've guys all made lots of good points on the pros & cons of the deal. While the back half of the contract does scare me a bit, I still don't think it'll turn into an Okposo or Moulson kinda thing. That bar is pretty low lol. Skinners shot is/was better than both of theirs, as is his skating. So if he falls off maybe 15-18 goals per year would be his floor.

All conjecture of course. I personally think Skinner is worth $7mil x 8 but no way in hell does JBots let him walk. So around $70 mil over 8 it is i'm guessing

I met Katy Perry at Warped Tour at Darien Lake the summer that song came out. She performed and was dating the lead singer of Gym Class Heroes.

She introduced herself to me and my brother in the front of the line for the Superman and was incredibly nice. Then she got stuck on the ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I always thought Pink should have done that song.

More obviously in her wheelhouse, I guess. But I think Perry's booming range and depth at the bottom of it gave the song ... a lil' extra something. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I met Katy Perry at Warped Tour at Darien Lake the summer that song came out. She performed and was dating the lead singer of Gym Class Heroes.

She introduced herself to me and my brother in the front of the line for the Superman and was incredibly nice. Then she got stuck on the ride.

huh. what a strange history that ride had.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Do they still have The Viper?

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Do they still have The Viper?

They did when I went last year. They've added a couple good rides lately, too. But I haven't been since and, I'd assume, I'll never go again.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

huh. what a strange history that ride had.

It's all a bit of a Twilight Zone kinda thing. First, I meet Katy Perry and Travis McCoy. Travis didn't say a word.

Perry introduced herself as Kate and asked where we were from and just seemed legitimately happy to chat. Then she gets stuck.

About two months ago I learned that people I was good friends with in college were there when it happened. One person was on the ride and another was in the line several people back and got mad because it held the line up for a long time. We didn't know each other then or even meet, but years later we discovered we all had a shared moment there.